Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City you would choose?
Paris 92 40.00%
Rome 73 31.74%
London 65 28.26%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 12:10 PM

969 posts, read 825,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Not really the art scene is already moving on to clapton and peckham.. London areas change very quickly...

By sheer tourist traffic London wins hands down, so despite all of the London bashing in this thread, London appears to be the must see city going on current global opinion..
I'm not sure how this disagrees with my comment, but generally yes.

Already commented upon in many other threads, the current pace of change in London is startling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 01:14 PM

861 posts, read 852,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
I'm not sure how this disagrees with my comment, but generally yes.

Already commented upon in many other threads, the current pace of change in London is startling.

Your post seemed to imply the art scene had declined or gone, I just wanted to point out it had just moved thats all..

Yes the pace is startling, but as I am getting older I am not so sure it is all such a good thing. With average house prices at 500,000 pounds and average rent at 1,650 pounds per month the city may be a victim of its own success cost wise..

Old 05-11-2016, 04:15 PM

969 posts, read 825,902 times
Quote:
Your post seemed to imply the art scene had declined or gone, I just wanted to point out it had just moved thats all.
All that it implied was that Shoreditch was being gentrified.

I appreciate it can be tough, but cost of living is inevitably tied to the desirability and standing of a city. I don't think it's plausible to think that London should somehow be an exception to this basic rule.

Last edited by CTDominion; 05-11-2016 at 05:07 PM..

Old 05-12-2016, 01:40 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indira89 View Post
LONDON has been taken over by hordes of bourgeois, and pseudo-intellectual snobs while the characteristic cockney londoners have been kicked out of their city for the most.....

Look at the Art in london.... it has gone from urban steaming from working class struggle, to snobby posh born out of middle class pseudo-artists.

London feels too gentrified, too movie set in many ways. It certainly lacks that organic feeling that cities in the North of england have for example (newcastle comes to mind). Rome also feels very authentic, very organic. But London is sterile, washed up, too middle class American in a way.

MIDDLE CLASS WHITE AMERICA : where culture goes to die! And London frighteningly resembles that.

This is rubbish, London has MANY neighbourhoods and each of them as different as any city! you will have to find something that rings true before we can take your 'sterile' comment seriously, as for your 'washed up' comment in what way is London 'washed up' exactly? I ask again what is it that London 'lacks' that any other city has?

Old 05-12-2016, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
You seem so outraged whenever anyone questions London's appeal. I personally love it but I've also met people who don't share my enthusiasm, often using reasons similar to the ones raised by indira89.

So what? People differ in their perceptions; get over it.
Not at all, I simply want to know what it is people like Indira thinks it lacks? I believe Indira simply has a chip on their shoulder, its easy to say 'London is rubbish' but the reality is currently its just about the worlds greatest city, so I simply wonder what it is about the place that Indira finds 'lacking'? Its easy to list why it is London is one of the very best cities but every city in the world must have 'flaws' so let me ask you also, what is it that London 'lacks' compared to Rome or Paris or any other city in the world?

Old 05-12-2016, 02:29 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Not at all, I simply want to know what it is people like Indira thinks it lacks? I believe Indira simply has a chip on their shoulder, its easy to say 'London is rubbish' but the reality is currently its just about the worlds greatest city, so I simply wonder what it is about the place that Indira finds 'lacking'? Its easy to list why it is London is one of the very best cities but every city in the world must have 'flaws' so let me ask you also, what is it that London 'lacks' compared to Rome or Paris or any other city in the world?
While Irene is always talking bs, some people just don't like London, and consider it far, far away from the list of best cities in the world, get over it.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
While Irene is always talking bs, some people just don't like London, and consider it far, far away from the list of best cities in the world, get over it.
Fair enough but I simply asking WHY!? If somebody finds London 'far, far' from the list of the worlds best cities I would like to know what it 'lacks' exactly? Especially if its 'far, far' from the best, surely this means there is much wrong with it no? If somebody fails to come up with a valid reason then I can't see that what they are saying is out of anything other than 'spite', if somebody doesn't give a reason for their 'dislike' then it makes their point rather erm.....pointless I suppose. For example I think Moscow seems like a nice city but it would be too cold for me in the Winter - see a reason why perhaps it wouldn't be the city for me (I've never been to Moscow so I am not really well positioned to comment on the city). Now I want to know what Paris or Rome has that London lacks, that's all!?

Old 05-12-2016, 07:21 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Fair enough but I simply asking WHY!? If somebody finds London 'far, far' from the list of the worlds best cities I would like to know what it 'lacks' exactly? Especially if its 'far, far' from the best, surely this means there is much wrong with it no? If somebody fails to come up with a valid reason then I can't see that what they are saying is out of anything other than 'spite', if somebody doesn't give a reason for their 'dislike' then it makes their point rather erm.....pointless I suppose. For example I think Moscow seems like a nice city but it would be too cold for me in the Winter - see a reason why perhaps it wouldn't be the city for me (I've never been to Moscow so I am not really well positioned to comment on the city). Now I want to know what Paris or Rome has that London lacks, that's all!?
As far as I recall, Irene (Morga, Indira etc) spent about 5 days in London on business. Her colleagues took her to a few posh cocktail bars and I think she went to Brixton(?) for a few hours. That's the extent of her experience in London, pay it no mind. The way she comes across on here, I can only think, she didn't have a wonderful time here because everybody was immune to her charms.

It's okay for someone to diss London, it's not a perfect city, but when the reasons are somewhat dubious (sterile? annoying? really?!), it surely reflects their own personality and not the city itself. Same with anywhere.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:31 AM

861 posts, read 852,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
All that it implied was that Shoreditch was being gentrified.

I appreciate it can be tough, but cost of living is inevitably tied to the desirability and standing of a city. I don't think it's plausible to think that London should somehow be an exception to this basic rule.
I think sadly instead of being the New York of Europe (Open to all), London will become a Dubai of Europe. A rich man's playground, with either very wealthy residents or poor ones servicing that wealthy client class..

Old 05-13-2016, 06:45 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,183 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
I think sadly instead of being the New York of Europe (Open to all), London will become a Dubai of Europe. A rich man's playground, with either very wealthy residents or poor ones servicing that wealthy client class..
It should be noted that the recent election of a new London Mayor with very different housing policies which includes reent controls, the building of much more affordable housing schemes may well help the poorer section of society in London in terms of housing, whilst a four year freeze in Transport for London (Tfl) fares is also promised. Coupled with this the UK has a more comprehensive welfare system than the US and free healthcare in the form of the NHS. Whilst there is also a Minimum Wage and Living Wage scheme.

What is the*Living Wage? * Living Wage Foundation

The New Mayor is committed to:

Homes for Londoners

The New Mayor will set up a new team at City Hall dedicated to fast-tracking the building of genuinely affordable homes to rent and buy.

Putting Londoners first

The new Mayor will set a target for 50 per cent of all new homes in London to be genuinely affordable, and use mayoral powers and land to stop 'buy-to-leave' and to give 'first dibs' to first-time buyers and local tenants. He will end the scandal of thousands of homes in new developments being sold off-plan to overseas investors each year.

More investment in housing

The former Mayor has failed to invest £400 million of his affordable homes budget. The Mayor will use this and support housing associations in their plans to ensure a minimum of 80,000 new homes a year.

Land for homes

The new Mayor will bring forward more land owned by public bodies like TfL and use the Mayor's new homes team to develop that land. This will enable more homes to be built where they are needed, rather than where developers think they can make the most money.

London Living Rent

The new Mayor will create a new form of affordable housing, with rent based on a third of average local income, not market rates. A new form of tenure, more affordable, and giving you the chance to save for a deposit.

Action for private renters

The new Mayor will establish a London-wide not-for-profit lettings agency to promote longer-term, stable tenancies for responsible tenants and good landlords across London.

Action on Landlords

The new Mayor will work with boroughs to set up landlord licensing schemes – naming and shaming bad landlords and promoting good ones so you know what you’re getting yourself into.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-13-2016 at 07:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe