Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:36 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,358 times

Advertisements

Simon Tisdall: Barack Obama's silence on Gaza is damaging his reputation | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Quote:
Obama has remained wholly silent during the Gaza crisis. His aides say he is following established protocol that the US has only one president at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 07:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
The battle isn't going anywhere, and it certainly won't be over the course of the next 15 days.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:39 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
I don't blame him for not commenting. I would not either. There is no easy solution here and he will struggle just like every President before him. Tough task for anyone.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:42 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
There's only one President at a time unless you're talking about the economy. It will be find though he has a high 'transition approval rating'.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:50 PM

568 posts, read 1,478,593 times
What can he say that would change anything? Nothing! I hope he stay quiet. Israel isn't a nato member, and I'm sick of us protecting them and they give us their ass to kiss.

Don't drag America into this, we have our own problems!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:52 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
He hasn't been silent on other matters.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:21 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
He hasn't been silent on other matters.
Agreed.
Obama's "we have only one president at a time" has been selective from the minute he created his Office of the President-Elect logo. He has been more than happy to call press conferences and discuss at length his opinions on other issues. Obama is just avoiding taking a stand on a difficult issue. It's what he does.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Obama has commented and taken a stand and Israel knows and remembers it. He said during the campaign that if someone was launching missles towards where his daughters were sleeping he would retaliate and Israel has and quoted him early on. His not saying anything is tacit approval of their actions and he knows it. By saying nothing he is still in postion to broker a ceasefire and possible longer term settlement after Israel has scored points. There was no reason for Hamas to thing Obama would do anything but support Israel. For them to think otherwise would have been a result of reading anti Obama campaign material trying to undercut his Jewish support.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:27 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
I think keeping his mouth shut on this issue is the politically astute thing to do. Waiting and watching, at least on this issue, seems to be the prudent thing to do. He has no power at this point, and this is a tricky issue which could change significantly in the next 15 days. He has already stated his stance on Isreal during his campaign.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:27 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
Agreed.
Obama's "we have only one president at a time" has been selective from the minute he created his Office of the President-Elect logo. He has been more than happy to call press conferences and discuss at length his opinions on other issues. Obama is just avoiding taking a stand on a difficult issue. It's what he does.
In case you forgot!

http://www.jewishjournal.com/article...rdan_20080723/

In meetings with several Israeli leaders Wednesday, Obama reaffirmed his commitment to Israel’s struggle against terrorism and other violent threats, including Iran’s suspected pursuit of nuclear weapons.

“I don’t think any country would find it acceptable to have missiles raining down on its citizens,” Obama said during a stop Wednesday at the police station in Sderot, the Israeli city that has been deluged by rocket fire from the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip.

“If someone was sending rockets on my house where my daughters were sleeping at night, I would do everything to stop it, and I encourage Israel to do same,” addded the U.S. senator from Illinois, speaking in front of shelves filled with mangled Kassam rockets fired by Palestinian militants.

Thus he gave them the green light months ago and most remember it.

What is so hard to understand he encouraged them to do so how long ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections