Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 05:27 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

We're talking about lutefisk in the Food section, how to make it, and if anyone likes it. But I wonder if anyone in Sweden makes it or eats it any more now that there is refrideration. It seems like there would be no reason to preserve fish this way anymore.

What is a typical traditional Swedish Christmas meal like now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 12:20 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Lutefisk is one of those foods that is served only very rarely and only in a special context (celebratory) so that when the proverbial 'stuff' hits the fan and technology collapses, people will have a resource to go to in order to survive. Lots of unpleasant things still exist for that reason like fishing in the rain and tenting in winter.

In America, people eat lutefisk as a way to prove how 'Swedish' (or Norwegian) they are (look at the great sacrifice I made scarfing down that fish! No one would do that unless they had Scandinavian blood!!!), so it serves a dual purpose.

:-)

Old 12-19-2010, 01:27 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
I have never even seen lutfisk. I don't think anyone I know has it on their christmas tables.
You should ask the norwegians.
This is a proper christmas dinner:
http://www.kostdoktorn.se/wp-content...12/julbord.jpg

Old 12-19-2010, 10:32 PM

599 posts, read 5,730,739 times
My grandmother makes it sometimes for dinner on the December 26th. I have only had it once. To me it tasted sort of liked boiled cod, but more plain. I had some issues with the texture of the fish. I prefer cod over lutfisk any day!

I was asked to describe how my family celebrate Christmas in Sweden in another thread. If you want to read about my family's take on Christmas read here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...porch-103.html. Some photos of the Christmas dinner and more are posted here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...porch-104.html

/joox

Old 12-20-2010, 10:34 AM

I think reindeer is a more common Christmas dish in Norway, too. Someone must eat lutefisk still, though. I can not only be 80 year old Minnesotans.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:26 PM

12 posts, read 38,586 times
Lutefisk is quite popular here in Norway. Many like it, many don't (I'm in the latter group!). People often go out to restaurants with friends to have lutefisk before Christmas. A recent article in an Oslo newspaper lists more that 20 restaurants that serve lutefisk, the most popular ones are booked solid months in advance. Many also invite friends and/or family and make it at home, either before Christmas or on one of the days between Christmas and New Years Eve. Lutefisk is never eaten after New Years or before late November.

However, few people serve lutefisk as their Christmas meal. We celebrate on Christmas Eve (Dec 24th), and according to statistics 52% have ribbe (loin rib of pork) and 31% pinnekjøtt (dried mutton ribs). Other: 6% turkey, 4% roast fresh ham, 2% lutefisk, 1% fresh cod.

Reindeer is not common Christmas food.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:12 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,810 times
My paternal grandparents used to make lutfisk for Christmas, but since they both died and we only go see my relatives on my mom' side (dad's side loves fish, mom's side hates it in all shapes or forms), I haven't had the ... "pleasure" to come across that ... "delicate" fish in many years now (apart from in Minnesota in June this year).

Ok, I actually like it. Not too much of a fan of fish myself either, but it's not bad. Especially not when served with potatoes and "white sauce" (the traditional way to serve it).

Now, surströmming on the other hand!

Old 12-21-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solvi View Post

according to statistics 52% have ribbe (loin rib of pork) and 31% pinnekjøtt (dried mutton ribs). Other: 6% turkey, 4% roast fresh ham, 2% lutefisk, 1% fresh cod.

Reindeer is not common Christmas food.
You are right, for Christmas dinner Reindeer is not eaten. We have had mostly pinnekjøtt. If you have hunters in you family as I do, you will not get through the week without Reindeer, though (maybe it is just my family?) Reindeer steak with viltsaus with some tyttebær in it and a glass juløl.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:45 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
I lived in Sweden for about a year and a half.

Went on a Julboard cruise. There was a lonely plate of lutefisk sitting off in the corner.

I ate some. It really didn't taste of anything.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:27 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think reindeer is a more common Christmas dish in Norway, too. Someone must eat lutefisk still, though. I can not only be 80 year old Minnesotans.
Not to worry. There is always such state as Wisconsin, where they love to talk about that lutefisk, as if eating it is some kind of a sacrilegious practice. Whether they actually eat it in Wisconsin (or not,) remains unknown to the humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe