Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2017, 02:26 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.CA View Post
I like Romania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 05:02 PM

245 posts, read 311,447 times
So basically some people will always see eastern Europe as "all those 'Slav' people and random other people mixed in with them." I guess it makes a nice cut-and-dry worldview....

Old 02-21-2017, 12:30 PM

41 posts, read 35,494 times
Ruth, thanks for your warm welcome!

Also, thanks for the information about this Professor Borcila; no, I wasn't aware. I studied the language/literature under Professor Harsanyi, who was a visiting professor at Ann Arbor from Universitatia Timisoara, in 1990... just imagine, my good fortune on the timing! I was thrilled, for I not only had a patient, considerate, intellectual professor of Romanian language and literature, but a witness to the pivotal events of the overthrow of communism in Romania!

You don't mention your country of origin. I realize you were born in the States, but your ethnicity?

Thanks again for the salutations!

Old 02-22-2017, 01:29 PM

erasure you are correct in your last post here.

I would add that the concept of this Western/Eastern orientation from the perspective of these countries/peoples themselves, has a multi-faceted root:
For instance, religiously, Roman Catholic and Protestant countries( or areas of) are traditionally considered Western within the region, while Orthodox Church dominated, Eastern. A great case in point, would be the Transylvanian region of Romania, which is more the former, denominationally speaking, as opposed to what was once known as Walachia (south of the Transylvanian Alps, region of Bucharest), Dobroja(on the coast of the Black Sea & south of the Danube's delta), and Molodova (the Romanian side, west of the Prut, not the independent country formerly known as Moldavia), all much more Orthodox Christian.
I had an old jewish professor at Michigan (I mention his religious-ethnic background because it is relevant here that he wasn't bias to one Christian denomination over another) who traveled the region extensively and said one could visibly notice starting with architectural style of churches, etc., a clear division, culturally speaking, between the aforementioned within Romania. And he characterized that divide as "West" and "East".
Continuing the point with the same case, but different facet, the same can be said from a historical perspective. The above Orthodox regions of Romania were all under Ottoman control for centuries. At brief times, Russian too. Eastern influence, thusly, abounds! At the same time, Transylvania was under the Catholic Hapsburg or Austrian Empire, decidedly Western. Again, names of locations, streets, institutions of learning, etc., as well as architecture, technology and culture, generally, are all factors impacted heavily by historical geo-political orientation.
So, to not go on and on, or belabor the point, let me just conclude here by saying that the East/West split cannot (really) even be made between the countries of the region because often it occurs within the countries of the region - as my brief example above, hopefully, exposes.
Ruth? Has anyone seen Ruth4Truth?

Old 02-22-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoca View Post
Ruth, thanks for your warm welcome!

Also, thanks for the information about this Professor Borcila; no, I wasn't aware. I studied the language/literature under Professor Harsanyi, who was a visiting professor at Ann Arbor from Universitatia Timisoara, in 1990... just imagine, my good fortune on the timing! I was thrilled, for I not only had a patient, considerate, intellectual professor of Romanian language and literature, but a witness to the pivotal events of the overthrow of communism in Romania!

You don't mention your country of origin. I realize you were born in the States, but your ethnicity?

Thanks again for the salutations!
Yes, Borcila witnessed the events, too, and has taught courses on how television coverage of the events both in Romania and in the West formed public opinion, established certain stereotypes in the West, and deliberately created illusions among the Romanian public of what was really going on. Fascinating stuff!

Old 02-22-2017, 07:31 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
erasure you are correct in your last post here.

I would add that the concept of this Western/Eastern orientation from the perspective of these countries/peoples themselves, has a multi-faceted root:
For instance, religiously, Roman Catholic and Protestant countries( or areas of) are traditionally considered Western within the region, while Orthodox Church dominated, Eastern. A great case in point, would be the Transylvanian region of Romania, which is more the former, denominationally speaking, as opposed to what was once known as Walachia (south of the Transylvanian Alps, region of Bucharest), Dobroja(on the coast of the Black Sea & south of the Danube's delta), and Molodova (the Romanian side, west of the Prut, not the independent country formerly known as Moldavia), all much more Orthodox Christian.
I had an old jewish professor at Michigan (I mention his religious-ethnic background because it is relevant here that he wasn't bias to one Christian denomination over another) who traveled the region extensively and said one could visibly notice starting with architectural style of churches, etc., a clear division, culturally speaking, between the aforementioned within Romania. And he characterized that divide as "West" and "East".
Continuing the point with the same case, but different facet, the same can be said from a historical perspective. The above Orthodox regions of Romania were all under Ottoman control for centuries. At brief times, Russian too. Eastern influence, thusly, abounds! At the same time, Transylvania was under the Catholic Hapsburg or Austrian Empire, decidedly Western. Again, names of locations, streets, institutions of learning, etc., as well as architecture, technology and culture, generally, are all factors impacted heavily by historical geo-political orientation.
So, to not go on and on, or belabor the point, let me just conclude here by saying that the East/West split cannot (really) even be made between the countries of the region because often it occurs within the countries of the region - as my brief example above, hopefully, exposes.
Ruth? Has anyone seen Ruth4Truth?
To me it's not so much that Eastern European countries got divided, being submitted under different major powers ( Ukraine is a good example of it - the Eastern part of it is the Russian Empire over and over again, with such typically Russian cities as Odessa, Donetsk or Kharkov, ) while Lvov is downright Polish city ( the whole Western part already doesn't have the Russian "feel" to it at all.)
And I'm sure it must be a case with Romania - the division within the country, the way you describe it.
However that was not my point - my point was that practically ALL Eastern Europe was overtaken by some other major powers - be that Germany or Osmans or Russia. And that's what sets "Eastern" European countries apart from the "Western" ones.
And this of course goes further back than just the "Cold War."

Old 02-23-2017, 08:48 AM

Yes, agreed erasure. And that's also what creates that cultural divide, if you will, within countries, our two examples above. Remember, religion is part of the mix factors as well.

Miss Ruth, thanks for that additional, her research does indeed seem to be fascinating. Wish I was able to go there again and take her class. How is it that you know so much about her and what her research focus is?

Old 02-23-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, agreed erasure. And that's also what creates that cultural divide, if you will, within countries, our two examples above. Remember, religion is part of the mix factors as well.

Miss Ruth, thanks for that additional, her research does indeed seem to be fascinating. Wish I was able to go there again and take her class. How is it that you know so much about her and what her research focus is?
She's the daughter of my Romanian professor from way back, who was in the US on one of those Fulbright visiting-professor programs. I knew her when she was a kid, and have followed her career. Her sister teaches in Florida.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:25 PM

Wow... that's neat, Ruth. Have you ever been up to Ann Arbor, Michigan?

By the way, have you checked out the proposal for a "Boston Stroll" I left you at that thread?

Lol... I'm just flirting, don't get upset.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:14 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Wow... that's neat, Ruth. Have you ever been up to Ann Arbor, Michigan?

By the way, have you checked out the proposal for a "Boston Stroll" I left you at that thread?

Lol... I'm just flirting, don't get upset.
She could be your mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe