Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Just thinking of a potential trip...it would essentially be Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Lithuiania, Latvia, and Poland.

Granted Norway isn't around the Baltic, but would be a good opportunity to include it nontheless.

I was thinking each capital city...but would I be missing out on something good if that were the main focus. Basically would like to get a feel for each place just a bit, and keep moving.

Was thinking about two weeks or 2 1/2 weeks. Or is that just inconceivable and too short on time? (Not sure I'd have much more time than that).

What would you recommend? Which cities, which ones to linger in, which ones to move through a bit faster??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 05:04 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,325,120 times
Don´t forget St. Petersburg.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:04 AM

255 posts, read 927,084 times
Linger in Tallinn, for sure. I'd say there's a lot to offer in Lithuania, Denmark, Sweden and Estonia. Latvia and Poland are kind of undeveloped compared to its neighbors. Finland is a nice county, but not one I could even find anything for an international traveler to go to.

Hopefully someone else here on the forum knows a lot, but I've only been to Denmark and heard things about the others. I need to see outside Italy more often.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Don´t forget St. Petersburg.
I've heard wonderful things about St. Petersburg....but having been to Vladivostok before, I still remember how annoying the entire paperwork and visa process was to get there. So, it's off the list, and if it was on the list, I could see it taking up more disproportional time comparitively to the others (just because of the visa work, etc.) Thanks otherwise though!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
Linger in Tallinn, for sure. I'd say there's a lot to offer in Lithuania, Denmark, Sweden and Estonia. Latvia and Poland are kind of undeveloped compared to its neighbors. Finland is a nice county, but not one I could even find anything for an international traveler to go to.

Hopefully someone else here on the forum knows a lot, but I've only been to Denmark and heard things about the others. I need to see outside Italy more often.
That's good advice! Poland is a huge country! Probably best to just hit one city only in Poland, and spend more time in each of the other countries, more proportionally.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:54 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
I'd say locations you have to visit are: Hamburg, Lübeck, Riga, Tallinn, Helsinki, Stockholm, Copenhagen.

Hamburg is a large city with a much to do, so you'll probably want to spend some time there. Lübeck is a brilliant Hansa-era city just some 40-50 km from Hamburg, and seen in a day.

Riga is a place worth visiting, founded in 1201 and has a nice and beautiful historical downtown. A bit run down perhaps in places, but still a city that you can do anything in. Still, if lacking enough time, this would perhaps be the first city to skip in my opinion.

Tallinn and Helsinki are must-visit places, as you'll get them both at the same time. The ferry across the Gulf of Finland takes 1.5 hours and costs 30-40€.

Tallinn is also a medieval Hansa-city with one of the best historical downtowns I ever seen.
Helsinki, originally founded as a rival to Tallinn is just 80km north, is little like a mini-St.Petersburg with wide avenues (at that time) and mostly 19th century architecture. Remember to visit the Suomenlinna fortress outside the city, 'The Gibraltar of the North', built in 1748.

If you want to travel by boat, take the cruise ship from Helsinki to Stockholm, usually quite affordable and you get a 'hotel room' for the night at the same time. Surely an experience sailing on a trashy floating night club.

Stockholm is definitely a place to visit. A large city with an impressing history, a new and old metropolis (well on Northern European standards) at the same time.

If you have time, take Copenhagen as your final destination, or save it for later. I know for sure you won't say "Urgh, terrible, I'll never visit those places again".

Surely the Saaremaa Island in Estonia, The Archipelago Sea in Finland and the Gotland Island in Sweden are very nice and beautiful rural summer destinations, but I seriously doubt that you'll have time.
St. Petersburg is a must-see location as well, but you need a visa and I would save it for later and stay a bit longer. Easy to reach from Helsinki with train in 3.5 hours, though.

Hope this helped a bit!

Last edited by Ariete; 01-14-2013 at 06:02 AM..

Old 01-14-2013, 07:00 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Was thinking about two weeks or 2 1/2 weeks.
Personally, I wouldn't go to that many countries in such a short time. You'd spend 1.5 days in each capital. Considering that the ferry from Finland to Sweden takes 10h+, depending from where you are leaving, you'd definitely be constantly in a hurry.

What I'd do:

Copenhagen (3days) => Hamburg (3 days) => Berlin (3 days) => Warsaw (3 days) => Gdansk (2 days) => Wizz Air to Turku, Finland (maybe 3 days, if you include side trips to the countryside/archipelago) => Helsinki (2-3 days) => side trip to Tallinn (1-2 days)

If you have some additional time, go to Tartu, Estonia.

Note: Wizz Air flights from Poland to Finland are only available in summer.

edit: Yeah, St. Petersburg is definitely worth a trip. Find out about those special Visas for 72h when going by ferry from Helsinki.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:19 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,215,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I'd say locations you have to visit are: Hamburg, Lübeck, Riga, Tallinn, Helsinki, Stockholm, Copenhagen.

If you want to travel by boat, take the cruise ship from Helsinki to Stockholm, usually quite affordable and you get a 'hotel room' for the night at the same time. Surely an experience sailing on a trashy floating night club.
Yep but I would say that better to take train from Helsinki to Turku and from there with ferry to Stocholm.
After all, archipelago on western Finland is something that you can not found similar from this planet and ferries dont go to off-shore as ferries from Helsinki to Stocholm.
From Turku to Stockholm is two departure times per day with two ferry companies + Finnlink ferry from Naantali(Very near of Turku)

Here is some pictures from that beutiful archipelago

Tallink Silja Line M/S Silja Europa, Turku - Tukholma - Turku, August 2011 - YouTube

Now Viking line got new ferry, "Viking Grace", between Turku-Stocholm and with very new concept.
This ferry have even "Snow cave" and tables on disco are bolted to the floor so that it is possible to dance on tables

Viking Grace - Finishing touches - YouTube

Old 01-15-2013, 04:36 PM

255 posts, read 927,084 times
Emphasis on this - Estonia is the best location there is to offer in Northern Europe / Nordics AND of the Baltics.

It has a stunning medieval downtown, a flawless summer resort city, an amazing infrastructure that is amazingly technologically perfected (aka wifi is covered in the country and it's free.), the cities culture is an infusion of Denmark and Sweden with its own charm. They have such a sad history and turned into something so great.

I make a big emphasis on visiting the castles of Lithuania, also. The cities and towns in Finland are an amazing stop in the area. Finland has some amazing archipelago that you will adore, as well.

You will love your trip.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 PM

677 posts, read 851,736 times
My input for travelling to Latvia: Riga has a charming old town (UNESCO World Heritage site), beautiful art nouveau districts in the city center, and cultural attractions. But Riga for me isn't Latvia and Latvia isn't Riga. With some research, you can find accommodations in the countryside catering to the ecological and organic minded tourist. (Latvia is ranked the 2nd greenest country in the world). My wife and I stayed at several guest houses that were a part of working farms, where you get fresh, healthy meals, inexpensive (and excellent) spa/sauna treatments. You are truly feeling rejuvenated after a short stay there. We found the proprietors to be quite hospitable, so when the chance arises again, we will most definitely want to go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe