Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 01:33 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times

Advertisements

People often discuss what country is more interesting, which has the best quality of life - but what if you are not a European white?

I am sure race and the perception of it affects how people feel about cities/countries. For example, everyone exalts Switzerland - low taxes, high pay, rich culture, beautiful landscape, great healthcare and education, but the Swiss also have the reputation of being exceedingly arrogant - well, many don't necessarily show it, but deep down they think they are superior. This probably applies to Germany as well. The country is great, but if you are not white, you will never be really accepted as part of it.

I am aware there is some steoreotyping here, but non-white people repeatedly have such first-hand experience in these countries. The locals enjoy very high standard of living. You move there expecting to be happy there, only disappointed to find you are permanently excluded in their social circles and it is almost impossible to be treated like an equal or a true friend, no matter how much money you are able to make.

What countries in Europe are least racially conscious? Race will always play a part somewhat in our life, but to different extend in different countries. For example, in Greater New York, Coastal California, Greater Toronto area in North American, people don't think race is a big deal - for example for 40 people to work under an Chinese is completely normal and few people will feel uncomfortable about that. I am not sure it is the same in Munich or Zurich.

My guess would be that London will be more liberal minded and less race conscious. Paris and Milan for example will be less so. What about other countries/cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 01:46 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
People often discuss what country is more interesting, which has the best quality of life - but what if you are not a European white?

I am sure race and the perception of it affects how people feel about cities/countries. For example, everyone exalts Switzerland - low taxes, high pay, rich culture, beautiful landscape, great healthcare and education, but the Swiss also have the reputation of being exceedingly arrogant - well, many don't necessarily show it, but deep down they think they are superior. This probably applies to Germany as well. The country is great, but if you are not white, you will never be really accepted as part of it.

I am aware there is some steoreotyping here, but non-white people repeatedly have such first-hand experience in these countries. The locals enjoy very high standard of living. You move there expecting to be happy there, only disappointed to find you are permanently excluded in their social circles and it is almost impossible to be treated like an equal or a true friend, no matter how much money you are able to make.

What countries in Europe are least racially conscious? Race will always play a part somewhat in our life, but to different extend in different countries. For example, in Greater New York, Coastal California, Greater Toronto area in North American, people don't think race is a big deal - for example for 40 people to work under an Chinese is completely normal and few people will feel uncomfortable about that. I am not sure it is the same in Munich or Zurich.

My guess would be that London will be more liberal minded and less race conscious. Paris and Milan for example will be less so. What about other countries/cities?
Those two cities are the economic powerhouses of Germany and Switzerland. Lots of international companies have their headquarters there. I doubt that it would raise someone's eyebrow, when their boss would be Chinese...

In any case, as you already said yourself: Too much stereotyping. Europe is more diverse than you obviously seem to think.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:09 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,605,848 times
Paris is one of the most racially diverse city in Europe.
It is not the all white city that you see in movies, minorities are an integral part of the city life.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Paris is one of the most racially diverse city in Europe.
It is not the all white city that you see in movies, minorities are an integral part of the city life.
I am not questioning the diversity, but asking about how racially conscient people are, and if the white majority hold some sort of supremacy attitude explicitly or secretely, not necessarily discrimination, but a degree of a clear "us vs. them" distinction.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Those two cities are the economic powerhouses of Germany and Switzerland. Lots of international companies have their headquarters there. I doubt that it would raise someone's eyebrow, when their boss would be Chinese...

In any case, as you already said yourself: Too much stereotyping. Europe is more diverse than you obviously seem to think.
true, however, are there any cities as diverse as cities such as Los Angeles, Toronto, Vancouver or San Francisco?

Los Angeles has 49.8% white population, Toronto has 50.2%, SF: 48.1%, Vancouver: 46.2%.

Even London still has 59.8% white. I highly doubt Zurich and Munich is nearly as diverse.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
true, however, are there any cities as diverse as cities such as Los Angeles, Toronto, Vancouver or San Francisco?

Los Angeles has 49.8% white population, Toronto has 50.2%, SF: 48.1%, Vancouver: 46.2%.

Even London still has 59.8% white. I highly doubt Zurich and Munich is nearly as diverse.
Of course those two cities are not as diverse. But foreigners don't get treated like aliens just because they "only" have 25% non-Germans / 31% non-Swiss...

Old 02-03-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Of course those two cities are not as diverse. But foreigners don't get treated like aliens just because they "only" have 25% non-Germans / 31% non-Swiss...
It is easy to say.

I see you are from Vienna. Let me ask you this:

1) how many of your close friends are non-white (those you would invite to your/your kids' birthday party?

2) how many of your local councilors are non-white?

3) how many of your the anchor men/women on your major TV stations are non-white?

4) how many senior managers in your company are non-white?

your 25-31% only represents non-local. I was talking about non-White people with vastly different cultural background (Vietnam vs Italy instead of France vs Greece).

Old 02-03-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
your 25-31% only represents non-local. I was talking about non-White people with vastly different cultural background (Vietnam vs Italy instead of France vs Greece).
So, now you have to explain to me how a 3rd generation Asian-American or African-American is vastly different (culturally) from a white American. My Croatian/Bosnian/Hungarian neighbors are culturally more different than those...

Anyway: I don't know what you're trying to prove. Yes, the cities you listed are more diverse. They are the most diverse cities in the world. But as I said: diversity is not a concept unique to the US and foreigners don't get treated like some species from outer space either...

Old 02-03-2014, 03:37 PM

595 posts, read 719,525 times
Quote:

The 49,8% white population in Los Angeles are mainly americans, the same with the 50,2% and 48,1% in Canada. The 59,8% white population in London comes from everywhere in Europe, not all of them are British.
London has much more bigger french, spanish, italian, german, greek or ukranian communities than any American city, except New York.
The same goes with Paris or Munich.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:47 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,857 times
Hard to say in some countries & certain parts of Europe you can go for months or years at a time without seeing Asians & blacks & other minorities. It's not like the US where they are a part of your life eg work, going to the same school as your kids etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe