Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 02:37 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times

Advertisements

In a meeting with the editorial board of The Standard-Times, Rep. Frank, D-Mass., also called for a 25 percent cut in military spending, saying the Pentagon has to start choosing from its many weapons programs, and that upper-income taxpayers are going to see an increase in what they are asked to pay.

No wonder Iran and other enemys of the US are so anxious to see Obama and team running the White House. This kind of thinking took years to repair, and if you don't see the potential for a draft (that's right, YOU and YOUR children) under Obama during time of need because the military will be cut to the core...think again.

Why don't we cut the numbers of police and firefighters that protect us as well??? Oh, because that DIRECTLY affects US??? So does this, so does this in ways you might not even understand now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 02:59 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,770 times
The US should reduce its military spending its ridiculously high.

The fact of the matter is that the US has enough nukes to destroy any country on the planet. No country is going to attack US soil doing so would result in annihilation.

So why do we need to spend so much money on the military? We don't. We are just bulling other nations at this point. The US needs to go back to its previous policy.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:01 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,769 times
Cut military spending and then bring back the draft, more brilliant ideas from BaCrock Osama.

I'm amazed how anyone could defend ideas such as these in 2008.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:21 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
The hell with the draft. Just cut military spending, get the hell out of the Middle East, and stop this insane idea that we have to crush Israel's enemies for them. Get our troops home to defend the borders and the coasts, which is the point of having armed services.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:09 AM

451 posts, read 1,228,413 times
The military needs to be strong, but at the same time the buget has to come down. There is too much spending on BS. You have a lot of programs and projects we dont need. keep what we need get rid of the crap.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:26 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
In a meeting with the editorial board of The Standard-Times, Rep. Frank, D-Mass., also called for a 25 percent cut in military spending, saying the Pentagon has to start choosing from its many weapons programs, and that upper-income taxpayers are going to see an increase in what they are asked to pay.

No wonder Iran and other enemys of the US are so anxious to see Obama and team running the White House. This kind of thinking took years to repair, and if you don't see the potential for a draft (that's right, YOU and YOUR children) under Obama during time of need because the military will be cut to the core...think again.

Why don't we cut the numbers of police and firefighters that protect us as well??? Oh, because that DIRECTLY affects US??? So does this, so does this in ways you might not even understand now.
What has what Frank said got to do with Obama?

The military DOES need budget trimming, historically the over spending has been ridiculous.

Obama does not want the draft.

If the war in Iraq continues as McCain wants it to, WHO do YOU think will fight it?

Police and fire fighters were cut on BUSH'S watch.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:35 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,456,942 times
Do you know where that "budget trimming" will be? ON THE MILITARY FAMILIES! You folks keep crying to bring the soldiers home, then you'll be crying because you have no home left due to the crap that will be coming here.
Obama wants to go straight into Afghanistan and you think the war will end....sheesh, come on people. The soldiers will not come home, and that 16 month time frame is BS!
He said it himself at the last debate: Leave Iraq and go to Afghanistan with those troops. Just up and leave...yea, great strategy for someone who wants to be Commander in Chief of our great military.
Obama doesn't want the draft, because he will have the college students getting that 4k tax credit and locked into community service, which includes the military. Why draft, when you suckered thousands of 20 year olds into thinking they can afford to go to school?

Old 10-26-2008, 06:41 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times
Not to mention he wants to get our troops involved in Darfur...where the "Hollywood" crowd thinks we should be supporting that issue.

You are right Erma, those that DON'T understand will once the draft has to be reinstated because the military has been cut...

And what Barney "got us into this mess" Frank and the rest of the Dem Congress WANT they will GET with BO in charge.

The ONLY thing that I will be grateful for is BO does in fact win this election is that some idiots who have NO idea what they will be called to do and pay for are about to find out.

I am afraid that Erma is right...we will leave the ability to keep them on their turf to fight only to encourage them to bring their battles to OUR country to defend.

How sad, everyone wants the benefits of freedoms...but so few are willing to protect and defend that cause...or pay for it if they themselves don't want to serve.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:04 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
For the record the present administration is projecting a 16% cut in defense spending. ...based on the financial records of the defense department. 2007 spending 602B, 2008 566 and 2009 at 516B.

There is so much waste in the military you could eliminate just that and probably save 100b. The massive expense of the war would eliminate 10B / month wow that's over 100b. There is no reason we can not hav a strong military and spend closer to 350-400b.
If history is something to pay attention to the USSR fell under the weight of the military budget. Based on our economy I'm not so sure we can afford it any more than they. Are you strong if your economy fails?
If you are going to start a thread in order to slam the dems maybe you would benefit from at least looking at the military budget. An emotional call to arms based on no facts is worthless and I'd bet few even looked up the facts. Seems the repubs in here like to bash based on emotions, not facts.

http://www.defenselink.mil/comptroll...bles_whole.pdf

I don't think either candidate has reasonable answers hence my look to the third party candidates.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:22 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
In .

Protect us? we are told we need to get tough on crime and hire more police... the only purpose those police have is to issue tickets and raise the communities revenue.... hence it is always reflected in the budgets of a community. I don't know about you but it is the unsolved murder, or burglary that makes me feel less safe. We don't increase police forces where we can solve the actual crimes as there is no money made for the city if a murder is solved. We need police to be working on crimes and not there to ticket the people for the crimes the police themselves commit. I am ready for reduced police on the streets and get them working on actual crimes.

As to the military...
Does anyone really believe we are safer in Iraq because we have caused the death of 1.4 Million iraqies? Do you think we have won the hearts and souls of the country? Could it be that because of our actions more are plotting damage to us? You can only know what the motivation was after the fact but I doubt killing so many civilians is endearing us to the middle east. How would you feel if you were the recipient of these policies? It is easy to sit in a safe country and throw stones at the third world cultures but we can find ourself in another war that we won't win the people over in. We seem to let our arrogance lead and for bad reasons, that will never lead to good results. I don''t care if you throw 100b to defense or 1T you need to understand the iimpact before you create issues that destabilize regions.
If I had to bet McLame will be the one to bring back the draft. he is the one that thinks highly of it. Regardless both candidates have too similar ideas and lack of understanding, hence my support of the third party.... The past 8 years is proof repubs didn't think through thier choices,...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections