Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:14 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

Too similar cultures - both culturally Catholic, both have a passion for living, love food, partying, family-orientated, sunny Mediterranean climates. In what areas do the people/cultures of the two nations differ? Are they very similar? Is there anything that stands out that separates them? Food, history etc is obviously one, but what about the social aspects?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 06:28 AM

337 posts, read 929,829 times
I'm no kind of expert, so I'm just sharing my impressions here...despite the many commonalities of the 2 countries, there does seem to be a fundamental difference in approach to life, which I would define as rigidity versus looseness. For instance, it's very easy to tell apart a crowd of Spaniards and a crowd of Italians: the Spaniards tend to move more quietly in a rather disciplined and orderly fashion; the Italians are more relaxed, talkative, and less "military," for lack of a better word.

Culturally, you can see this expression in the films of Bunuel versus the films of Fellini, in the gloomy intensity of Spanish painting as opposed to the brighter and softer Italian painting, in the strong rhythmic basis of Spanish music versus the more melodic Italian kind...

Historically, one has to contend with the fact that Spain was ruled by North African Muslims for a very long time. Italy never had to deal with anything like that, but historically is more defined by its disunity, i.e. the many centuries when it was divided into city-states, often mutually antagonistic. Maybe the "rigid" nature of Spanish culture has its roots in the Reconquista and subsequent imperialism, and the militarization of Spain that went along with that.

Anyway - such are my impressions, take 'em for what they're worth.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:51 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
The sound of Italian language (it's worse when sung) gets fast on my nerves - and besides I find pure Spanish (when not tainted by local colloquialisms) a superb language -and, cherry on the cake, useful in half the world-, so for me, the choice is pretty easy!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:41 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
I took a class about the History of Spain from the time of Iberocelts (before Roman conquest) to now my senior year of college, and our text had extensive coverage of modern, post-Franco Spanish culture. Many times in the book cultural similarities were established between various facets of modern Spain and the same aspects of Southern (but not Northern) Italy. I believe even Greece was mentioned once.

I remember, too, showing my friend from Bologna (in northern Italy) a picture I took of a street scene in Granada, and her saying that it could just as well be in southern Italy.

The languages are indeed very similar. Spanish-speakers do not have much trouble learning Italian, but on the other hand I've heard that French is on par with English in difficulty for them.

I would also point out that (from what I've read and heard), there are significant differences between Southern and Northern Italy, the latter having been industrialized earlier and hence wealthier. From my travels in Spain and subsequent reading, I know that there are significant regional differences too in Spain, between Catalonia and Andalusia, for example.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 7 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
One main difference is that Spain colonized plenty of places in the past that were still influenced by Spain well into Modern times such as most countries in South America/Central America/Caribbean.

Italy colonized many less places in the past and virtually none of those places are still influenced by it into modern times.

Because of this, there are many more subgroups for Spanish culture (Such as Spain Spanish, Argentina Spanish, Mexico Spanish, Columbia Spanish, Dominican Republic Spanish, Cuba Spanish, Costa Rica Spanish, 10+ other examples etc.) than the subgroups that exist for Italian culture (Italy Italian, Italian immigrants to USA/Canada/Australia Italian).

Also, another main difference is the original foods from Italy and Spain. Original Italian cuisine seems very different from Spain Spanish cuisine.

The music seems sort of different from each other.

Italian and Spanish people both seem generally extroverted, but Spanish people seem even more extroverted and Italians slightly more introverted.

Last edited by ; 01-08-2012 at 08:10 AM..

Old 01-08-2012, 11:38 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
One main difference is that Spain colonized plenty of places in the past that were still influenced by Spain well into Modern times such as most countries in South America/Central America/Caribbean.

Italy colonized many less places in the past and virtually none of those places are still influenced by it into modern times.

Because of this, there are many more subgroups for Spanish culture (Such as Spain Spanish, Argentina Spanish, Mexico Spanish, Columbia Spanish, Dominican Republic Spanish, Cuba Spanish, Costa Rica Spanish, 10+ other examples etc.) than the subgroups that exist for Italian culture (Italy Italian, Italian immigrants to USA/Canada/Australia Italian).

Also, another main difference is the original foods from Italy and Spain. Original Italian cuisine seems very different from Spain Spanish cuisine.

The music seems sort of different from each other.

Italian and Spanish people both seem generally extroverted, but Spanish people seem even more extroverted and Italians slightly more introverted.
Italian cuisine is quite like Spanish cuisine, or so the El Pais (Spanish newspaper) travel guide says. Interestingly, that is one of the main ways that Italy influenced its former territories. Somali cuisine prominently features pasta, for example.

In terms of popular music, many Italian singers and bands - from Franco Battiato to Laura Pausini, Nek to Eros Ramazzotti - have translated their songs from Italian to Spanish (not difficult to do) and enjoy widespread fame not only in Spain but also Latin America.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:12 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Italian cuisine is quite like Spanish cuisine, or so the El Pais (Spanish newspaper) travel guide says. Interestingly, that is one of the main ways that Italy influenced its former territories. Somali cuisine prominently features pasta, for example.

In terms of popular music, many Italian singers and bands - from Franco Battiato to Laura Pausini, Nek to Eros Ramazzotti - have translated their songs from Italian to Spanish (not difficult to do) and enjoy widespread fame not only in Spain but also Latin America.
How is Spanish food like Italian? They seem really different to me.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:52 AM

99 posts, read 254,416 times
Here's a thought - is Italy more like Spain or like Greece?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsius View Post
Here's a thought - is Italy more like Spain or like Greece?
Italy is actually richer than Spain, despite this the boot-shaped country doesn't have good infrastructures as Spain's ones, and italian cities tend to be more neglected and shabby than spanish ones, even though the latter are supposed to be less wealty.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:46 AM

337 posts, read 929,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
italian cities tend to be more neglected and shabby than spanish ones, even though the latter are supposed to be less wealty.
That's one thing which struck me when visiting and comparing the two countries. Spain comes across as a bit more orderly and evenly developed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe