Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 04:11 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Probably...the situation in the area is not stable anyway..but look at the next theater important to Russia...Libya.

Frankly I do not buy that story...it does not make any sense....cui bono?? Assad had no reason to use chemical weapons recently (he was winning anyway) and Putin had everything to lose with Assad using them. It would embarrass him on the world stage after Russia was some sort of guarantor against the use of such weapons on the side of the Syrians in the conflict

Rescue workers and doctors say at least nine people were injured after barrel bombs with chlorine gas were dropped in town of Saraqeb in Syria's Idlib province.
Rescue workers and medical groups have also accused government forces of using chlorine gas against the rebel-held Eastern Ghouta district near the capital, Damascus, three times over the last month.
The German government on Monday called for a thorough investigation into reports Syria had used chemical weapons in both Idlib and Eastern Ghouta.Disturbing video shows what Syrian rescuers say is chlorine gas attack - Business Insider

It was not the same type of chemical weapons used early last year which was far deadlier. Yet UN agencies are now investigating on the matter.

Also Iran is supporting Assad and Iran has military stationed in Syria. The Israelis fully believe Iran is using chemical weapons in Syria, and giving chemical weapons on the Assad regime. Germany sold technology to Iran for use in Syrian chemical attacks - International news - Jerusalem Post

Yet Putin does see that worsening relations with Israel is unproductive for Russia, as it s a huge buyer of Israeli military hardware, and Russia is unable to buy Military hardware from the US or West due to sanctions.

Even so these proxy wars in Syria will not at all last in peace.

At this state Assad regime is secure thanks to the Russians, however it is unlikely he will get full sovereignty throughout Syria, and still be divided into different warring factions like Libya.

It is unlikely that Russia will have full on military engagement in Libya. It is also forbidden to allow weapons to Libya as well under an UN resolution. Still Russia has business interests there and i the aim of protecting its interests there. https://theconversation.com/russia-h...n-future-79371

Last edited by other99; 02-06-2018 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 04:21 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Rescue workers and doctors say at least nine people were injured after barrel bombs with chlorine gas were dropped in town of Saraqeb in Syria's Idlib province.
Rescue workers and medical groups have also accused government forces of using chlorine gas against the rebel-held Eastern Ghouta district near the capital, Damascus, three times over the last month.
The German government on Monday called for a thorough investigation into reports Syria had used chemical weapons in both Idlib and Eastern Ghouta.Disturbing video shows what Syrian rescuers say is chlorine gas attack - Business Insider

It was not the same type of chemical weapons used early last year which was far deadlier. Yet UN agencies are now investigating on the matter.

Also Iran is supporting Assad and Iran has military stationed in Syria. The Israelis fully believe Iran is using chemical weapons in Syria, and giving chemical weapons on the Assad regime. Germany sold technology to Iran for use in Syrian chemical attacks - International news - Jerusalem Post

At this state Assad regime is secure thanks to the Russians, however it is unlikely he will get full sovereignty throughout Syria, and still be divided into different warring factions like Libya.

It is unlikely that Russia will have full on military engagement in Libya. It is also forbidden to allow weapons to Libya as well under an UN resolution. Still Russia has business interests there and i the aim of protecting its interests there. https://theconversation.com/russia-h...n-future-79371

Well the Middle East is surely a messy situation, and now Russia is back to contribute to the mess.

The Iranian used chemical agents?? Possible....Assad using them does not make sense, especially on the verge if "victory".

Assad may not get theoretical full sovereignty everywhere (I somewhat agree) but as long at these areas and pockets remain powerless and just a nuisance is all good.

If western powers get involved militarily in Syria, rest assured that Russia will join the fray. I agree that it will not be the first mover....but it is ready to pounce.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
The Iranian used chemical agents?? Possible....Assad using them does not make sense, especially on the verge if "victory".

Assad may not get theoretical full sovereignty everywhere (I somewhat agree) but as long at these areas and pockets remain powerless and just a nuisance is all good.

If western powers get involved militarily in Syria, rest assured that Russia will join the fray. I agree that it will not be the first mover....but it is ready to pounce.
If the West does not act wit the Iranian presence in Syria, then Israel has stated they will act alone if Syria is turned into an Iranian base, as after all Iran has been outspoken on the destruction of Israel. Yet of course the Assad regime is also heavily dependent on Iranian troops in Syria and the Russian government does support the Iranian military presence. It a messy situation.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
If the West does not act wit the Iranian presence in Syria, then Israel has stated they will act alone if Syria is turned into an Iranian base, as after all Iran has been outspoken on the destruction of Israel. Yet of course the Assad regime is also heavily dependent on Iranian troops in Syria and the Russian government does support the Iranian military presence. It a messy situation.

I believe there is a possibility of Russia brokering a peace deal or at least a good neighborhood treaty between the Iranians and Israel.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:45 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
My opinion on Russia's performance in Syria is unchanged. I'm not arguing what other people's opinions are. I'm unimpressed with their ability to eliminate much resistance in Idlib even after 2 years of air and artillery strikes. They won in Aleppo after 1 year of siege and targeting of hospitals enough to break the resistance. In Idlib its extremely slow going despite having a large number of forces on their side and nearly unimpeded air support.

As for Libya, they have to get real. Their guy is gone and if they don't support the reconciliation process there, they will lose out on future business deals.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I believe there is a possibility of Russia brokering a peace deal or at least a good neighborhood treaty between the Iranians and Israel.
The Iranians and Isrealis have been at each other throats since 1979, so I won't hold my breath. Iranians also have troops on the Lebanese side of the Isreali border and the Syrian side of the Isreali border. Iran has also been the biggest supporter Palestianian terrorist groups as well and a lot of weapons used by Palestianian terrorists were financed and supplied from Iran. Russians are no more effective in brokering a peace deal than the US with the Palestianian question.

Last edited by other99; 02-06-2018 at 06:01 PM..

Old 02-06-2018, 05:54 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Quote:
How can Russia broker peace when it only supports one side in a 3 way conflict? They already tried playing one side off another and all we have left is a combining of sides (the US backed SDF, the Turkey backed "rebels" and Russia/Iran backed government aligned side). Some minor players and mixed sides but that's the gist of it. I'm interested to hear how Putin can bring peace because I don't see it.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
My opinion on Russia's performance in Syria is unchanged. I'm not arguing what other people's opinions are. I'm unimpressed with their ability to eliminate much resistance in Idlib even after 2 years of air and artillery strikes. They won in Aleppo after 1 year of siege and targeting of hospitals enough to break the resistance. In Idlib its extremely slow going despite having a large number of forces on their side and nearly unimpeded air support.

As for Libya, they have to get real. Their guy is gone and if they don't support the reconciliation process there, they will lose out on future business deals.

So you are a battlefield expert......I got it...

Old 02-06-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Russians are no more effective in brokering a peace deal than the US with the Palestianian question.
They may not, the future will tell....definitely another strong power in the region may help stabilizing things. Iran may be more willing to negotiate a peaceful existence in the region once it knows it can rely on a st power protecting the survival of their sphere of influence.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
How can Russia broker peace when it only supports one side in a 3 way conflict? They already tried playing one side off another and all we have left is a combining of sides (the US backed SDF, the Turkey backed "rebels" and Russia/Iran backed government aligned side). Some minor players and mixed sides but that's the gist of it. I'm interested to hear how Putin can bring peace because I don't see it.
Russia is definitely backing more Iran but it is a bit more impartial than the US pretty much giving a blank check to Israel about everything.

Let's not forget Turkey slowly seeing things a little bit more the Russian way....

Russia has more to gain from peace and stability in the Middle East (is closer to home) then the US. I trust people self-interest.

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-06-2018 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe