Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 04:34 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,959,626 times

Advertisements

I just read an interesting article in a magazine called The Algemeiner called The Twilight Of Sweden's Jews? which was about the rise of vicious anti-semitism in that country. A particularly disturbing series of incidents that have taken place in the city of Malmo, which historically had the second largest Jewish community in Sweden ... acts of hate, violence, property distruction and bigotry against that city's Jewish community. A quick check revealed that the first Jews arrived in Sweden during the Medieval period and the times of the Hanseatic League. King Gustav I had a Jewish doctor in the early part of the Sixteenth Century.

The Jews of Sweden are leaving. They are packing their bags and emigrating to other places, most notably to Israel and the US.

Although the article focused on just one country, Sweden, I think there is evidence that Jewish communities are slowly disappearing from Europe as a whole. There has been a rise on attacks on Jews in some other European countries as well. Jewish property including old and historic synagogues and cemeteries have been desecrated.

Can Adolf Hitler's dream of a Europe that is Judenrein becoming true?

I hope to hear some respectful and intelligent comments ... and trust people will stay on topic. This discussion is not about religion, or ancient history, or international politics ... but about European current events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 04:54 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,835,122 times
Where's that evidence? Sweden doesn't collect ethnic data. And the Jewish community is in any case very very small in Sweden, and in 99% of the places they can live in complete peace. The antisemitism in that city (Malmö) is completely caused by a few young Muslim, mostly Palestinian, Iraqi etc, hotheads. And if you're a Palestinian refugee, I'd say this is quite understandable your view is more negative than positive.

There's absolutely no antisemitism or racism against Jews in Scandinavia by the native population or vast majority of immigrants. None.

There's around 2 million Jews in Europe. No way they're leaving, and they encounter very very very little antisemitism. The majority of them lives in France, UK and Germany and the Low Countries, and I'm sure the posters from there can confirm that there's no antisemitism rampant in Europe.

I suspect that article being just another propaganda Eurabia-style ignorant piece of toilet paper from America throwing false accusations and trying to have a shock effect.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:54 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,521,390 times
Immigration #'s from Europe to Israel.

Israel sees slight drop in Jewish immigration | Jewish Telegraphic Agency

Quote:
Immigration from the United Kingdom meanwhile rose by 23 percent, to 698 new arrivals from 560 in 2011.
Quote:
In total, Jewish immigration from Western Europe brought 3,243 new arrivals to Israel in 2012, an increase of 6 percent from the previous year.
Quote:
Immigration from France registered a 1 percent increase last year with 1,907 new arrivals, despite what leaders of the French Jewish community described as “an explosion of anti-Semitic incidents” occurring in France in 2012.
Quote:
Jewish immigration from Italy and the Iberian Peninsula increased in 2012 by 50 percent and 30 percent, respectively, to 160 from Italy and 93 from Spain and Portugal, but immigration from the Benelux area — Belgium and the Netherlands — dropped by 26 percent, to 209 new arrivals last year from 274 in 2011.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:28 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,210,686 times
What would be interesting is to see the immigration numbers of European Jews to the US and Canada, which might or might not be available, especially to Canada as it's easier to immigrate to Canada than to the US. A sudden spike in the Canadian numbers, IMO, might very well indicate Jews leaving Europe because of recent anti-Semitic incidents. It takes much longer and is much more complicated to get into the US, so changes in immigration numbers wouldn't necessarily reflect Jews' desire to escape anti-Semitism.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:00 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,471,489 times
There are quite a few Israelis who have moved to Europe. It can't be that bad.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:47 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,141,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
What would be interesting is to see the immigration numbers of European Jews to the US and Canada, which might or might not be available, especially to Canada as it's easier to immigrate to Canada than to the US. A sudden spike in the Canadian numbers, IMO, might very well indicate Jews leaving Europe because of recent anti-Semitic incidents. It takes much longer and is much more complicated to get into the US, so changes in immigration numbers wouldn't necessarily reflect Jews' desire to escape anti-Semitism.
All I could find regarding Canada is this link.

Jewish immigrants to Canada who were still in Canada in 2011
1971-1980: 16,300
1981-1990: 15,460
1991-2000: 18,235
2001-2011: 21,445

That's a slight increase but it's unclear how to interpret it given
1) Canada's total immigration numbers (which have increased a lot more than that)
2) even if Jewish immigration stayed flat you'd see such an increase because some people die or leave.

Whether anti-Semitic incidents have become more common in the past few years, I don't know. The anti-immigration and anti-Muslim bunch sure get a lot of mileage out of any such reports.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:56 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,535,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
All I could find regarding Canada is this link.

Jewish immigrants to Canada who were still in Canada in 2011
1971-1980: 16,300
1981-1990: 15,460
1991-2000: 18,235
2001-2011: 21,445

That's a slight increase but it's unclear how to interpret it given
1) Canada's total immigration numbers (which have increased a lot more than that)
2) even if Jewish immigration stayed flat you'd see such an increase because some people die or leave.

Whether anti-Semitic incidents have become more common in the past few years, I don't know. The anti-immigration and anti-Muslim bunch sure get a lot of mileage out of any such reports.
It's tough to say. I know French Jews have been growing as a community immigrating into Montreal, but that's balanced by native Anglo and Moroccan Jews immigrating out to Israel.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:04 PM

124 posts, read 122,960 times
Jews like to play victims unfortunately... They are more tolerated and respected in Europe than other ethnic minorities...

Old 10-21-2013, 08:51 PM

13,584 posts, read 15,682,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Where's that evidence?
I was thinking the same thing. The article's description sounds to me like just another ADL fundraiser propaganda piece.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:22 AM

106 posts, read 188,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambados View Post
Jews like to play victims unfortunately... They are more tolerated and respected in Europe than other ethnic minorities...

Rabbis love to play victims to increase their audience, also certain media loves to overplay minor incidents. Jews are not ethnic minorities. The only problems are with fanatic muslims, but everybody has problems with those people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe