Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 02:07 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,347 times

Advertisements

And actually crossed 8000 at one point today. I know better than to say that President Obama's plans are working because I know that there will be a number of people who will explain exactly how George Bush actually caused the surge. All I will say is Thank God and hope that it continues to rise and that we are out of this recession soon.

Hmmm. I think I will say, "Thank you, President Obama..." Attack away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 02:10 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,902 times
It could be a recovery or it could be a dead cat bounce. Time will tell.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:12 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Actually, it hit higher than 8,000 at the point this thread was started. But then Obama started talking and the numbers started dropping.

Business as usual.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:38 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
It could be a recovery or it could be a dead cat bounce. Time will tell.
It's a dead cat bounce. Or suckers' rally, if you prefer.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:57 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
And actually crossed 8000 at one point today. I know better than to say that President Obama's plans are working because I know that there will be a number of people who will explain exactly how George Bush actually caused the surge. All I will say is Thank God and hope that it continues to rise and that we are out of this recession soon.

Hmmm. I think I will say, "Thank you, President Obama..." Attack away.
Obama is doing the right things to turn this economy around...

Let the extreme right wing fringe attack all they want - their opinions are absolutely meaningless - and becoming more and more marginalized as time goes by..

The market is up due to the confidence that Obama and Geithner are inspiring in the American public, and on Wall Street.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:20 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,932 times
What I look is the trend over the last few weeks and that is the markets seem to be gaining something everyday and the losses are becoming fewer. I'm not ready to say that this is a full blown recovery because like the POTUS has set, It's going take several different solutions to solve our problems, it wasn't created in one day or week, well, yes it was...when G.W Bush took office.....HA....but hopefully this upward trend continues.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:27 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
I think I will save the champagne for when the all the jobs that were lost return to the economy. However, most of us are intelligent enough not to judge the next few years by one week of watching the stock market.

Now that the market is rebounding, Obama needs to come out and admit that the stimulus package was indeed a fruition of his personal agenda, and not intended to save the economy. Especially considering the vast majority of the package is not going to come into play until 2010 and later.

Including what Obama and Bush have both done through bailouts and so called 'stimulus', we have spent at least $2 trillion to save the economy. Hopefully that enormous loss will be made up for, else the Chinese are not going to be happy when they call the loans due.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:37 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I think I will save the champagne for when the all the jobs that were lost return to the economy. However, most of us are intelligent enough not to judge the next few years by one week of watching the stock market.

Now that the market is rebounding, Obama needs to come out and admit that the stimulus package was indeed a fruition of his personal agenda, and not intended to save the economy. Especially considering the vast majority of the package is not going to come into play until 2010 and later.

Including what Obama and Bush have both done through bailouts and so called 'stimulus', we have spent at least $2 trillion to save the economy. Hopefully that enormous loss will be made up for, else the Chinese are not going to be happy when they call the loans due.
Aw, c'mon... you're harshing their delusion.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:01 PM

500 posts, read 703,028 times
This is definitely good news for my 401K. Heck, any positive news in the economy is good, but don't forget the economics that are at risk. Recessions and wars in Afghanistan and Iraq will end, but the debt that is being added to the national deficit by the current administration will continue on for MANY generations, and that debt will deal a crushing blow to this country. Additionally, the government and the average citizen forget that banks have not entirely accounted for the trillions of credit card debt still outstanding that cannot be paid, AND the impact of the commercial real estate sector has not been factored in....so in other words, don't get too excited.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:09 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,932 times
Yeah buddy, the dow closed above 8000 today....we're slowly but surely clearing away the old filth left behind by Dumb and Dumber, I mean former VP Mr. DICK & Pres. Bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections