Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 09:02 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times

Advertisements

I will be going to the Christmas markets this year. The tour includes Oberammergau, Munich, Innsbruck, Black Forest Clock Tour, Nuremberg, Wurzburg, and Strasbourg Franconia region.

This is my first time in Germany and I don't really know the ins and outs as do in other places. Is one Christmas Market better than another? Prices? Things to see and do. Can you buy the stuff at one market cheaper than in another? Anything to be watchful for or to avoid?

Thanks in advance. If you have any advice I am all ears even if I have not asked about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 09:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
The Christmas markets in Germany are terrific. They are also much the same regardless of where you go in a region, though of course some are larger than others. What I mean is that you will run across very similar foods, drinks, and items for sale in the area you will be traveling through - though you may definitely see some regional differences between Strasbourg and Nurnberg.

I've been to many of these markets over the years and never experienced any problems or negative events. Be sure you have the potato pancakes with applesauce and the gleuwein! I hope for your sake it snows while you're there. There's nothing quite like standing at an outdoor stall at a Kristkindlmarkt in a town square, sipping gleuwein as snow flurries around you! It's beautiful and really like a fairy tale.

The Christmas market in Nurnberg is the best one in my opinion.

Are you going on some sort of guided tour? The reason why I ask is that unless you are really, really, really into all things Christmas, if you've got limited time, you may want to hit just one or two of those Christmas markets and spend the rest of your time exploring other things of interest in those areas. How long will you be in Germany?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:52 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I will be going to the Christmas markets this year. The tour includes Oberammergau, Munich, Innsbruck, Black Forest Clock Tour, Nuremberg, Wurzburg, and Strasbourg Franconia region.

This is my first time in Germany and I don't really know the ins and outs as do in other places. Is one Christmas Market better than another? Prices? Things to see and do. Can you buy the stuff at one market cheaper than in another? Anything to be watchful for or to avoid?

Thanks in advance. If you have any advice I am all ears even if I have not asked about it.

Imo, Germany has the BEST Christmas markets. They seemed to put in the most effort into it. Very nice Christmas markets and very unique. Austria got nice ones, too. I also heard Prague is nice.

Things to see and do? At the Christmas markets? Well, kinda obvious, isn't it? And why would you want to compare prices? Going on a 1,000 Dollar shopping spree? I don't understand this question.

Just go there and walk up and down. Try "Gluehwein" and whatever else they sell. The clocks are expensive. Several hundred Dollars is probably an average price.

The 10 Best Christmas Markets in Europe

Check out the "look for"

Best Christmas Markets in Europe- Slide 5 - Slideshows | Travel + Leisure
Best Christmas Markets in Europe- Slide 6 - Slideshows | Travel + Leisure
Best Christmas Markets in Europe- Slide 7 - Slideshows | Travel + Leisure
Best Christmas Markets in Europe- Slide 10 - Slideshows | Travel + Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Is one Christmas Market better than another?
Well, mostly there's more than one in each city. I usually go to the biggest one they have.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:21 PM

985 posts, read 1,853,727 times
I find it very difficult talking about Christmas markets in July. We had 34°C or 94° F today...

Christmas markets are not really there to go buy things but to look at things, smell food, eat and drink something, just to get a good wintry and Christmassy feeling. Of course the stalls are set up to sell things, but for me the atmopsphere counts more than buying things. You can buy presents there, often things made of wood, clay, glass, leather, but I would not really move from town to town just to find something to buy or even get something cheaper. After all, Christmas markets are quite similar. Food can vary regionally. Strasbourg's market is a bit frenchified as expected.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:41 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
[quote=Glorious;25352635]Imo, Germany has the BEST Christmas markets. They seemed to put in the most effort into it. Very nice Christmas markets and very unique. Austria got nice ones, too. I also heard Prague is nice.

Things to see and do? At the Christmas markets? Well, kinda obvious, isn't it? And why would you want to compare prices? Going on a 1,000 Dollar shopping spree? I don't understand this question.

Here in our area many places sell the same things and some are priced better than others. For example, I bought a Christmas ornament at a well known Christmas store while on vacation. A couple of days after purchase, I found the exact same ornament at half the cost. It was identical in every way right down to the tag.

Never having been to Germany, I have no concept of whether one market more known for say nativities while another Santas, while yet another snowman or are they all equally available. I do collect Nativities so I am especially interested in which market I should look to as the best place to buy it, or is one as good as another. As to the shopping spree, I may not hit a thousand dollars but I am going to be bringing home gifts for the entire family so I imagine it will get costly.

While it is a "Christmas market tour" there is a nice bit of free time in each location so that is why I am asking about things to do.

Just go there and walk up and down. Try "Gluhwein" and whatever else they sell.

The clocks are expensive. Several hundred Dollars is probably an average price. The last thing I am even thinking about buying is a bloody cuckoo clock but years ago my parents had one so it might be nice to see how they are made.

The 10 Best Christmas Markets in Europe

Check out the "look for"

Best Christmas Markets in Europe- Slide 5 - Slideshows | Travel + Leisure
Best Christmas Markets in Europe- Slide 6 - Slideshows | Travel + Leisure
Best Christmas Markets in Europe- Slide 7 - Slideshows | Travel + Leisure
Best Christmas Markets in Europe- Slide 10 - Slideshows | Travel + Leisure

Thanks these were very good to see.
Well, mostly there's more than one in each city. I usually go to the biggest one they have.[/quote

Old 07-27-2012, 08:21 AM

I agree with the poster who said that the Christmas markets aren't really for shopping much. I mean, you will probably find some nice trinkets, but they're mostly for the experience.

If I were you, I'd go to some local shops -OFF THE TOURIST TRAIL - for your gifts.

As for the "well known Christmas store," there are pros and cons to shopping there. Con is the ticket price. However, remember, they will take off the VAT and ship your goods AT NO COST (I think there's a price minimum to do that, but I can't remember - didn't seem like it was too bad), so you may break even - and it's really great not to have to lug all that stuff around, and then try to get it back home without breaking it.

Just a thought. We ended up buying nearly all our gifts at that store last year and it was great to have them all arrive at our house about a week after we returned, wrapped carefully and shipped to us. And it was well worth it considering we didn't have to carry it all around for two weeks!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:26 PM

292 posts, read 357,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
As for the "well known Christmas store," there are pros and cons to shopping there. Con is the ticket price. However, remember, they will take off the VAT and ship your goods AT NO COST (I think there's a price minimum to do that, but I can't remember - didn't seem like it was too bad), so you may break even - and it's really great not to have to lug all that stuff around, and then try to get it back home without breaking it.
I'm dying to know: what is the "well known Christmas store" and where is it? London? Germany? ???

Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastequila View Post
I'm dying to know: what is the "well known Christmas store" and where is it? London? Germany? ???
I believe it's the Kathe Wohlfahrt stores. There are several locations in Germany.

Käthe Wohlfahrt - Traditioneller deutscher Weihnachtsschmuck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe