Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2018, 12:30 PM

80 posts, read 36,899 times

Advertisements

Since it’s about the 9-th of May, can I ask the people reading this thread, who is originally from Russia but now live abroad- are your children told this day what it means (in their schools, for a example)? Do they know smth about the WW2? Is it important to talk about it, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 02:36 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraLub View Post
Since it’s about the 9-th of May, can I ask the people reading this thread, who is originally from Russia but now live abroad- are your children told this day what it means (in their schools, for a example)? Do they know smth about the WW2? Is it important to talk about it, what do you think?
Because 9th of May America was still at war it isn't taught as anything here. The fall of the 3rd Reich is taught to history students one time, and it occurred on May 8th anyway. Today is the day of Remembrance and Reconciliation in many nations including the UK and Ukraine. I prefer that term over Victory Day (used by the US and Russia)...

My children already know its importance since they are direct descendants of men who gave their lives in service to their Red Army. This they will not forget. Since they also have other family who fought in US uniform against the same enemies, they have a unique appreciation for WW2.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:08 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
Because he is helpless, pointless and inefficient!
And, yep, he irritates people with his stupid and naïve statements (which were maybe out of context, but still)

I think, Russians are very patient.
We get it that it’s a huge country which is difficult to rule, especially under all pressure and sanctions. But nevertheless, I think, Medvedev’s team could do much better the previous period!

It's a shame, that all new administration- are the same faces. They are just shuffling the deck with the same cards. Is there anyone new and fresh?
P.S. As for Mutko, he has to be somewhere in jail after all our humiliation in Olympics. But, oops, he’s over there again!
What's the alternative Vera?

Beware. I live in a system that is not what it used to be. My country has changed drastically since the what your country went through in the 1990s. They are not for the good.
I tend to agree that Russia needs new blood, young blood at the top but all I can say is be careful what you wish for, you may just get it.

What do you tihnk should be done specifically?

Old 05-08-2018, 07:37 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
Hands down - that female Putin is the best looking one Poroshenko, yes -the worst looking.
I beg you different - my vote goes to Medvedev(a)'s version)))

Old 05-08-2018, 08:23 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Well...Yes.
Yes, I had to teach my son about the WWII, as anything actually, when it comes to history. Because the World history is obviously not taught in American schools.
In case of the WWII, it's introduced primarily as the war between the US and Japan, barely mentioning some vague "Eastern Front," if at all.
So yes, I had to explain my son what that war was REALLY all about, and why it happened.
But I don't go to the scope and depth, to all the gory details - the way we were taught about that war, back in the day.
Because when we were growing up, our grandparents' generation was still around, so a big part of that Victory day was mourning, a legitimate mourning, because so many people lost their friends and families, and it was a day to remember them.
There was a lot of official claptrap too - parades and all, but still it was a meaningful day, because for many people the whole war experience was still very personal.
For my son however it can't be anything personal, so I can't teach him about the Great Patriotic War in the same manner as I've been taught.
And speaking of which, I observe now, that with time, instead of fading away as a natural flow of events, the memories of this war are whipped now into the Nationalistic frenzy back in Russia over and over again, by propaganda machine. It feels like it hijacked this theme for its own purposes.
So when I see the "war veterans" wearing all the insignia and medals of the WWII during parades over there, I have the following question;
My mother, who was six years old when the war began, turned 83 this year. So those who were fighting on the front lines, should be in their late nineties - hundred years old by now. Russia is not exactly the country known for its centenarians.
So WHO are these people, parading around as the "war veterans" on the 9th of May?

Last edited by erasure; 05-08-2018 at 08:35 PM..

Old 05-09-2018, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
What's the alternative Vera?

What do you tihnk should be done specifically?
Let me start from a bit afar)

I was a child when there was Yeltsin. I don’t remember much, but I definitely remember my cheeks burning with shame when I saw him drunk dancing. So my first loyalty towards Putin was based on simple things- he didn’t do boogie-woogie and he could speak)

Later I paid more attention to other things as well. I can say, that mostly I agreed with his politics. But this year I didn’t vote at all for the first time. I feel like I need some time to figure out my views. I just read, think, surf forums and try to be open-minded. I can admit that aggressive and arrogant criticism from the west only works for Putin and makes Russians defend him. But if there is some silence, it’s when the questions and doubts arise.

So, back to you asking what I think should be done.
What do effective businessmen do when their businesses are falling apart? They fire pointless people (even if they’re friends and drinking buddies) and hire professionals. That may cause conflicts, bad feelings and adaptation to strangers. But, nevertheless, they do that. So I wish our president started thinking like one of them and conquered his fear of having nearby people who is effective, respected and potentially popular.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:55 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
BTW - this explains right there.

I am not a big fan of the look of Russian men.
However the very same features look great on women ( that's why Russia has a lot of good-looking women I assume.)
But look at Trump - ( or rather his feminine version.)

Here the process works in reverse I think...
Well, women always look better, no matter the country. Trump has always surrounded himself with the most gorgeous women around.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:58 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
I'd like to thank everyone who replied to my querry about Medvedev.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:50 AM

Erasure, thank you for your answer! I aware about those things you’re talking about (pathos, propaganda, etc), but let me narrow this subject to just educational purpose.

Yes, there are few alive witnesses of this war. Maybe that’s why it’s getting even more important to remind our children about the nightmare of it.

So it’s just dry facts and dates in America (flattering for them)? Nothing emotional and moral (for instance, that people at some point can go mad and start thinking that some of them are better and the ‘worse’ ones can be killed and put in concentration camps)??
I think that kind of information (in right doses) can only create healthy attitude in any society and work as a vaccine.

Last edited by VeraLub; 05-09-2018 at 03:58 AM..

Old 05-09-2018, 06:26 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,859 times
watched the parade. Russian military equipment is a scrap metal. design at a low level. backward country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe