Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:25 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,853,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Just so we're clear...Iraq bad, Afghanistan good?
Iraq did not attack us they had nothing to do with 9/11 therefore we had no business invading Iraq! Osama waged war on us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So you are supporting the expanding of the war in Afghanistan?
I support bringing those responsible for 9/11 to justice!

Old 01-25-2009, 11:37 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,499,977 times
He will be forced to try and fight a war and be politically correct. This will be what puts the democratic party back into shambles it was before the election. 2 years and no one to blame for failures or not so pretty consequences they will turn on each other.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:43 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,713,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Iraq did not attack us they had nothing to do with 9/11 therefore we had no business invading Iraq! Osama waged war on us!
Osama the Saudi waged war on us...so...you are ok with us fighting in Afghanistan?

Old 01-25-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Osama the Saudi waged war on us...so...you are ok with us fighting in Afghanistan?
Do you need everything repeated to you! I support bringing those responsible for 9/11 to justice!

Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
He will be forced to try and fight a war and be politically correct. This will be what puts the democratic party back into shambles it was before the election. 2 years and no one to blame for failures or not so pretty consequences they will turn on each other.
I think your argument would have merit being applied to most Dems, but IMO Obama won't struggle with this issue! Some that are far left will turn on him as the far right turned on Bush! Lets face it once elected a president should act on the entire electorate, and not just the ones that sit on the same side of the aisle! The fringe of the base is usually disappointed as with Clinton!

Old 01-25-2009, 11:57 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,713,018 times
Quote:
Do you need everything repeated to you! I support bringing those responsible for 9/11 to justice!
Right...and most of the 9/11 folks were Saudis, not Iraqis or Afghanis.

Anyway, I don't think anyone ever really claimed that Iraq was connected to 9/11. Maybe some veiled implications here or there, but no one ever used 9/11 as a justification for invading Iraq. Saddam needed to be taken out, pure and simple.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:57 PM

Default Couple that with the mindset of oil for food...

Quote:

This lesson was applied, using Tomahawk missiles, early in the Clinton administration.George H.W.Bush was scheduled to visit Kuwait to be honored for his rescue of that country in the Gulf War of 1991. Kuwaiti security services warned Washington that Iraqi agents were planning to assassinate the former president. President Clinton not only ordered precautions to protect Bush but asked about options for a reprisal against Iraq.The Pentagon proposed 12 targets for Tomahawk missiles. Debate in the White House and at the CIA about possible collateral damage pared the list down to three, then to one— Iraqi intelligence headquarters in central Baghdad. The attack was made at night,to minimize civilian casualties.Twenty-three missiles were fired.Other than one civilian casualty, the operation seemed completely successful: the intelligence headquarters was demolished. No further intelligence came in about terrorist acts planned by Iraq.

http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/911comm-sec3.pdf

It seems you would like to make Hussein out to be an innocent actor.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 01-26-2009 at 12:16 AM..

Old 01-26-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
This lesson was applied, using Tomahawk missiles, early in the Clinton administration.George H.W.Bush was scheduled to visit Kuwait to be honored for his rescue of that country in the Gulf War of 1991. Kuwaiti security services warned Washington that Iraqi agents were planning to assassinate the former president. President Clinton not only ordered precautions to protect Bush but asked about options for a reprisal against Iraq.The Pentagon proposed 12 targets for Tomahawk missiles. Debate in the White House and at the CIA about possible collateral damage pared the list down to three, then to one— Iraqi intelligence headquarters in central Baghdad. The attack was made at night,to minimize civilian casualties.Twenty-three missiles were fired.Other than one civilian casualty, the operation seemed completely successful: the intelligence headquarters was demolished. No further intelligence came in about terrorist acts planned by Iraq.

http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/911comm-sec3.pdf

It seems you would like to make Hussein out to be an innocent actor.
Not at all! I unfortunately am not too young to remember this! I disagreed with the attack! It seemed to me that Willy just wanted to look tough! You still can't deny that there is no intelligence linking Iraq to terrorism! Whether you like it or not we are a nation of laws and beaurocracy! It is our greatest strength most of the time! Sometimes it allows us to be scrutinized! I like being held to a high standard! It means we have earned high expectations!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Not at all! I unfortunately am not too young to remember this! I disagreed with the attack! It seemed to me that Willy just wanted to look tough! You still can't deny that there is no intelligence linking Iraq to terrorism! Whether you like it or not we are a nation of laws and beaurocracy! It is our greatest strength most of the time! Sometimes it allows us to be scrutinized! I like being held to a high standard! It means we have earned high expectations!
You're right there were no ties. However the very last draw for him was our aid being turned into his own personal funding. In place of US dollars in the oil for food program the Iraqi people got rotted food and shoddy supplies while his military built up. In 30 years no one will say Iraq would have been better off under Hussein and then later passed off to his two equally tyrannical sons leaving us and the rest of the world with decades more of the Hussein policy leaving the people of Iraq with no choices other than to just accept conditions as they could never liberate their own country themselves. Saddam made sure that they had the fear of god in them. Read some of the accounts of the mass murders he committed. And while in retrospect the reasons for invading were false the reports verifies there was no political influence in the intel assessments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections