Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 02:34 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,618,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagafrika View Post
All I do know is that we are wondering what we should do about Russia, when, at one point, you seemed an ally.

The news here is different, like your news against us.

The world from above is very small.

I wish we could all be friends.

It's the politics that stop us.

P.S. oh, great, I just tried to retract my post, now? I am totally put out to wash. Oh, goodness.
We can be friends, and it's no problem. I have many friends around the world and many in the United States. Policy can not affect the attitude of the people, if people are open and friendly. Politics let it remain for politicians, and then there will be no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 02:40 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,618,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagafrika View Post
I tried to respond.

I want you to know: we are with you, but not on North Korea.
We are not with North Korea, but and not against it. Why should we be against this country? Why you should be against this country?

Old 12-22-2014, 03:03 AM

94 posts, read 116,687 times
Why do Russians think they are superior?

I was watching a Russian concert the other day. Before the concert, some older dude got up and started bashing America. Then he spoke about how great Russian motherland is and how we all love it. And after he was done, the concert started. Almost every other song was in English, not to mention the band's names were in English....It was puzzling to me..

Old 12-22-2014, 03:32 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1641 View Post

I was watching a Russian concert the other day. Before the concert, some older dude got up and started bashing America. Then he spoke about how great Russian motherland is and how we all love it.
Self-delusion. Russians like to boast about their history, art and literature, while in truth the nation has always been a mess with a 3rd world economy, and 95% of the populace are content as long as they have a mud hut and a bottle of vodka.
Bashing America is just a Cold War -revival to divert attention from the numerous internal issues. And it's a long-lasting idea in Russia that everyone is against them and hate them, so they turn inwards and blame everyone else but themselves. There's never anything wrong in their actions and behaviour, never has been, they are just the eternal victim of discrimination and misunderstanding in a neverending struggle for existence.
And of course, if Russia would've been treated "fairly" by other powers (= everyone lets them do what they want when they want), Russia would be the greatest nation on Earth.

The whole Russian mindset is so schizophrenic, delusional and totally from a dream world. The Russians say that Sevastopol, the Hero City, The Legendary Sevastopol, is theirs by right because it's a matter of fate, heritage and history, the Ukrainians are the brothers who should submit and fall into the fold as Kiev is another Hero City, the founder of all Russianism, and those who oppose the brotherhood and turn west are fascists and traitors. And because Russians think they are the ultimate martyrs of world history, everything they do is justified, because they have always been wronged. To add, they think there is a "bad boy" quota existing. If the US invades Iraq, Russia have one invasion "justified" for themselves. All this makes completely sense to them, and most Russians really reason like this, while it makes absolutely no sense for us Westerners.
But of course only if it goes their way. If Germany says Königsberg is theirs by right, fate and heritage or Finland says Viipuri is ours by the same reasons, no no. The Russians conquered them and now they are theirs, because only Mother Russia has a right to something!

This is not because Russians are stupid, no. They simply lack the tradition of independent and critical thought, and have been a part of a totalitaritan system with one single truth which can't be questioned since day one, except for a few years in the 90's. You really have to have guts to question the official truth, and most times you're either being ridiculed, beaten up (in Russia the one who wins a fight wins the argument), or you face legal action. Especially now when Russian propaganda says 24/7 that the whole world is against them (wonder why), they have to stay strong to ensure their existance. And a person who claims otherwise is a "provocateur", a threat to national unity.

Last edited by Rozenn; 12-23-2014 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: Bashing

Old 12-22-2014, 03:42 PM

146 posts, read 189,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonfly View Post
This is not a stereotype, some my friends bought their driving license for ~$200, probably in Moscow driving license is more expensive, but still many people can to buy it without any troubles.
And? In US you can buy even green card, corruption exists everywhere.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:48 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1641 View Post

I was watching a Russian concert the other day. Before the concert, some older dude got up and started bashing America. Then he spoke about how great Russian motherland is and how we all love it. And after he was done, the concert started. Almost every other song was in English, not to mention the band's names were in English....It was puzzling to me..
Why do Americans think America is superior? They bash other countries as being backward or undemocratic, and impose their "American way of life" and consumer cr@p on everyone. They think the only entertainment worth watching is Hollywood, and can't appreciate other cultures. SO annoying! Just take a look around C-D to see some of these attitudes play out.

Do people have a right to be proud of their country? Or is that a right reserved for Americans? Is Russia the only country that propagandizes to its people about how great it is?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-22-2014 at 06:36 PM..

Old 12-22-2014, 11:27 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Independent Finns have participated in one war in their history and it is very damaging to their minds. So this war was with Russia, then now they hate Russian. When they will participate in at least a couple dozen wars, then they will learn to respect and sympathize former enemies.

Last edited by Rozenn; 12-23-2014 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 12-23-2014, 01:11 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Do not pay attention. Independent Finns have participated in one war in their history and it is very damaging to their minds. So this war was with Russia, then now they hate Russian. When they will participate in at least a couple dozen wars, then they will learn to respect and sympathize former enemies.
We have fought Germany, and do have sympathy for them. We've also fought against ourselves.

Not maybe independent, but we certainly have seen a fair share of war. Like 50 of them. In the Crimean War we fought with you.

Seriously I don't think russophobia is much of an issue in Finland, hatered is such a strong word. Most of us can see the difference between Putin and an average Russian. What Kremlin does is not fueling racism towards the common Russian.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:57 AM

667 posts, read 940,505 times
Finns can also be understood. They live in a small and economically prosperous country, and have a big and not always predictable neighbor, who they do not understand... so they demonize Russia out of fear.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:54 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Re: '..so they demonize Russia out of fear'...

No doubt. But for some reason as I watch how countries 'relate' to each other today I'd say 'fear' probably is the greatest part of the climate between countries today. Tension is up markedly. Seems as we get smarter in technology and become more sophisticated in understanding the world around us we just don't 'communicate' well. i guess that's what happens when you have babies, adolescents, bullies, know-it-alls yapping away at the same who the hell can make anything out? We know who they are, don't we????...;-)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe