Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 05:22 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't think you have any clue whatsoever how progressive the social security system already is. I think it would be a great idea to lift the maximum taxable wage base -- that is, if you want to trigger a tax revolt and watch the affluent shelter as much of their income as they can, defer it, and shift it away from W2 income and toward capital gains income.
Yeah, yeah, yeah!!!! Another person trying to scare us into thinking that bad things will happen if the rich pay more taxes....

What a load of horse manure!!!

The rich were taxed more during the Clinton years, and the economy took off like a jack rabbit, 22 million jobs were created, and real incomes increased across the board...

All this crap about the rich sheltering and deferring all their income is a load of fertilizer... some of them still draw a salary - that will still be taxed by Social Security..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 05:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah!!!! Another person trying to scare us into thinking that bad things will happen if the rich pay more taxes....

The rich were taxed more during the Clinton years, and the economy took off like a jack rabbit, 22 million jobs were created, and real incomes increased across the board...

All this crap about the rich sheltering and deferring all their income is a load of fertilizer... some of them still draw a salary - that will still be taxed by Social Security..
A load of fertilizer? Yeah, I'd like you to sit in on 20 minutes of my Executive Compensation class and tell me that. You'd be amazed at the hoops the affluent will jump through to minimize their tax burden. I have a textbook that's about 1,300 pages long explaining all the ins and outs of the tax consequences of high-end compensation. Two pages of it would probably make your head spin.

Since you clearly know nothing about fiscal policy and the incentives it creates, I don't see any point in carrying on with you.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
A load of fertilizer? Yeah, I'd like you to sit in on 20 minutes of my Executive Compensation class and tell me that. You'd be amazed at the hoops the affluent will jump through to minimize their tax burden. Since you clearly know nothing about fiscal policy and the incentives it creates, I don't see any point in carrying on with you.
Oh, golly gee - you are attending an Executive Compensation class - my - I'm so impressed...

I went to an Ivy League school and have a masters in Business Administration - so don't try to impress me with your credentials - because I'm not....

Old 11-21-2008, 05:30 PM

If you have an MBA and you still believe that HCEs don't try to minimize their tax burden, you should demand a tuition refund.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:34 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
I'm glad to inform you that means-testing will probably be implemented, and the filthy rich - who clearly don't need social security - will and should be cut out. That should definitely happen during Obama's administration...
Oh really? What gives you the right to take from others to misappropriate it to your wishes.

If you are so worried about this start paying 15% self employment tax(SS, Medicare, etc.). Give your paycheck up. Stop trying to steal mine.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:42 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:

I don't care what or who was created when. I don't believe it's the right of the government to act as arbitrary redistributors of people's incomes.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
If you have an MBA and you still believe that HCEs don't try to minimize their tax burden, you should demand a tuition refund.
Gee - I think I smell a self-proclaimed intellectual who's been educated beyond their intelligence...

Old 11-21-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Gee - I think I smell a self-proclaimed intellectual who's been educated beyond their intelligence...
That's because you forgot to put on your deodorant this morning.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:52 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
I am still waiting for a logical explanation of why we should penalize long term thinkers and planners and reward those who don't.
I mean seriously we have an entire life time to plan to prepare. Some get lucky and are born with a silver spoon. A spoon delivered by someone who figured out how to succeed.
Some built their own wealth by working 80 plus hour work weeks 7 days a week and sacrificing all in preperation for retirment.
Some like myself even when I was in the military put as little as 5 bucks a check into a retirement account. Now I make about 70g a year and put a lot more in. Always thinking about and planing for old age.
Then you have some who bank entirely on social security. No effort what so ever to prepare on their own. Why should they be rewarded? Why punish those who actually focused and prepared for the day they retire?
It just makes no sense to me. I am not super wealthy and never will be but I will have a good nest egg.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:45 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Oh, golly gee - you are attending an Executive Compensation class - my - I'm so impressed...

I went to an Ivy League school and have a masters in Business Administration - so don't try to impress me with your credentials - because I'm not....
So, then explain to me how Social Security isn't a sufficiently progressive program today (your posting #3).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections