Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:20 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times

Advertisements

President Obama has a good chance to come out of the gate swinging right off the start. Here are 4 good things he can do right away:

1. End the military ban on gays. Sign the Executive Order the day you are sworn in and let it be known that NO type of discrimination will be tolerated under the new administration.

2. Comprehensive immigration reform. Pass it. Secure the borders and raise the stakes for employers caught hiring illegals in the future but give amnesty to those already here without police records.

3. SCHIP. Pass the increase Bush vetoed and start us down the road to a National Health program by insuring all children first.

4. The Employee Free Choice Act. Pass it. It is badly needed so that the country can start rebuilding the union movement that will build back the middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 08:21 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,882,143 times
Stand by for a 2 year filibuster

Old 11-07-2008, 08:22 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,442,495 times
I do not agree with the last part of number 2.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:29 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,433,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
President Obama has a good chance to come out of the gate swinging right off the start. Here are 4 good things he can do right away:

1. End the military ban on gays. Sign the Executive Order the day you are sworn in and let it be known that NO type of discrimination will be tolerated under the new administration.

2. Comprehensive immigration reform. Pass it. Secure the borders and raise the stakes for employers caught hiring illegals in the future but give amnesty to those already here without police records.

3. SCHIP. Pass the increase Bush vetoed and start us down the road to a National Health program by insuring all children first.

4. The Employee Free Choice Act. Pass it. It is badly needed so that the country can start rebuilding the union movement that will build back the middle class.

It may not be popular among Democrats but I, like the previous poster, don't agree with the last half of number two either. I'm not sure quite what do with them but why reward someone for breaking the law?

Old 11-07-2008, 08:30 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
3 and 4 are no good.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:31 AM

877 posts, read 2,077,764 times
Quote:
The Employee Free Choice Act has nothing to do with free choice, but allows Unions to coerce and compel employees to join a union.

How the idea of "closed shops" and eliminating secret ballots can good for this country, I will never understand.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:32 AM

594 posts, read 1,044,470 times
Quote:
No way no how. Socialized medicine DOES NOT WORK.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:32 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,806,914 times
Quote:

Ah, maybe the government should just seize all businesses, guns, and private property while they are at it.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:33 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
It may not be popular among Democrats but I, like the previous poster, don't agree with the last half of number two either. I'm not sure quite what do with them but why reward someone for breaking the law?
Agreed - they need to do something as payment for the illegal action they took - maybe community service - maybe paying a fine... not sure - but just granting them amnesty is a smack in the face to all who went thru the process legally, and diminishes overall respect for the law.

I would add another quick win - change the 401K rules so that seniors can defer withdrawals for at least a few years - so they don't have to cash-out when the market is in the dumps...

And NO - I'm not a senior...

Old 11-07-2008, 08:35 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Ah, maybe the government should just seize all businesses, guns, and private property while they are at it.
Your response is logically unrelated to anything that's been posted above... You seem like one of those "I hate Obama - and I'm going to rant every day about it' types...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections