Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:20 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,520 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We're taking a European trip with kids (10 and 8) and I'm wondering if you could tell me what you wish American parents knew to teach their kids about manners?

Feel free to be really honest -- "American kids do blah, blah, blah, and I really wish they understood that we don't that!"

I'm particularly interested in restaurant, hotel, museum, park manners in Europe and England. Again, for families with little kids.

To be clear: I'm working casual lessons into our travels and want to teach the kids that different countries have different cultural norms. I want them to see that Italy might do one thing, France another and America another.

If you have any book suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thank you so much,

Alley

Last edited by Alicia64; 04-04-2014 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: to clarify
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 11:23 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Be yourself and don't let snobby europeans get to you.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Be yourself and don't let snobby europeans get to you.
Well, I'm working a variety of casual lessons into our trip. Learning about cultural norms is part of my plan. I want to be able to say something along the lines of, "Isn't it interesting that in Italy they do blank, while in France they do blank, but in America we do blank.

It's more of a learning thing for me.

Alley

Old 04-04-2014, 12:02 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,890 times
I would say what you would consider common manners apply.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:19 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Well, I'm working a variety of casual lessons into our trip. Learning about cultural norms is part of my plan. I want to be able to say something along the lines of, "Isn't it interesting that in Italy they do blank, while in France they do blank, but in America we do blank.

It's more of a learning thing for me.

Alley
Not really sure what sort of big differences you are expecting. If you have manners in the US, you will have manners in Europe. If you are loud and obnoxious in the US, you will be there as well.....and it's just as embarrassing in both places.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Not really sure what sort of big differences you are expecting. If you have manners in the US, you will have manners in Europe. If you are loud and obnoxious in the US, you will be there as well.....and it's just as embarrassing in both places.
I'm looking for different norms. Not loud and obnoxious. My kids don't act like that in America.

Have been in China I know there are different norms depending on which country you're in.

I don't want to debate it -- I was just hoping people in Europe might clue me in on a few differences.

Alley

Old 04-04-2014, 01:09 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
I'm looking for different norms. Not loud and obnoxious. My kids don't act like that in America.

Have been in China I know there are different norms depending on which country you're in.

I don't want to debate it -- I was just hoping people in Europe might clue me in on a few differences.

Alley
I've lived in France and Germany and have visited my family in France many times....I just don't understand what you are asking.

At best I can come up with in not wearing 'trainers/sneakers/tennis shoes' as much in Europe and not tipping...but those things aren't manners....and they aren't exactly things to base a 'lesson' on.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:03 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,869,262 times
I think really its the same.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:34 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
One thing I've noticed that's very different, and often interpreted as being rude, is in lining up (queuing) for things like the bus. Europeans line up, while Americans tend to huddle.

There are also different customs relating to restaurants. Tipping, for one. Another (that I've been told) is that Americans are too quick to put their money out on the table. In Europe, that means you're done and leaving. Not so much in America.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I've lived in France and Germany and have visited my family in France many times....I just don't understand what you are asking.

At best I can come up with in not wearing 'trainers/sneakers/tennis shoes' as much in Europe and not tipping...but those things aren't manners....and they aren't exactly things to base a 'lesson' on.
Well, like. . . I've heard that the French eat with a fork and knife. That they think eating w/ just a fork is semi-backwards or something.

That kind of thing.

Alley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe