Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:22 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
you proved me right, Lord Balfor
Glad to oblige.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----" There really is no positive spin to put on these numbers"--says Jennifer Lee an economist with BMO Capital Markets

I agree. It's a pretty sad day if we're EXCITED about losing 247,000 jobs in one month. Considering the amount of jobs we need to create per month just to maintain the unemployment rate at the same level (roughly 100,000-150,000), that's 347,000-397,000 fewer jobs than we need just to maintain a steady unemployment rate.

The drop in the unemployment rate was a total fraud. Our currency is dropping and the deficit and debt are skyrocketing our of control. In addition, every major proposal Obama and the (D)s support will only make things much worse.

When I see people supporting this garbage from the (D) party, I wonder if they're really that stupid.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 AM

638 posts, read 929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Lets wait another 6 months and another trillion in Obama spending and we will see it was all for nothing.

No matter what you say, Obama has the WH and a dem controlled congress and they still cannot get anything done.

The housing problem was started by Clinton and hit its maturity under Bush simply by the luck of the draw. You friends Frank and Dodd were are huge part of this.

Take of responsibility yourself, your party has the WH and congress and on Jan 20, 2009 they took total control of this country. Here we are 8 months later and things are getting much worse and we have spent ourselves into a hole we are not going to get out of.

This economy is yours no matter what you say or think.

I can almost promise you when and if things ever get any better that you will give all the credit to Obama when it would actually be Bush that should be getting the credit.

Your boy Obama has dug us into a hole we may never see our way out of it.
So let me make sure I got this right. According to you, the seeds for the housing bomb were sown by Clinton along with aide from Barny and Dodd. Bush then inherited the fiasco which reached maturity under his watch creating the recession in which we are dealing with currently. Then according to you Obama came in and made things much worse with “his spending”. So now again according to you any recovery we experience in the future will be due to Bush’s policies and not Obama’s, right?

I’m sorry but I think I missed something there. Your numbers don’t quite add up. According to you the dems are solely responsible taking the repubs along for a bumpy nearly twenty year ride, right? Ummmm, I don’t think so! LOL There are so many things wrong with that logic. The biggest being that of Bush’s policies. I he was that were affective we would have experienced some gain from his policies at this point. We haven’t however. The economic indicators for the country have been in decline for a decade. World economists have warned the US of the US citizens propensity to spend since 2000 warning that cheap credit would not always be readily available and that continued reliance on such conveniences placed a great risk on the dollar. Continuing to run up debts would eventually force foreign countries to turn from the dollar as an investment tool causing the entire economic structure to crumble, a situation that would have been far worse than the one that we find ourselves in currently.

You have to remember that the repubs have held solid control of the house since 1997 and held the presidency from 2000-08. Yes they lost the house in 2006 however that gave them six years of total domination. Over a six year period they couldn’t take the opportunity to address a problem, that according to you was extremely obvious and of dem creation? Six years, and you now want to cry about a lack of correction after only eight months of leadership from Barack. I’m sorry but if your logic holds true, that sort of situation paints the repub party far more negatively in my eyes. Six years of dominance is more than enough to correct such issues. Why didn’t the repubs act when given a chance?

The answer is probably more from the fact that neither party indentified the impending doom. Neither party could fully appreciate the growing storm cloud. The greater truth is that this problem was the creation of both parties. Additionally it took many years to get us in the situation that we are currently in and probably will take us several more to fully escape. We should all count our lucky starts that the worse situation did not occur a full scale abandonment of the US dollar investiture. Such a scenario would make our current situation “the good ole days” by comparison. No one has the ability to walk into the presidency and fix this fiasco in a short series of months. We are blessed with the largest, most diverse, and most complicated economies in the world. We sneeze and Asia gets the flu. Being so complicated negates quick and easy fixes. Time was a major factor in creating this and will be so in fixing it. The main lesson we should all take is to take a step back and let Barack get his hands dirty, give him the chance to repair the mess. If he doesn’t, vote him out. Additionally we all should take a lesson form the fiasco. There is no such thing as easy credit. There is always a cost associated with every venture. We all need to take greater responsibility for our own individual actions.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:09 AM

638 posts, read 929,741 times
Additionally, if you guys think it's so bad here, look at the unemployement numbers of Spain. Their currently experiencing 18 to 19% unemployment rates. As the Lord Balfor stated the overall long range data is trending down for job loss. Additionally with recessions unemployement is traditionally the last item to improve. It usually lags behind othe rimporvments by months.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I agree. It's a pretty sad day if we're EXCITED about losing 247,000 jobs in one month.
I agree it's a pretty sad day when we are excited about only losing 247,000 jobs - but the fact is, this administration came into power when the economy was massively in trouble. So, when you start out inheriting an economy that was in the process of losing 700,000+ jobs that very month, working it down to 247,000 is pretty darned good news. I don't like it, but that's the shape GW left the country in. The fact is, we are half-way to where we need to be in regards to continually losing jobs - the economy has improved the monthly layoff rate by half a million a month. Now we have another half a million per month to go.

No one said it would be easy, but we'll get there.

Ken

Old 08-13-2009, 12:37 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lmao Typical spin doctor. I get it now. It's not about the facts it's about predictions.
So if the loss wasnt expected only then it would be bad news? 247,000 jobs were lost period.
Are these predictions from the same ones who told us the stimulus package would keep unemployment under 8 percent?
You know a ton about economics, obviously.
Lol.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:21 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
You know a ton about economics, obviously.
Lol.
I know enough to understand the loss of 247,000 jobs is no reason to celebrate like a drunken fool.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I know enough to understand the loss of 247,000 jobs is no reason to celebrate like a drunken fool.
It is when you are down from 700,000+.

The trend is in the right direction - and it has been generally so since Februrary.

Ken

Old 08-17-2009, 07:26 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,003,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
But who was in CONTROL?

Ken
Niether party were "in control" the republicans did not have super majority and needed democratic support. Now that the democrats have their super majority they are "in control" and can't blame Republicans for anything.

Where you smacking your own head?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:28 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,003,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
It is when you are down from 700,000+.

The trend is in the right direction - and it has been generally so since Februrary.

Ken
The only thing down is the net job loss which is still a quarter of a million. So many people have fallen off the unemployment rolls because they have been on them "actively" looking for a job far to long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections