Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 12:37 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,322 times

Advertisements

SomethingI have always wanted to know but couldnt find any literary work or photographs on and thats the reconstruction of Europe after WWII. Were the old towns original architecture restored and rebuilt? What was never rebuilt? Specifically in London and the Lower States, Germany and Poland. I see many photos from today and some of the old buildings look very new and clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
SomethingI have always wanted to know but couldnt find any literary work or photographs on and thats the reconstruction of Europe after WWII. Were the old towns original architecture restored and rebuilt? What was never rebuilt? Specifically in London and the Lower States, Germany and Poland. I see many photos from today and some of the old buildings look very new and clean.
Not my topic, but Coventry was destroyed and has been rebuilt. All new city.

The Blitz - Local history and archives - Coventry City Council

Old 10-26-2012, 12:48 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
In Germany it depends on the city...there was also the question to what historic era to restore back to.

In some places the reconsstruction was with modernist buildings fitting the old street pattern. (the Zeil in Frankfurt is a good example) In others there are was a slight rationalization of the street pattern as part of the reconstructions (as in Hannover)

In yet others there was reconstruction of historic buildings mixed with new construction in the somewhat same massing of the older buildings (including peaked or hip roofs), but following a somewhat modernist style (as in Nurnburg).

Old 10-26-2012, 12:52 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,322 times
Ok thanks for the responses so far. I was under the impression that nothing survived the War and everything was basically rebuilt

Old 10-26-2012, 12:52 PM

More on the German "wiederaufbau"

Out of the Ashes: A New Look at Germanys Postwar Reconstruction

Old 10-26-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks for the responses so far. I was under the impression that nothing survived the War and everything was basically rebuilt
Things did survive to various degrees, sometimes intact, often as ruins and also being totally destroyed. The central parts of some of the mostly heavily bombed cities were pretty much gone with a few isolated ruins. Things built of half-timber rarely survived, stone buildings (typically churches and cathederals) survived (if they survived) as ruins.

What is interesting is that the Germans must have did a good job of documentation prior to the war to be able to rebuild the more historic things the way they did.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
No idea about anywhere outside the UK, but I've read that 1/3 of London was destroyed. Many historic buildings were damaged, but I don't think any important historic building was destroyed. (?)

Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 PM

317 posts, read 412,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Not my topic, but Coventry was destroyed and has been rebuilt. All new city.

The Blitz - Local history and archives - Coventry City Council
And some of those cities should be flattened again and rebuilt. Like Coventry and Rotterdam.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
And some of those cities should be flattened again and rebuilt. Like Coventry and Rotterdam.
I've only driven through Coventry and it struck me as completely lacking in character or charm.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:04 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
In a lot of Polish cities the old towns were rebuilt (often as late as the 1990s) in their pre-war state. Walking through the centre of Warsaw I remember marvelling at the beautiful Baroque-era architecture until I noticed some of the dates on the outsides of the buildings said something like 1994, which spoiled the fantasy somewhat...in an archway leading into one of the most beautiful parts of the centre of Gdansk too there is a picture of what the same view was like in 1945 (i.e. almost completely destroyed) so you can't help but notice how immaculately it was rebuilt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe