Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 12:58 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,445,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
When I watch left media, read publications, movie stars hating on the right, MTV and so on.........(You all get the idea) I cringe with anger at their spewing of baseless leftist propaganda. However, I recognize their 1st amendment rights and have always supported this right no matter how much I disagree.

Today on CNN, their guest said Obama will absolutely shut down right wing radio in American. How in God's name can he F-ing do this in the United states of America? The guest also said the supreme court would likely throw out such an act when challenged, but that would take 2-years. Obama does not care, he wants the first 2-years of his presidency to go unchecked, unchallenged, without right-wing criticism.

This is the way of numerous communist countries people. Doesn't that scare you in the least bit? Obama supporters, the way I see it, there is no excuse you can really give. I know you will come on here stating how much you hate right-wing radio and so on, but come on, be realistic. This is just not right!

The guest on CNN (missed his name) said it is well know within the Obama camp, this will be one of his very first agendas. Shut them down and shut them up, is basically what he said.

Your post had nothing to say about the Fairness Doctrine. Do you understand what the point of it WAS? Do you think that there are no responsibilities for owners of an FCC broadcast license, which is granted by the government as not as a right, to present a FAIR cross-section of points of view on topics of the PUBLIC INTEREST? The airwaves are a PUBLIC RESOURCE.

The problem is that conservatives have a historically anachronistic definition of the "public interest." They believe that private interests should dominate public discourse to the extent that it relates to a broadcast license. However, this approach has the result that he/she who has the most MONEY to invest in broadcasting will by definition DOMINATE the "public" discourse. That is the nub of the difference of opinions on this matter, IMO.

Fairness Doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 01:01 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,613,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The Fairness Doctrine will not shut anybody up. It will require broadcasters that use public airwaves to allow different viewpoints to be heard. It will encourage meanningful debate as opposed to the right wing AM radio nazis that rant all day now. It is badly needed.
1. We don't need government bureaucrats dictating what is the right and wrong viewpoint.
2. The free market doesn't want liberal talk shows.
3. People in general don't want to listen to liberal talk shows. If they do there are a few options. Npr for instance.
4. There already is meaningful debate going on.
5. Radio Stations are in the business of making a profit. Liberal talk shows don't make a profit.

Government regulating viewpoints is pure old fashioned communism. I am not living in a communist nation. I will either go or fight tooth and nail.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:05 PM

38,613 posts, read 26,267,081 times
I don't doubt for a minute that he would do it based on his organization's action in the past like flooding call-in lines for conservative shows. I'm certain he fears accountability more than anything. And if he loses the next election in a close race, don't be surprised if he is the first president to attempt to hold power by force.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:23 PM

945 posts, read 1,968,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
All the Fairness Doctrine would do, as it did in the past, is demand that "Fair and Balanced" be more than a fairytale catch phrase.

Then why will it only be applied to talk radio which is mostly conservative and not to MSNBC television that has 3 consecutive liberal shows on at night? Can't you see the agenda? It is against the constitutional rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections