Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 07:51 AM

103 posts, read 92,344 times

Advertisements

PS: Not here to offend anyone, I am only asking out of curiosity.

I noticed that many things in American are highly commercialize or their purpose it to make money. I was talking with a friend and he told me that in America soccer and other sports are simply seen as "money making machines." Hence you have people wanting to make it family friend or even say soccer is a "girly sport."

Meanwhile, I watched this YouTube video where two American college girls who went to a soccer game and assume it was going to be a family event. Instead, they were greeted by soccer hooligans who were shouting at each other and climbing on cars. It seems the fans were way more passionate and it was not "family event" nor a "highly commercialized" event where to sell merchandize.

The American college girls told the interviewer, "Well it wasn't what we expected. We might be skipping the next matches" I just laughed since it seems that they were there to take "selfies'. While to the European fans it meant the world to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 09:05 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,020,583 times
It probably various from country to country. Greek, Turkish and English fans are the worst...can't imagine the same from the likes of Luxembourg, Finland, Austria, Estonia and so on.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:15 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
I seem to remember some pretty hard core partying after some American sports events, climbing on cars included. Every nation has some devoted fans.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fiot...hrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.syracuse.com/.com/us-new...l_victory.html

Old 07-12-2021, 09:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Lordy, I lived in Germany when Germany won the World Cup in soccer. I have literally never seen anything like it outside of Mardi Gras! And the celebrating went on for about three days and three nights!

I'm a Saints fan and even I didn't act that crazy after the Saints won the Super Bowl!

Old 07-12-2021, 12:44 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Because Americans already have a religion, it's called two-party politics.

Old 07-12-2021, 12:45 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,128,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernell111 View Post

I noticed that many things in American are highly commercialize or their purpose it to make money. I was talking with a friend and he told me that in America soccer and other sports are simply seen as "money making machines." Hence you have people wanting to make it family friend or even say soccer is a "girly sport."

Meanwhile, I watched this YouTube video where two American college girls who went to a soccer game and assume it was going to be a family event. Instead, they were greeted by soccer hooligans who were shouting at each other and climbing on cars. It seems the fans were way more passionate and it was not "family event" nor a "highly commercialized" event where to sell merchandize.

The American college girls told the interviewer, "Well it wasn't what we expected. We might be skipping the next matches" I just laughed since it seems that they were there to take "selfies'. While to the European fans it meant the world to them.

Both "Europe" (EU + UK) and "America" (USA) have professional sports teams that have players with big salaries, expensive stadiums, etc.

Both "Europe" and "America" have some fans of those sports who go crazy for their teams.

Not that different, although the US has college (university) football, which Europe lacks.

Old 07-12-2021, 02:54 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:

Modern football stadiums are well policed, and there are also stewards and security every where and CCTV cameras scan crowds.

The days of blatant hooliganism stopped when new legislation was put in place that saw the introduction of football banning orders, passport confiscation, having to sign on at a local police station at kick off time, and ankle tags etc.

This was coupled with far harsher prison sentences.

The police also set up a National Football Intelligence Unit, and had photos of all known hooligans, with police spotters and CCTV scanning crowds.

In terms of a passion, there is a lot of passion in relation to your city or areas team, and team loyalties are often passed down from father to so, although I think deep passion is a better description than religion.

As for being a family event, some clubs have family areas, and there are also more expensive seats and areas which usually include restaurants and private boxes.

In terms of shouting you are always going to get shouting and noise at such events, and certain derby games do tend to bring out the worst in some fans.

Although you are unlikely to see violence at a football match, and any anti-social behaviour is generally dealt with quite swiftly, and opposing fans are kept well away from each other.

Here's Everton's new ground.

Bramley-Moore Dock: Everton cleared to build new £500m stadium - BBC News (March 2021)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHnPtZGeBfA

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-12-2021 at 03:06 PM..

Old 07-12-2021, 11:09 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
I've been to a lot of sporting events, and nothing will top the passion I saw at a random Benfica match in Lisbon.

Except maybe when I was in Amsterdam and Chelsea was playing in the Europa Final, holy cow was that crazy

Old 07-13-2021, 03:15 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:

sports teams in america are a lot more detached from the fans , the idea that Manchester United could move to London is unthinkable in the UK yet that happens all of the time in the USA with football teams etc , there is no localism

supporting a sports team in America is not much different than being a big fan of Star Wars or the Avengers series

obviously money has made the british game less connected to the grassroots but its still a lot less of a corporate driven culture than in America , we saw that a year ago or so with the backlash against Glazers

Old 07-13-2021, 03:21 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I've been to a lot of sporting events, and nothing will top the passion I saw at a random Benfica match in Lisbon.

Except maybe when I was in Amsterdam and Chelsea was playing in the Europa Final, holy cow was that crazy
I can go one better , I was at a match in Bueonos Aires between River plate and Boca juniors back in 2004 , the atmosphere was sizzling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe