Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:53 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You must be one of the ones counting on a check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 01:57 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
A great number of African-Americans vote for black candidates because they are black. The PC crowd will call me a racist for saying that, but that doesn't change the facts. I didn't say anything about how whites vote.
There's an interesting article about this on the Washington Post blog today.

Colin Powell's American Journey

Quote:
There's a word for the inability to see beyond race as the explanation for someone's behavior: Racism. And that's what it is, I think, when someone says that Colin Powell's endorsement of Barack Obama is "just about race." (See the Rush Limbaugh reaction and all the nasty comments by readers on J-Mart's blog at Politico. See also Pat Buchanan, via Memeorandum)

Powell laid out his thinking in clear terms. He gave pros and cons for both candidates. And he never said that race played no role whatsoever in his endorsement ("I can't deny that it will be a historic event for an African-American to become president").

The "just about race" crowd should go back and read Powell's memoir. In it, you see someone who has always been aware of race, who has overcome racial hostility, and who is conscious that he's a trailblazer among African Americans -- but who never let race become a controlling fact in his life. He believes in an American meritocracy in which anyone with enough drive and ambition can be successful. Just look at the title of his book: "My American Journey."
Quote:
Colin Powell didn't merely endorse Barack Obama yesterday. He endorsed the basic American ideal that everyone stands on equal footing, that anyone can grow up to be president, and that people of all backgrounds contribute to our democracy. He cited a Muslim soldier -- one of ours -- who gave his life for our country in Iraq.

Powell in his memoir has a message for young blacks who might drift into cultural isolation: "I want black youngsters to learn about black writers, poets, musicians, scientists and artists, and about the culture and history of Africa. At the same time, we have to accept that black children in America are not going to have to make their way in an African world. They are going to have to make their way in an American world. Along with their black heritage, they should know about the Greek origins of our democracy, the British origins of our judicial system, and the contributions to our national tapestry of Americans of all kinds and colors."

Last edited by GreenGene; 10-20-2008 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-20-2008, 05:18 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i know that people keep hoping something will clinch the deal for obama, but americans do not want more government spending and more taxes. powell is an african-american who endorsed an african-american candidate. it is just one person's opinion and one person's vote. you have got to get over the fact that you think some votes count more than others in this country!
Correction, they (we) do not want to be taxed for the wealthy.

Powell was very intelligent until he endorsed Obama. Now he's just black on black?

Old 10-20-2008, 05:22 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
I am a democrat that is supporting John Mccain
get your own facts right
What exactly was wrong about my facts. Maybe you should read the whole thread prior to jumping down someone's throat. Then get YOUR facts straight.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:26 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,999 times
Powell's son endorsed McCain. It isn't as big of a deal as Powell himself, but his son is a Republican and not a liberal in Republican's clothing.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:27 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Yep, this is THE big nail in the coffin, Bush's own Secretary of State has made a forceful case FOR Obama and the DEMs.

By Wednesday we should see this in the poll numbers. Looking forward to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections