Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would Carly Fiorina make a good U. S. Senator ?
Yes. (Feel free to elaborate in the thread.) 12 42.86%
No. (Feel free to elaborate in the thread.) 13 46.43%
Not sure / no opinion. (Feel free to elaborate in the thread.) 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:04 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

Carly Fiorina, former head of computer / printer / tech firm Hewlett-Packard may take a shot at the GOP primary for U.S. Senate from California. If successful in the GOP primary, she would challenge Barbara Boxer for the seat. Story is at this link.

Boxer is 3 term U.S. Senator with at least $5M in her purse to campaign on.

I'm not nuts about her, but IMO if she had been McCain's running mate she would be V-P today. She was essentially booted out of McCain's campaign for saying that neither McCain nor Palin were fit to run a company of any size. She was right, too. When she was head of H-P, there was a lot of controversy and she left the company under a bit of a cloud, one of those people around whom a lot of storm clouds often swirl. Not sure if she'd be a good Senator or a loose cannon sort.

Two excerpts from the link:

- A former economic adviser and presence on cable news, Fiorina was largely sidelined from public appearances by the McCain campaign after telling an interviewer she didn't think either member of the GOP presidential ticket was qualified to run a major company.

- Democrats wasted little time in attacking Fiorina's latest move. “This is a person who was fired from Hewlett Packard for running the company into the ground, fired from the McCain Presidential Campaign for incompetence, and now thinks the people of California are going to hire her," said Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee spokesman Eric Schultz.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 10:52 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
I'm not sure that she'd be very good at it. Although from all appearances she has the oversized ego necessary for the job. Had McCain picked her for VP she would still be unemployed and S. Palin would still be a moderately competent governor of Alaska.

McCain's internal polling told him that he was going to lose, and lose bad unless he pulled some sort of "Hail Mary" play. Palin wasn't it because the more she talked the more people realized that there isn't anything there. I think Fiorina may have been a quicker study on the issues but she probably would have blown up during an interview and ended her right there.

Although, based on the R party convention rules she would have caused a floor fight as soon as her name was put up. IIRC it only takes 3 or 4 states to "throw a tantrum" (and more than that would have) to gum up the convention.

golfgod

Old 08-19-2009, 06:02 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'm not nuts about her, but IMO if she had been McCain's running mate she would be V-P today.
Doubtful. McCain was the reason McCain lost. Sarah Palin gave him a big boost, and was raking in millions of dollars for the campaign wherever she spoke; but it wasn't enough to overcome his reputation as a "moderate" and "flip-flopper", to say nothing of his support for so-called "Immigration Reform", which was essentially an amnesty bill. McCain is primarily just another Democrat. That's why he lost.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:32 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
You guys may be right, that McCain would've lost no matter what. I loved the guy in 2000 but by 2008 he was so over the hill and I knew so much more about him that there was no way I could vote for him. Nor did I want a Bush "third term" and that's about all he was offering. I suspect that Fiorina would've been decent in front of interviewers, but yes, the extreme religious right would've rebelled at the GOP convention (as they promised) at her being on the ticket instead of someone they liked.

If she does enter the Senate race in California it will be interesting indeed.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:21 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Can she be a good senator...

Well the bar has been set so low over the past few years, it's sort of hard to imagine anyone with half a brain not being a "good Senator" and Fiorina has more than half a brain.

But having said that, I can't wait until her first speech touting her executive experience.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:34 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Can she be a good senator...

Well the bar has been set so low over the past few years, it's sort of hard to imagine anyone with half a brain not being a "good Senator" and Fiorina has more than half a brain.

But having said that, I can't wait until her first speech touting her executive experience.

Anybody would be better than boxer, what a pig...corrupt to the bone...Like her DH...

Old 08-19-2009, 11:59 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Doubtful. McCain was the reason McCain lost. Sarah Palin gave him a big boost, and was raking in millions of dollars for the campaign wherever she spoke; but it wasn't enough to overcome his reputation as a "moderate" and "flip-flopper", to say nothing of his support for so-called "Immigration Reform", which was essentially an amnesty bill. McCain is primarily just another Democrat. That's why he lost.
When Sarah Palin was put on the ticket, yea, it boosted McCain's conservative street cred, but her wackiness and general inarticulate and lack of curiosity didn't win over thinking independents or Hillary supporters (like me) who also weren't high on Obama. The day Palin joined the ticket was the day my vote went for Barack obama. The thought of Sarah Palin being one stopped heart away from being able to nominate supreme court justices and representing the greatest country on earth gave me the heebie jeebies.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:04 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Ms Fiorina carries a lot of baggage. One of my favorite quotes:

"Fiorina Said U.S. Can't Be Distracted by 'Short Term Employment Concerns.' Promoting outsourcing, Fiorina said that "the country cannot afford to be distracted by short-term financial and employment concerns. 'The biggest barrier [to solutions] is our nation's attention span,' she said." [3]"

McCainpedia | McCainpedia

Old 09-04-2009, 09:33 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Yes, she would be a good choice, purely because she is not Barbara Boxer. If only we could get Nancy Pelosi out of there. I would at least like to see Pelosi excommunicated from the Catholic Church for her blatant anti-Catholic beliefs.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:40 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
The baggage appears to be getting heavier:

"Now the person who headed HP for much of that time, Carly Fiorina, is ramping up to run for U.S. Senate. And questions are emerging about what Fiorina knew about HP's growing presence in Iran during her six-year tenure at the Silicon Valley firm from 1999 to 2005."

Fiorina, eyeing Senate run, faces questions over HP sales in Iran - San Jose Mercury News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections