Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:44 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That what I get for typing too fast and not proof reading, I didn't mean Arnold, I meant Armey (you know as in Texas) you are right, certainly Arnold can't run, probably wouldn't and certainly would go nowhere fast regardless of what kind of shape he might be in....
Oh, Armey. Him, I would consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 08:52 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Even as a staunch Democrat, I find Jeb, in comparison to a lot of possible GOP candidates to be more than palpable. Unlike his brother, he is a smart, thoughtful, and compassionate man with little personal tolerance for the whacko school so evident in the today's GOP. Unfortunately for Jeb, there won't be another Bush in the White House in my life-time.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Oh, Armey. Him, I would consider.
I don't think Armey or Arnold (only kidding, not Arnold) is considering it, but yes, knowing him slightly and living in his district when he was a rep, I would as well.

NIta

Old 11-16-2009, 09:08 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,216,113 times
Quote:
No, certainly not Bush and yes, I work for a company that in nationwide, headquartered in Ft Lauderdale. I really don't agree with you on anything, but I used to think you were relatively bright. Either I was wrong, or you are just niave. Why do I say this? Because you obvioulsy know nothing about NWA. By the way, I spent most of my life in the urban cities of Los Angeles and San Francisco, then 7 years in DC and 13 in Texas. That was after going to college in both San Diego and Boulder...

Nita
Ahhh, I used to live just outside Boulder. My husband got his Ph.D from University of Colorado. I've also lived in Ft. Lauderdale and then Miami (downtown) for a number of years. Worked in Miami.

Well, you're right......I know nothing about NWA.....as a matter of fact I don't even know what NWA means.

And how was I wrong about there being a big culture shock going from Ft. Lauderdale to Arkansas?

Old 11-16-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Really? he is with older Cuban Americans who are a dying breed and the rest of the hispanics in Florida are overwhelmingly Democratic. Obama won the younger Cuban American vote in Miami and many are grateful to Obama for lifting travel restrictions to Cuba & the amount of money that can be sent to relatives.
Oh by the way just because Jeb is married to a hispanic doesn't mean squat! Thanks for thinking all that we hispanics care about is what ethnicity a canidates wife is! How patronizing!
I agree. Amazing how so many people think that because someone is married to a Hispanic means that they will get the vote of all hispanics! It is patronizing.

It is also good to see that younger Cuban Americans are thinking for themselves and not just dedicated to the older Cuban exile beliefs and issues. Jeb Bush got his "start" in business with the older Cuban exiles and CANF and those people are his connections.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Ahhh, I used to live just outside Boulder. My husband got his Ph.D from University of Colorado. I've also lived in Ft. Lauderdale and then Miami (downtown) for a number of years. Worked in Miami.

Well, you're right......I know nothing about NWA.....as a matter of fact I don't even know what NWA means.

And how was I wrong about there being a big culture shock going from Ft. Lauderdale to Arkansas?
I hate to admit we have anything in common, but yes, I went to Cu for a year and then transferred to a Ca school and my dad got his Bach of science degree from Boulder. His masters was from USC and second from UCLA> The big difference, when dad went there is probably wasn't the most liberal school in the country, when I went there it was beginning to turn to the left, but more than anything it was a party school. That is why my parents suggested (strongly I would add) I return to Ca for the rest of my college days. Of course now, it prides itself on professors like Ward Churchill.

Nita

Old 11-17-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I hate to admit we have anything in common, but yes, I went to Cu for a year and then transferred to a Ca school and my dad got his Bach of science degree from Boulder. His masters was from USC and second from UCLA> The big difference, when dad went there is probably wasn't the most liberal school in the country, when I went there it was beginning to turn to the left, but more than anything it was a party school. That is why my parents suggested (strongly I would add) I return to Ca for the rest of my college days. Of course now, it prides itself on professors like Ward Churchill.

Nita
Boulder is extremely liberal. Do you remember Naropa Institute? Also Alan Ginsberg and all those folks used to live in Boulder long, long ago where they protested the Vietnam war as well as marched on that place near Boulder where they used to make triggers for nuclear weapons.

I think CU prides itself on having professors like the late Vine Deloria as well.

When I worked in Denver people used to refer to Boulder as "The People's Republic"......the rest of Colorado is very conservative, especially Colorado Springs.

Btw, what is NWA? You didn't tell me.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:46 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Boulder is extremely liberal. Do you remember Naropa Institute? Also Alan Ginsberg and all those folks used to live in Boulder long, long ago where they protested the Vietnam war as well as marched on that place near Boulder where they used to make triggers for nuclear weapons.

I think CU prides itself on having professors like the late Vine Deloria as well.

When I worked in Denver people used to refer to Boulder as "The People's Republic"......the rest of Colorado is very conservative, especially Colorado Springs.

I wouldn't say the rest of Colorado is conservative, though obviously Colorado Springs is. The Ski resort areas tend to be very liberal as well. Suburban Denver (especially areas closer to the city) have become much more liberal as well. Jefferson & Araphoe counties use to be staunchly Republican, Dole won both fairly comfortably in 96 despite Clinton winning by 8.5 nationally, Obama's margin was slightly less than Clinton's 96 margin, but he took Jefferson by 9, and Araphoe by 13.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:

NWA is No West AR and very different than the rest of the state. Well, not totally but it is conservative and Republican, not just conservative. There are no more rednecks here than most places in the country. We have several major corp that are headquartered here, of course Wal Mart being the best known.

Most people who live here were not born in AR. Many are from Minn and WS as well as Ca, Texas, NE and others parts of the country, including Florida.

Though we do have the bible thumpers, they are not as in your face as in much of the south...We also have communities, like Eureka Springs that are gay friendly..

Sure, in many ways we are quite different from Ft Lauderdale and the rest of Florida, if nothing else our weather and lack of people, but we are not what you might think of when you think of AR. In fact AR period is not like many people might think.

Nita

Old 11-18-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I wouldn't say the rest of Colorado is conservative, though obviously Colorado Springs is. The Ski resort areas tend to be very liberal as well. Suburban Denver (especially areas closer to the city) have become much more liberal as well. Jefferson & Araphoe counties use to be staunchly Republican, Dole won both fairly comfortably in 96 despite Clinton winning by 8.5 nationally, Obama's margin was slightly less than Clinton's 96 margin, but he took Jefferson by 9, and Araphoe by 13.
Good News! I haven't lived in Colorado over the past 8 years. When I lived out there Aspen and Boulder were the most expensive places to live in Colorado as well as the most liberal.

Btw, I really loved working in Denver when I lived out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections