Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:57 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,092,535 times

Advertisements

Well, I can't call it wealth since my husband is unemployed and we're really struggling to make ends meet. But I wanted to help out Obama since he is too busy running for POTUS to aid his own family. So I got in touch with the London Times to find out where I can send some money to Obama's aunt, in South Boston. And I also sent a small check to Obama's brother in Kenya. I doubt he'll see it since it's not like he has mail delivery right to his shack, or a bank account. I had to send a moneygram, which cost me even more $$$ to obtain. But it's about twice what he makes in a year and if it doesn't fall into the hands of the corrupt government there, hopefully he can use the money.

So, after our usual charitable donations, which were tough to make this year because of our decreased income, I feel good about helping an old lady and a poor man. I like spreading my wealth around. As long as I can make the decision for myself where it goes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 08:00 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,729,311 times
Bless your heart! This is a political forum, you can probably find a philanthropic forum somewhere else.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:03 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,321,855 times
Completely agree.

Along the same lines, Senator Biden is a hypocrite.

He says it is patriotic to pay more taxes and Senator Obama says we need to spread the wealth. Biden's charitable giving (according to his released tax returns) hovers around 0.13% of gross, lowest being .09%. He is at the very bottom of national averages.
What a caring charitable man he is...

I cannot help but think that people would be more charitable if not crushed under oppressive taxation.

True leaders lead by example, not words.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:19 AM

472 posts, read 872,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Well, I can't call it wealth since my husband is unemployed and we're really struggling to make ends meet. But I wanted to help out Obama since he is too busy running for POTUS to aid his own family. So I got in touch with the London Times to find out where I can send some money to Obama's aunt, in South Boston. And I also sent a small check to Obama's brother in Kenya. I doubt he'll see it since it's not like he has mail delivery right to his shack, or a bank account. I had to send a moneygram, which cost me even more $$$ to obtain. But it's about twice what he makes in a year and if it doesn't fall into the hands of the corrupt government there, hopefully he can use the money.

So, after our usual charitable donations, which were tough to make this year because of our decreased income, I feel good about helping an old lady and a poor man. I like spreading my wealth around. As long as I can make the decision for myself where it goes!

Well... that's very honorable since you are struggling to make ends meet. Although I have to point out there might be someone in your own community who may need the money more than Obama's aunt or brother in Kenya I guess, regardless of the motive your donation was given... and whereever your donation may land., they will appreciate it, I am sure of that.

One word of warning though... since your in such a giving mood, purely for political spite, despite your own financial misfortune, I'd advise against sending any money to needy bankers in Nigeria, no matter how much of a return they promise for your generosity. I give this advice to you because anyone who would risk their own family finances to send money to complete strangers to prove a political point... well, you might need some sensible advisement on who and where to send your donations. Or perhaps you could make a donation to yourself. Afterall, you know exactly where the money will go.

Last edited by ocnymonty; 10-30-2008 at 08:30 AM..

Old 10-30-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnymonty View Post
Well... that's very honorable since you are struggling to make ends meet. Although I have to point out there might be someone in your own community who may need the money more than Obama's aunt or brother in Kenya I guess, regardless of the spite your donation was given... if it ever ends up in the hands of the person who needs it, they will appreciate it.

One word of warning though... since your in such a giving mood, purely for political spite, despite your own financial misfortune, I'd advise against sending any money to needy bankers in Nigeria, no matter how much of a return they promise for your generosity. I give this advice to you because anyone who would risk their own family finances to send money to complete strangers to prove a political point... well, you might need some sensible advisement on who and where to send your donations. Or perhaps you could make a donation to yourself. Afterall, you know exactly where the money will go.
I'm fully aware of the corrupt situation in third world countries which is why my contribution of $20, should it fall into the wrong hands, will hopefully not go very far. It would certainly go farther if it did go to Obama's brother, who lives on $1/day. I do contribute to Bono's ONE program as it's well run and the money stays out of the hands of corrupt government. I think he's a far more effective philanthropist than the average US politician. He contributes his money AND his time. He truly believes in spreading his wealth around. Too bad he's not able to run for President.

As far as Obama's Aunt in Southie; I'm fairly sure the organization to which I gave, will get the money to her since I've given to that charity before. I just included a note on my donation about Obama's aunt and my wish that my small donation go directly to her.

And don't worry. Our usual list of charitable organizations will receive their usual donations this year. If we had to cut out some Christmas presents or dinners out because of our stressed finances, then that is what we did, in order to contribute to those causes near and dear to our hearts. For those that want a list, here are a few: American Cancer Society. MADD, A local shelter for abused women. The local animal shelter. A group that works for the prevention of domestic violence. The local food cupboard. Our local schools. Our church.

I think that covers it. And where we can't give as much money, we give time. We volunteer at the animal shelter, in the schools and for the church. My kids work Christmas in the City every year. My youngest recently chose to forgo birthday presents in lieu of donations to the animal shelter. I foster parent homeless animals when the shelter is full.

Spreading the wealth is not just money. These people/organizations need your time too.

Ok, this is a political thread, not a philanthranpic (sp!) thread as someone said. My point is that many people WANT to give of their time and their hard earned money. What will happen to those organizations I listed above if Obama manages to reach his hand into my pocket to take more money for the welfare mother across town? I will have to give less

Old 10-30-2008, 08:44 AM

307 posts, read 715,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
What will happen to those organizations I listed above if Obama manages to reach his hand into my pocket to take more money for the welfare mother across town? I will have to give less
If you make over 250k then the tax cuts that Bush imposed for this demographic will not be renewed but that will still be a very small amount of money for you so I am sure the organizations you support will not suffer too much because of you having less. If you make less than 200k then you will recieve a tax cut so you will have more money to spread around as you like. If you make between 200k and 250k then your taxes will stay the same. So I am confused what are you worried about?

Old 10-30-2008, 08:50 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,037,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLK706 View Post
If you make over 250k then the tax cuts that Bush imposed for this demographic will not be renewed but that will still be a very small amount of money for you so I am sure the organizations you support will not suffer too much because of you having less. If you make less than 200k then you will recieve a tax cut so you will have more money to spread around as you like. If you make between 200k and 250k then your taxes will stay the same. So I am confused what are you worried about?
Sorry, according to Biden it's now down to $150k... Falling as fast as housing prices!!!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLK706 View Post
I'm predicting, based on past history (Clinton, when elected President and Obama's votes on similar), that this $250K number is fluid and once in office, it will come down. And on top of that, we'll see an increase in use taxes, fees, etc to help fund this social experiement that Obama wants to run.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:59 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,392,712 times
Media Matters - Conservative echo chamber pushes story about Obama's brother, despite brother's reported refutation

Summary: Numerous conservative media figures have promoted a story in the Italian edition of Vanity Fair that reportedly quoted Sen. Barack Obama's half brother George Obama as saying that he lives "on less than a dollar a month," but have disregarded reports that quoted George Obama saying, "They say I live on a dollar a month, but this is all lies by people who don't want my brother to win," and, "The magazines, they exaggerated everything."

Old 10-30-2008, 08:59 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,444,171 times
Charity starts at home. Perhaps Obama doesn't think this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections