Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 06:40 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
the bold kinda does not make sense because there are various looks for spainards and italians not counting immigrants
classification in america, its quite simple.. its just that other caucasians who dont look like white -AMERICANS arenot gonna be seen as white and colored in america was another word for blacks.
Um, yes I realize this. First I should have worded it that He has been asked if his heredity was perhaps Italian, Spanish or Portuguese. Second, I Know that Colored was another word for "black" people in America, as I mentioned that is what was recorded on his birth certificate. At the time of my DH's birth, it was standard to have race notated on birth certificates in this country. This practice set a persons course for segragation in many sectors in life at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 06:55 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
obama is mixed, but he's black at the same time since whites attempt to box anyone who isnt white into a group the second they see them.

genetically he is biracial, socially he is perceived as being black.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:51 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
no one is an african americans except for AMERICAN BLACKS. unless we apply the whole notion of the Americas and the african descent people who live in these areas

Many Cape Verdeans consider themselves American Blacks.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 PM

Here is a question for you all:

What exactly is biracial?

How do you define it?

Old 11-12-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Here is a question for you all:

What exactly is biracial?

How do you define it?

you kidding right?

biracial: bi=two or more, racial=race

biracial is two or more races combined. not that hard to comprehend.

genetically he is mixed.

socially though when you see someone who looks like him walk down the road, what do you say, oh, look at that mixed guy.

uhhh no, you say, ok thats a black guy.

thats why he labels himself black, since thats what people on the street label him as.

i basically have the same makeup as him. white mom, black dad, and i can tell you, no white on the street is saying im biracial, even though i am.

so i just socially percieve myself as black even though im not.

i dont really care, i cant be blamed for peoples immediate need to box someone the second they see em.

i do the same thing with different types of whites.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
you kidding right?
No. I asked a question, and I would like you to answer it.

Quote:
biracial: bi=two or more, racial=race

biracial is two or more races combined. not that hard to comprehend.
If it's two or more races, why just "bi" racial?

And why are you making such a hoopla over this when the vast majority of "people of color," in this country, i.e. African Americans and Latinos, are multiracial? Seems to me that Obama's just another bro.

Quote:
genetically he is mixed.
Whoop-de-damn-do.

Quote:
socially though when you see someone who looks like him walk down the road, what do you say, oh, look at that mixed guy.

uhhh no, you say, ok thats a black guy.

thats why he labels himself black, since thats what people on the street label him as.
Like I said, he's just another brother.

Quote:
i basically have the same makeup as him. white mom, black dad, and i can tell you, no white on the street is saying im biracial, even though i am.

so i just socially percieve myself as black even though im not.
Tragic.

Quote:
i dont really care, i cant be blamed for peoples immediate need to box someone the second they see em.
That's how America is. Deal with it.

Quote:
i do the same thing with different types of whites.
Different types of whites?

Old 11-12-2009, 02:48 PM

im not making a deal of it, im correcting you.

he is only black because people say he is black,because people box people based on what they see.

if i see a certain type of white, ill box them as well so it happens with everyone.

not really a big deal

Old 11-12-2009, 04:10 PM

380 posts, read 691,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
This is where you are mistaking about most biracial identifying with one or the other. As you know, you can't take what just someone in the spot light does, it doesnt always represent many as a whole. There are a lot of groups, and movements out there for biracial people to be identified as just that, biracial, accepting and being proud of both, not being forced to identify as just one or the other. Since these groups have thousands of members, then it would be false to say that most, choose one or the other.
Despite whether there's a current movement or not, traditionally, biracial people have chosen to exist as one race or the other. I know many biracial people that identify themselves as African American, since they experience racism from whites. Although they experience some issues from the black race, they would rather choose to identify themselves as black than experience hatred and outright rejection from whites.

Finally, whether you want to admit it, or not, many biracial people also feel "superior" because they have "white" flowing in their veins, which makes them usually feel they have "better" hair, skin color and features than "pure" African Americans. I know...I'm going to get bombarded with comments from the "we're all mixed with something" folk, however, let's keep it real, you know what I mean...

Old 11-12-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
im not making a deal of it, im correcting you.

he is only black because people say he is black,because people box people based on what they see.

if i see a certain type of white, ill box them as well so it happens with everyone.

not really a big deal

My point is, either Obama is black or all blacks are biracial. See what I'm saying?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:51 PM

[quote=teejuris;11601478]Despite whether there's a current movement or not, traditionally, biracial people have chosen to exist as one race or the other. I know many biracial people that identify themselves as African American, since they experience racism from whites. Although they experience some issues from the black race, they would rather choose to identify themselves as black than experience hatred and outright rejection from whites.

Finally, whether you want to admit it, or not, many biracial people also feel "superior" because they have "white" flowing in their veins, which makes them usually feel they have "better" hair, skin color and features than "pure" African Americans. I know...I'm going to get bombarded with comments from the "we're all mixed with something" folk, however, let's keep it real, you know what I mean...[/quote]

What do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections