Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 10:15 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,964,688 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be in Paris next week for about 3 1/2 days. Since it's my first trip, I'm planning on hitting some of the major sites - the Louvre, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, a few other places, and Versailles outside the city. Any other suggestions for a married couple and a 12 year old girl?

I'm open to most things, but my wife & daughter would probably prefer more indoor/historical things than outdoorsy stuff. (plus, while it won't be cold next week, the weather may be a bit rainy...)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 04:53 AM

418 posts, read 560,056 times
Versailles is amazing! You can buy a 2 day ticket for about the price of a 1 day so in case you can't see everything the first day you can go back. If you book online you can tour the special Kings apts. Kids till a certain age are free.
http://en.chateauversailles.fr/prepa...s/visites-1-en

The christmas markets are starting all over, Champs Elysee's is open I'm not sure about others, worth a google.

It will be cold next week to people in Europe but maybe not for you guys who are used to snow The rain in Paris tends to be a gentle vs downpour.

Also Galleries Layfette, worth a trip. There is a starbucks around the corner if shopping isn't your thing but sure the wife and daughter would love a little walk around.

I'd take buses vs the metro for safety and a better view, remember that as a tourist you need to be careful in Paris.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:22 AM

5 posts, read 4,996 times
Visit Paris most important museums Center Pompidou, the Louvre museum, d'Orangerie Museum, museum d'Orsay. I suggest a cruise on the River Seine for a girl when the weather will be good.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:24 AM

Thanks Brit. some good advice.

The weather in Paris currently seems to be about the same as it is where I am in Connecticut (high of 12-13 C), but the temperature will drop in Connecticut by 5-6 degrees C after Tuesday, while remaining about the same in Paris.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:17 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Depending on weather, this is a good walking/boat tour. You will need your map.

Take the Metro to the Arc de Triomphe. You can visit the Arc and the Champs Elysees. From there, walk to Trocadero. This has the best view of the Eiffel Tower. From Trocadero, walk down the hill and across the River Seine. This is where the tourist boats - 'Bateaux Mouches' - leave from. I can strongly recommend them. After the boat tour, visit the Eiffel Tower. Up to you if you want to go up it. From there walk through the gardens to the Ecole Militaire and then walk to Les Invalides to see Napoleon's tomb and the military museum.

Other visits .....

Notre Dame. Obviously. The Ile St. Louis which is the island next to Notre Dame is well worth a visit for lunch.

Sacre Coeur and Montmartre. You need to get the metro there but well worth a visit and great views of Paris.

The Louvre. This takes a lot of visiting because it is so big. Give yourself a full day.

Versailles. You will need to get the RER to get there. Great place to visit but also needs a full day.

If you like modern architecture, La Defense is worth a visit. There is also a big indoor shopping mall there which is not touristy. For high end (window) shopping Rue de Faubourg St. Honore is the place to go.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:23 AM

Thanks - some great suggestions. Reputation awarded!

Old 11-24-2014, 06:56 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Unlike City Guides

Pretty good city guide IMO.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:10 PM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I'm going to be in Paris next week for about 3 1/2 days. Since it's my first trip, I'm planning on hitting some of the major sites - the Louvre, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, a few other places, and Versailles outside the city. Any other suggestions for a married couple and a 12 year old girl?
That's pretty much all you'll have time for in 3 1/2 days.

Paris has an incredible amount of things to see and do.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:36 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,890,468 times
I doubt you can see much in 3,5 days in terms of museums because of the sheer size of them yet it's up to you.
I suggest to walk in the centre to "live Paris", a place I loved was La Motte-Picquet Grenelle which a wonderful long boulevard on the rive gauche.
Montmartre area, Opéra, Centre Georges Pompidou are magnificent zones as well, I loved Jardins du Luxembourg as well.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:06 PM

thanks - good suggestions as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe