Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 05:14 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
O. K. I'll bite. Why won't he fire her? Did I not hear him say that if something goes wrong the head of the position responsible goes? I know she is very capable, but nobody is perfect. I still think she would be better off in the senate, but that is her choice.
No, SOS is a very big jump for her. In spite of her performance in the Democratic Primaries, the fact remains the she is still a JUNIOR Senator - and just one out of 100 Senators overall. As SOS she'll be in a high-profile, substantially powerful position. Though Obama will be her boss and she'll have to take direction from him, Obama has made is clear (many many times) that he does not want "Yes Men" around him, but rather others who will offer differing opinion and argue for various options for his consideration (a pretty smart move on his part and one that shows considerable wisdom).

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 05:15 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
In any case, it seems pretty obvious that this is a political bone being tossed to add to Hillary's dossier as though Obama actually owes her anything. Maybe he does, but it certainly appears to be little more than politics as usual.
It is actually politics as usual and not the "change" he promised everyone. That also is politics as usual.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Obama showing "class?" Oh, c'mon! This is a political move, pure and simple. He doesn't have a set big or sturdy enough to tangle with the Clintons so he's making sure Hillary will be out of the country quite often. But at least she can keep him from negotiating with despots and terrorist leaders. I hope!

Isn't it interesting, though, that for one who made opposing the war and its inception as the centerpiece of his campaign, Obama has now chosen two senators who supported the war as his VP and Sec. of State? Hmmm, what does that tell us?
Hillary did a great job in the Primaries and showed her willingness to be a team player by campaigning very actively and effectively for Obama, so he KNOWS she can set her own personal agenda aside and work for the team since she has already proven that fact.

As I mentioned in a previous post - he has said MANY TIMES that he wants people with differing opinions around him. It's really pretty simple and straightforward. Nothing sneaky or political about it. He's simply doing what he said he would do. I know that's a novel concept for you, but that's indeed what's happening.

Ken

Old 11-21-2008, 05:21 PM

289 posts, read 361,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
It is actually politics as usual and not the "change" he promised everyone. That also is politics as usual.
And I suppose you can see the future. For Christ sake why not wait until he is in office before crying that's not change. You have no idea what will happen. Give him a chance will ya.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Really?
Who's the last President to bring his major competition into his team?

Ken

Old 11-21-2008, 05:24 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsiderlookingin View Post
And I suppose you can see the future. For Christ sake why not wait until he is in office before crying that not change. You have no idea what will happen. Give him a chance will ya.
I am not crying, by any stretch. I said it was not the "change" he promised, and it isn't. I can't help that you don't like the truth. I also said it was politics as usual. That does not make me hate him or worry. It does prove, however, that he is nothing more than a politician and not the great messiah that so many in here think he is. I was also one of the first in here to tell everyone to give him a chance, and I stand by that. Stop your whining because someone posts something truthful about Obama and get over yourself.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:02 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
You know, the most obvious possibility is usually the correct one. Maybe he just thinks that she's capable person who is ALREADY well-known and well-respected around the world - and who could do a very good job in that position. It doesn't take a genius to understand what Obama is doing. He's stated several times how much he admires how Lincoln built a Team of Rivals into his famous Cabinet - and that's who he's emulating.

I think you are letting your suspicions get out of hand. I don't think there is anything particularly political about it. I think Obama just believes she'll do a good job for him. Obama is very much a pragmatist. That's one of the things I like most about him.

Ken

Well one thing the Obama administration thus far has in common with the out going administration is their tendency towards an inclusive nature.

Its pretty well understood that the Clinton's are the Democratic Party's ruling pair. They have an enormous amount of clout and influence, so to have Obama offer this particular position to Hillary gives the appearance of political pay off. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but the odor is there.

She very well may do a spectacular job, but I can't help but think of a Truman vs MacArthur relationship between these two. Hillary is as hawkish of a Democrat as ever existed, save Lieberman, and I can't help but wonder how much continuity there would be in such an arrangement.

I very well may be complete off base, it wouldn't be the first time, but after having lived through many years of Clinton politics, I don't see her as the type to be satisfied with third chair. I will also not discount the possibility that Obama will end up being far more centrist and even hawkish himself, as I have pointed out before.

On a side note, I was in a discussion the other day about Russia where someone mentioned that they have a structure of ruling elite, or oligarchy that despite who holds top chair, the real power resides elsewhere. My response to think is to think of just how long Bush's and Clinton's have resided in a very similar situation. I guess we have our own power elite, so when is Chelsea going to run again?

Old 11-21-2008, 06:06 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Obama showing "class?" Oh, c'mon! This is a political move, pure and simple. He doesn't have a set big or sturdy enough to tangle with the Clintons so he's making sure Hillary will be out of the country quite often. But at least she can keep him from negotiating with despots and terrorist leaders. I hope!

Isn't it interesting, though, that for one who made opposing the war and its inception as the centerpiece of his campaign, Obama has now chosen two senators who supported the war as his VP and Sec. of State? Hmmm, what does that tell us?

I think it tells us that some people can actually LEARN from their mistakes instead of stubbornly holding onto failed policies because their feeble egos cannot handle self criticism.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:08 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
All of you Clinton supporters who voted for McCain because you were suffering from the serious case of sour grapes must stop and pause at the class that Obama shows in bringing Hillary onboard his great team. She proved to be his inferior during the primary campaign, directing a campaign team that didn't know what the hell they were doing. This with her husband pulling in all of his political favors. She could not overcome the ambiance, substance, and inspirational character that defined Obama. Instead of kicking her to the curb because of her classless, unnecessary, and lying attacks on his character, he honors her this way, and makes her a key part of his team. Her political future was essentially in his hands. This is class, folks!

Recognize that because most certainly over the last 8 years, we have had anything but.

Great to have Obama at the helm!

He's keeping his friends close by.......and his enemies closer.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If I had been Clinton, I would have said, "Thanks, but no thanks." As senator there is not much he could do to her. He will now be her boss. I don't think I would like to have someone I ran against for president to be in a position to fire me.
Well, you are not Clinton. Perhaps she thinks this is the way she can serve the country best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections