Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 03:37 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times

Advertisements

Hollywood sucks, plain and simple...

...thank god they aren't the only people making movies though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
This is what being an artist is all about. I will admit that sometimes it could be the networks wanting more money. Everyone knows Hollywood is full of artist types. Artists hate doing the same thing over and over so if there is a movie that is a few decades old, then writers will come along and rewrite it to try something new and a director will sign onto it. This is just my theory but as an artist I can tell you, we hate the old and always want new.
Right. So often remakes fail, too. The new Death at a Funeral falls flat compared to the original.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:56 PM

133 posts, read 173,923 times
Hollywood isn't dying but it probably should.

The biggest problem is that we stupidly throw our money at hollywood by buying their product.
And I'm just as guilty as others. One in a while I buy a BRD now and then.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
No. Hollywood still makes boatloads of money worldwide. However many would say that Hollywood is bankrupt of any thing even approaching originality. Hollywood has always remade popular stories, sometimes over and over again (Frankenstein for example). But now the trickle seems to have become a raging torrent of subpar remakes which smacks of nothing more than laziness, and a averseness to risk taking.
I don't know why Hollywood remakes perfectly good movies. They should remake bad movies and try to make them better.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:37 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
I will add that while the concept of "Hollywood" (i.e., the source of motion pictures) is not dying, the 'real' Hollywood is dying as the place where movies are actually made, on sound lots, etc.

It used to be that if a movie was being made outside Hollywood, the ads would trumpet that it was being made 'on location' in whatever part of the world it was being made.

Now, so many movies are being made outside of the confines of Hollywood that I never see such ads. Heck, even if the movie may concern Los Angeles, the film maker may well be filming much of the movie in Canada or some such place, save for the 'second unit' shots of LA landmarks.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,779 times
Is there a reason you only posted a link or is this another one of your meaningless threads?? As if I didn't already know the answer

Old 05-04-2012, 11:07 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times
No. Megaupload gravely wounded it; Youtube delivered the death wound.

In a few years, expect to go to your movie theater and pay $1 to watch YouTube originals (such as compilations of "vlogs") projected on the big screen.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:17 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I will add that while the concept of "Hollywood" (i.e., the source of motion pictures) is not dying, the 'real' Hollywood is dying as the place where movies are actually made, on sound lots, etc.
Not so sure about that... There's of course only one major studio still operating in Hollywood proper (Paramount), but if you extend to include Burbank, Universal City, Culver City etc., both backlots and sound stages are seeing a fair amount of use.

I've spent a lot of time on both Universal and Paramount lots, and I see their buildings being used all the time. For street shots, it's still much cheaper to dress a backlot than it is to move a unit to a genuine city, with all those annoying people wanting to go about their business.

Quote:
It used to be that if a movie was being made outside Hollywood, the ads would trumpet that it was being made 'on location' in whatever part of the world it was being made.

Now, so many movies are being made outside of the confines of Hollywood that I never see such ads.
Well, with LA sprawling as it is and LA traffic being what it is, major exterior shots aren't really feasible. And tentpole productions have the travel budget, of course. But for interior shots, sound stages are still in demand.

Quote:
Heck, even if the movie may concern Los Angeles, the film maker may well be filming much of the movie in Canada or some such place, save for the 'second unit' shots of LA landmarks.
That's the same for all major cities - it's just a hassle. Still, LA is the only city I've noticed where properties will have permanent signs up saying "Available for filming"...

Old 05-05-2012, 12:25 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,542,767 times
What i would like to see is every new movie have completely unknown actors...wish the directors would cast complete unknowns for each movie they produce. There is alot of talent out there and we deserve to see others out there. Same for the music industry. I get tired of hearing the same artists for jingles, commercials, etc. I'm kinda glad youtube is out there since it does give other artists a chance as far as music...would like to see the same for movies...maybe unknown actors can start making movies and put it on youtube.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:33 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,490,798 times
Technically they havent made a movie in Hollywood in 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts