Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 03:53 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times

Advertisements

Most of the behaviors described are what I'd expect at a rock concert. It's part of the fun and experience. I've enjoyed it some in the past but that's just not my scene anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 07:54 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I attend a lot of rock concerts (13 this year), and many, many performers actively encourage the audience to sing along. They hold the mic out to the fans to pick up on the singing, turn the house lights on toward the crowd, and even stop singing themselves so the voices in the audience can be heard. Just turn on VH1 or Palladia channels on TV to see some concerts and festivals to see how this has become the worldwide norm.

It's true. Rock and Roll feeds off the audience energy. I myself would usually rather sit and listen, but that's not gonna happen.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:43 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
I love concerts, and yeah there's always stupid people. Usually I find it entertaining though. Streaking, people face planting, all entertainment for me. People are going to sing, that's a given. I know I do. I never really hear anybody singing that it bothers me, the acts are usually much louder. And I am by no means "part of the problem". I do not drink or smoke and I am all of 5'2. I am usually the one who can't see so you can bet you butt if I am in seats I am not gonna just sit there with my hands folded staring at peoples backs. You adapt to your surroundings, it's not a symphony.

I usually don't pay more for seats. I just do the lawn, I can usually see better there. The most annoying concert experience I have had was at a Wiz Khalifa/FOB concert. It was 3 moms and their 5 pre-teen daughters (maybe 10-12 years old). I am assuming they did not know what Wiz Khalifa is known for or any of his songs. We were also in Khalifas home city, so obviously it was gonna be big for him. First, we were all in the lawn, so no assigned seats. They laid out a HUGE tarp with chairs and during the concert as people got excited and wanted closer (which ALWAYS happens) if anybody even put a toe on their tarp the one mom told them to "get off THEIR tarp" lmao And of course there was A LOT of weed. Heck, wiz lit up on stage and passed around giant inflatable joints. The mothers were just appalled and made their daughters sit down and cover their mouths with their jackets. The girls kept whining about the smell.

Then I got pushed forward and stumbled onto their tarp and lawn chairs. I though the mom was gonna fight me even though I apologized. I told her I got pushed and it is a concert and there was nothing I could do about it. They ended up folding up their chairs up and standing, using the chairs as a "barrier" for their tarp. It was dark so people walking through kept tripping on them and they acted like it was the peoples fault. Someone could have twisted their ankle. They finally left halfway through FOB. FOB by no means is an inappropriate band for kids that age, but many of their original fans are grown adults, there will be alcohol and there will be weed if it's an outside concert. This wasn't a 1D concert.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:19 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
There's nothing new about this. Ever hear of a little band called The Beatles? Their fans routinely went apesht crazy with hysterics.
When interviewed after the concert, the screaming kids said "If you want to hear the songs, buy the record. We came to SEE the Beatles!".

Old 04-22-2016, 02:28 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
If you don't like people having fun at a concert, buy the album, and listen to it with your eyes closed.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:11 AM

919 posts, read 789,622 times
Quote:
If you don't like people having fun at a concert,
yeah, like the fun people had throwing lit firecrackers and cherry bombs from the balcony at a Stevie Wonder show in Philadelphia.

After that I did quit going to shows at large venues.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:22 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Probably a generational divide is the taping of events with smart phones. I've gotten used to it at rock venues but at a quiet & dark solo performances holding what is essentially a bright light source in the air at eye level to all behind you is really distracting & rude. And all you end up with is a really awful sounding & shaky video that no one wants to see later.... (unless Bieber splits his pants)
Yeah, that bugs the crap out of me. I'm 6'2" so I can usually see above anyone in front of me, but not if you keep sticking a cell phone in my sightline.

I used to get annoyed about the standing up because for quite some time I had a back issue that got worse when I stood in one place for a long time. I don't go to many arena shows these days. I like lawns. And I can lean on the bar at most clubs.

Funny thing... the last arena show I went to was Prince's Musicology tour. Great show, but what was most interesting was that it was perhaps the best behaved - still excited and dancing and singing along and whatnot, but really behaved - crowd of any arena show I've attended.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:07 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to rock concert behavior. It doesn't bother me if people dance, sing, shout, use their cell phones ... whatever. But I was pretty flabbergasted at this past weekend's Jimmy Buffett concert.

Because it was a rare Saturday night show, then venue was PACKED. I've honestly never seen a pavilion lawn that crowded. About halfway through the show, my lower back was starting to hurt, so I sat down on my blanket (I had long since given up hopes of having my blanket spread out because of people walking across it, so it was mostly bunched up under my legs).

Sitting wasn't ideal of course, because it basically put me eye level with butts, but I was still enjoying the music, and dancing around as much as I could on my keister. Then it started happening ... people literally started walking over me. I know they saw me or else they would have tripped over me. But they were literally stepping over my lap. I was half expecting to get a foot to the face. I had to grab my best friend and holler at her to get a couple of the guys that were with us to stand on either side of me.

I know it was crowded, and people were trying to get to the bathroom or get their precious beer, but invading my space so much as to step over me was NOT the only way of getting there.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:41 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,470,430 times
I stopped going to Arena type big concerts when they started mandatory seating at Metallica concerts. If we tried to move the security was all over us. Lit up....security.

I still go to small venues and enjoy them. I am short so I have to fight my way to the front but it's always a good time.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:22 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It's past time.

I'm 47 and just went to a Luke Bryan concert Friday night. Everyone there was polite and respectful, but standing and dancing. That's what you do at a music concert.
I'm 57 and went to 50 Years of the Who in Atlantic City last year. Lots of older people in the audience, and surprisingly to me, lots of younger ones, too. I was up on my feet. Couldn't help it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts