Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:29 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times

Advertisements

i just want them to go away

they are ruining Huffingtonpost (or perhaps past tense . . ruined)

they are all over the TV like on Oprah and they just talk about their lives

i dont know why they think their opinion is so much greater

and they usually dont say anything thought provoking, they just mouth of platitudes

sometimes i cringe when Celebrities feel the need to talk about Obama

i feel like becoming a Conservative Obama supporter

thats my rant for today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 05:34 PM

998 posts, read 1,514,038 times
The only power their opinions carry is that which we give to them.

Some of them, on both sides of the aisle, are morons. A few of them actually have something intelligent to say.

So, while I take them all with a grain of salt, like many other things in life, I don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:55 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
i just want them to go away

they are ruining Huffingtonpost (or perhaps past tense . . ruined)

they are all over the TV like on Oprah and they just talk about their lives

i dont know why they think their opinion is so much greater

and they usually dont say anything thought provoking, they just mouth of platitudes

sometimes i cringe when Celebrities feel the need to talk about Obama

i feel like becoming a Conservative Obama supporter

thats my rant for today
Well, I have to agree with you there. Actors are just that....actors - people who pretend to be someone else. I acted in theater in high school and college...still do bit parts in local plays, but that didn't/doesn't entitle me to making myself out to be an authority on politics or anything else. I think that the American public has put these people on such a pedestal that they actually believe that we listen to and believe anything they have to say. Truth is, most of them have such screwed up lives that I have absolutely no respect for them or their political views.

There, that's my take on it.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:16 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Well, I have to agree with you there. Actors are just that....actors - people who pretend to be someone else. I acted in theater in high school and college...still do bit parts in local plays, but that didn't/doesn't entitle me to making myself out to be an authority on politics or anything else. I think that the American public has put these people on such a pedestal that they actually believe that we listen to and believe anything they have to say. Truth is, most of them have such screwed up lives that I have absolutely no respect for them or their political views.

There, that's my take on it.
Yup,same here. I think it's kinda pathetic how in America we are so obsessed w/ what celebrities are doing/saying ( well some of us). Where is the hero-worship of those who REALLY do things to make their mark in this world & to make it a better place,such as scientists & etc? I think too much emphasis is placed on beauty over brains in our society still,for both sexes.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:24 PM

998 posts, read 1,514,038 times
The thing is, I see more people getting upset that celebs state an opinion - at all, than those who grab onto the opinion and actually vote or try to convince others to vote based upon the opinion. I'm in my mid 40s, and have never met someone who voted based upon what an actor thinks.

Hand-wringing about what they say only serves to lend a measure of importance to their opinions.

Lastly, nullifying, completely, what an entire sector of America thinks because of their profession is rather close minded. What other professions are we going to subject to that sort of absolutism? Remember - there are a LOT more non-famous actors than famous ones.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:30 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
isn't it sad that democrats packaged obama into a celebrity, and the republicans packaged palin as a celebrity? people in this country are moronic.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:04 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Ignore them?

I miss all that stuff since we don't watch TV, just rely on NPR and print media for news, which is easier to sort through and ignore the celeb stuff.

That said, celebrities giving their opinion doesn't bother me at all. Just because they're famous doesn't mean they're not knowledgeable about the issues and making an informed decision. I don't base my opinion on their's, however, they have a right to voice it like the rest of us.

And remember, we elected an actor president not that long ago....

Old 11-13-2008, 10:05 PM

that same state elected the governator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Ignore them?

I miss all that stuff since we don't watch TV, just rely on NPR and print media for news, which is easier to sort through and ignore the celeb stuff.

That said, celebrities giving their opinion doesn't bother me at all. Just because they're famous doesn't mean they're not knowledgeable about the issues and making an informed decision. I don't base my opinion on their's, however, they have a right to voice it like the rest of us.

And remember, we elected an actor president not that long ago....

Old 11-13-2008, 10:06 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
that same state elected the governator.
Ah, how could I forget?!

Old 11-13-2008, 10:11 PM

you also have minnesota perhaps electing stuart smalley for senator. I think that some actor is considering running for office in arizona. sonny bono is another one. what the hell is wrong with people? I would rather have a governor with a background in economics or something. but why would the american people elect someone that made sense. california is safe if they are invaded by predators though, so at least they have that going for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Ah, how could I forget?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections