Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,639,097 times

Advertisements

Never mind the CTO spot, if Gates wants to have a social impact, this would be a good spot from which to do it.

His foundation is heavily investing in alternative secondary school approaches. He clearly has a passion for the issues.

And he's a college drop out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:16 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,941,346 times
He'd be great in this role (though they'd probably downplay the college drop out perspective ) I hear Caroline Kennedy's got this post wrapped up. But, until an announcement is made that might just be a rumor.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:18 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,097 times
What would Caroline Kennedy bring to the position (besides her maiden name)?

Old 11-17-2008, 10:21 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,339 times
No thanks to Bill Gates, I think he is fantastic, but would be out of his league in this appointment. I would like the Secretary of Education to have an advanced degree (Ed.D or PhD) in Education. And how would Caroline Kennedy be qualified?
In Illinois, there is talk that he is considering Chicago Public Schools CEO, Arne Duncan. The Chicago schools are a mess, so I don't think would be the greatest choice, either.
This will be a tough appointment to make given the current condition of eduction in America.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:38 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,439,432 times
Bill Cosby should be Secretary of Education.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Bill Cosby should be Secretary of Education.
LOL, you know that's not a bad idea. I think he'd do a fantastic job with this post.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:44 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,487 times
Rush Limbaugh for FCC Chairman

Old 11-17-2008, 10:45 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,439,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, you know that's not a bad idea. I think he'd do a fantastic job with this post.
I think so, too. He certainly has the credentials.

Last edited by PG77; 11-17-2008 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: deleted links

Old 11-17-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
rush limbaugh for fcc chairman
lol!!!!!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 11:09 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,639,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
No thanks to Bill Gates, I think he is fantastic, but would be out of his league in this appointment. I would like the Secretary of Education to have an advanced degree (Ed.D or PhD) in Education. And how would Caroline Kennedy be qualified?
I used to feel this way, too.

But if you think about the comments that many of us have been making about the quality of our schools, perhaps somebody thoroughly grounded in the current system is exactly NOT what we need?

We've had School and State Superintendents, we've had career education policy folks. We've had two governors and at least 4 lawyers. Two of our Secretaries were former school teachers, and a couple taught at the collegiate level.

But we have not tried somebody with the drive and sense of a Bill Gates.

Concerning Kennedy, there is nothing in her background that would, to me, make her a particularly apt appointee - but I'll note that she seems no less suited to the position than at least a couple of the prior office holders!

Quote:
In Illinois, there is talk that he is considering Chicago Public Schools CEO, Arne Duncan. The Chicago schools are a mess, so I don't think would be the greatest choice, either.
This is the sort of thing I'm talking about above. Rod Paige came to the position from a large school system, as well, though at the time he was getting raves for his performance. It turned out that his publicity exceeded his performance - both before and during his term.

Terrel Bell wasn't bad... but did not have the power to stand up to Reagan's complete mischaracterization of A Nation at Risk. (Not many would have, in all fairness.) Had ANaR been heeded, things might be very different now.

Quote:
This will be a tough appointment to make given the current condition of eduction in America.
No argument.

I want somebody adaptable, open to ideas from other places, and with a broader vision than usually is called for in a single school system.

And I want somebody strong enough to fight, publicly, for what s/he believes in. Spelling has been mostly invisible. I couldn't even remember Riley's name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections