Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 05:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,512 times

Advertisements

Let me introduce myself, I am from another country visiting here for a training. I have visited this country many times in the past 8 years.[/font]
I come from a country where there are a lot of people who are not educated. Politicians (or their family members) own TV stations and during election time I hear a lot of praise for their candidate and constantly talking bad about the opponents. Unfortunately illiterate and poor people in my country believe that what they see on TV is true.
I thought it must be different in countries like USA which I think has a vast educated population, but lately I watched some shows in Fox news and MSNBC and I couldn’t believe what I saw. Particularly Hanity and Bill's show in Fox -- Keith Olberman/Rachel Maddow and to some extent Chris Mathews show in MSNBC.
Even more shocking news I heard from my friend in people do believe what these anchors (an their guests) say are true.[/font]
If you are a fan of one of these shows, could you please help me understanding [/font]
1) Do you really believe that they are telling you the truth?[/font]
2) Have you done any fact checking to see if they are really facts[/font]

Last edited by Outsider101; 10-30-2008 at 05:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 05:04 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,301 times
1. No
2. Yes

Since everyone puts their own spin on things, I always fact check. I actually watch, listen to, and read all sides and use my own understanding to make my choices. Most of those shows are for entertainment purposes, not legitimate research.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:06 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
[font]What a strange post[/font]

Old 10-30-2008, 05:17 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,723,773 times
Default Believing these people

Hannity looks into the camera and says, "This came directly from Obama's lips..." as if to be speaking intimately and absolutely truthfully with all of the viewers. I'm not buying it. Olberman needs a sedative. O'Reilly too.

I sometimes think that the Republicans want us to see them all as salt-of-the-earth real people. The problem is that so many of those supposed middle Americans are absolute freaking redneck hicks. God. Country. Apple pie. Smith and Wesson and family. Yes my foreign friend. The country as a whole can seem a bit backwards. The ugly Americans, if you will. On the other hand, you have the smugness of the intellectual elite or the Hollywood liberals. I, being a fiscal conservative but more socially liberal, am caught in the middle. I don't feel like either candidate is really speaking to me.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:29 PM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Oreilly was commenting on his radio show how Fox news was equally critical of both mcCain and Obama whereas MSNBC was critical of McCain by a 2 to 1 margin. I suppose the media group that did the fact checking was legit.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:42 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
These people are just newscasters. What is really bad is when the person running is having the same type false information in their adds. I am talking about both parties.

As for what these stations say, I really don't care. A look at the policies of both candidates is plenty to help one form an opinion. One who does not know that human life is to be protected is not a person who should be making executive decisions for this country. Freedom is much more important than a redistribution of wealth.

As for bias, the most biased station I have seen is the one saying they are not biased. CNN is like a 24/7 campaign for Obama. And they wonder why they are losing viewers. There is only so much "puke" one can stand to listen to.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 5,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Oreilly was commenting on his radio show how Fox news was equally critical of both mcCain and Obama whereas MSNBC was critical of McCain by a 2 to 1 margin. I suppose the media group that did the fact checking was legit.
I have not watched about 15 Oreilly shows in the past 2 months, I don't think I would agree with you. But thanks for responding.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:39 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,763,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
[font]What a strange post[/font]
[font]hahahah[/font]

Old 10-31-2008, 08:42 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,863,589 times
I don't watch Fox, I watch MSNBC. I had family here a few weeks ago from another country and they were amazed at our newscast. They didn't understand the format at all, and they mentioned how they are all just yelling at the camera. But they are what they are, pundits and analysts. I enjoy their chatter, and agree with some of it, but it sometimes gets to be too much.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:46 AM

553 posts, read 837,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider101 View Post
Let me introduce myself, I am from another country visiting here for a training. I have visited this country many times in the past 8 years.[/font]
I come from a country where there are a lot of people who are not educated. Politicians (or their family members) own TV stations and during election time I hear a lot of praise for their candidate and constantly talking bad about the opponents. Unfortunately illiterate and poor people in my country believe that what they see on TV is true.
I thought it must be different in countries like USA which I think has a vast educated population, but lately I watched some shows in Fox news and MSNBC and I couldn’t believe what I saw. Particularly Hanity and Bill's show in Fox -- Keith Olberman/Rachel Maddow and to some extent Chris Mathews show in MSNBC.
Even more shocking news I heard from my friend in people do believe what these anchors (an their guests) say are true.[/font]
If you are a fan of one of these shows, could you please help me understanding [/font]
1) Do you really believe that they are telling you the truth?[/font]
2) Have you done any fact checking to see if they are really facts[/font]

Hannity & O'reilly often state that they are COMMENTATORS.. Not Journalists. They present their opinions on news topics.

On MSNBC I see similar COMMENTATORS like Olbermann and Maddow presenting their opinions on news topics as fact and news itself.

I don't take anything anyone in the media says for fact. I fact check everything, unfortunatly it appears many people do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections