Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:16 AM

73 posts, read 158,402 times

Advertisements

Hehe, you wondering how NC elected Perdue, I wonder how you elected Helms all those times. Then to replace Helms (he retired), you elected an absentee senator <Dole>. I think that only works for absentee ballots not senators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 09:34 AM

574 posts, read 1,209,274 times
No, I've never voted straight party. I doubt anyone interested enough in arguing politics on this board is just going to vote straight party! I didn't vote for Obama because he was Democrat and my final ballot was an even mix of Dem, Rep and Lib. Most of my votes were FOR the person I voted for, but I have to admit I voted AGAINST Dole. She needed to just friggin' go!

Now, I'd be interested in the stats of the same day registered voters, were they overwhelmingly voting straight party?

Old 11-14-2008, 09:50 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Same day registration and voting opens the door to a lot of easily done fraud.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Do the people who vote at "same day" registration have to vote with provisional ballots? I was wondering this when my daughter was a college student in Minnesota. She always voted absentee here in CO, but the year Paul Wellstone was killed shortly before the election, the Dems were really pushing college students to vote there, in MN. Theoretically, she could have registered and voted on election day. Anyone know how they deal with that?

Old 11-14-2008, 11:56 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
I never voted for any of those people. bev purdue is a pathetic choice considering we had a good 3rd party choice. it doesn't surprise me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvii View Post
Hehe, you wondering how NC elected Perdue, I wonder how you elected Helms all those times. Then to replace Helms (he retired), you elected an absentee senator <Dole>. I think that only works for absentee ballots not senators.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:01 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Links, facts, or just opinion? Criminals (yes,I mean ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS) can easily obtain counterfeit papers, but they do so to get a job, not to vote.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:07 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpelp View Post
Although I've never taken the time to verify it, I've heard multiple times that Washington was quoted saying the formation of political parties will destroy the country. Whether it's a true quote or not, it's so true.
Here it is:

Quote:
However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, Farewell Address, Sep. 17, 1796
Source

Old 11-14-2008, 02:36 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Links, facts, or just opinion? Criminals (yes,I mean ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS) can easily obtain counterfeit papers, but they do so to get a job, not to vote.
Hmm, let's see: you register to vote and vote on the same day, election day. There's little to no time to verify the validity of the registration. They could conceivably bus in people to vote fraudulently easily because there's no way to stop it, no time to check the registrations. Even with non-same day registrations there were college students and campaign workers registered and voting in more than one state. It doesn't take a genius to see this. I do know, however, that if it had gone the other way, costing your candidate the election, you'd be whining about it.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Well, I asked, a few hours ago, if those voters vote with "provisional ballots". No one answered. It IS possible to vote in two places with same day registration. I just don't know if the system is set up to catch that.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:41 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Hmm, let's see: you register to vote and vote on the same day, election day. There's little to no time to verify the validity of the registration. They could conceivably bus in people to vote fraudulently easily because there's no way to stop it, no time to check the registrations. Even with non-same day registrations there were college students and campaign workers registered and voting in more than one state. It doesn't take a genius to see this. I do know, however, that if it had gone the other way, costing your candidate the election, you'd be whining about it.
Ever hear of provisional ballots? Doesn't sound like it.

The more citizens that vote, the better for the country. We should hang our head in shame at the pathetic turn out in previous elections, and even this one is nothing to crow about as far as turnout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections