Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:08 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times

Advertisements

From the Washington Post:

Sources with the transition and the Justice Department said that Richardson had played down the importance of the probe and did not reveal that his office and staff could be at risk. The seriousness of the matter became apparent after the FBI began its own background check on Dec. 2...But a source with the Obama transition said Richardson's disclosures to the team were incomplete...A Justice Department source also said Richardson neglected to include mention of the ongoing investigation on a background-check questionnaire he submitted to the FBI.

Richardson, Obama Teams Trade Blame - washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Heck, I had no idea he was under investigation, but in all fairness, don't you think he should have been more upfront with Obama? Kind of one of those dangerous things about tossing cookies back to your supporters, but at least it is getting handled right out of the box instead of after he took his seat.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 PM

Richardson clearly should have disclosed the investigation fully to Obama's staff. Could you imagine if this had happened a month or so after the swearing in ceremony? It would have become the center of attention right off the bat, and redirected Obama towards damage control.

Though I have reservations about Obama, I want to see him get a clean start so I can evalute the decisions on their own merits, as opposed to compensating for other perceived problems.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:30 PM

I was sitting here thinking about this, and can you imagine the level of stress and anxiety among the staff right now. Economic crisis, Middle East crisis, two occupations/wars, the transition process itself and then to have what you think is a loyal ally turn out to have an FBI investigation under way and all this after campaigning for nearly 2 years straight. I bet Obama is going to go from youthful looking to grey headed faster than most Presidents.

So far I like how he is approaching things and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He has no easy task before him and to be frank, I am kind of glad we ended up with a more youthful person this time because it has to be hell physically on the body and take a serious toll, day after day.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:33 PM

I wish I could have heard the exchange between Rahm Emanuel and Richardson concerning this matter.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:37 PM

Now Rahm Emanuel, isn't he a source of more of that stress? I mean isn't he or wasn't he under some kind of investigation with the whole Blago debacle? I haven't heard anything about what took place between Emanuel and Richardson, that's new news to me but I have been focused more on foreign events.

I can't help but get a quiet chuckle out of the thought that Hillary was one of the smoothest appointments, go figure.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I was sitting here thinking about this, and can you imagine the level of stress and anxiety among the staff right now. Economic crisis, Middle East crisis, two occupations/wars, the transition process itself and then to have what you think is a loyal ally turn out to have an FBI investigation under way and all this after campaigning for nearly 2 years straight. I bet Obama is going to go from youthful looking to grey headed faster than most Presidents.

So far I like how he is approaching things and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He has no easy task before him and to be frank, I am kind of glad we ended up with a more youthful person this time because it has to be hell physically on the body and take a serious toll, day after day.
Well, no one forced him to run, he sold the majority of the country into believing he's able to handle it, so we shall see. Anyone could see the handwriting on the wall -- that the next president was going to have an incredible burden and one never knows what more challenges time and circumstance will bring. I didn't think he was ready for the challenge -- and I still doubt that he is -- but we'd all better pray that he gets some fortitude and steel FAST.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:38 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
Geez not mentioning something like this on a background is just stupid on Richardson's part, what an nincompoop. And for Obama's vetting to miss something as big as a Federal investigation is alittle shocking too. Sounds like someone wasn't doing their job.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:12 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,084,255 times
A lot of people believe that Obama really wanted to run (and win) for 2012 or 2016. 2008 was a trial balloon campaign, and he was caught off guard when he actually won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Well, no one forced him to run, he sold the majority of the country into believing he's able to handle it, so we shall see. Anyone could see the handwriting on the wall -- that the next president was going to have an incredible burden and one never knows what more challenges time and circumstance will bring. I didn't think he was ready for the challenge -- and I still doubt that he is -- but we'd all better pray that he gets some fortitude and steel FAST.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:10 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
The investigation had been public knowledge since last summer. It was in all the papers. It's not an investigation of Richardson. It's a national investigation into the political operations of finance firms, one of which has been CDR Financial, a California firm that has dealings with at least half a dozen states, including New Mexico. All that's happened in the past few weeks is that it's been learned that the investigation is still looking at the state Finance Authority, and because one of its members was formerly a deputy chief-of-staff in the Governor's Office, they may want to talk to people there as well. Until something a little more substantial surfaces, some folks might want to see this as a good opportunity to practice holding their horses...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections