Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 11:22 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Outside of Copenhagen, how are the other cities of Denmark?

In terms of atmosphere, interesting to walk around, good places to go out, and just all around good cities to explore or visit. Aarhus, Odense, Aalborg, etc.

How would you describe them in terms of ''atmosphere", "vibe", "people", etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 11:56 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
They all feel the same to me.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:03 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
BO-ringgg!

Old 07-10-2014, 02:08 PM

271 posts, read 369,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

In terms of atmosphere, interesting to walk around, good places to go out, and just all around good cities to explore or visit. Aarhus, Odense, Aalborg, etc.

I have been to those cities. Aarhus is similar to Copenhagen but smaller. It is rather similar to Malmo (if you have not been there) but without the high crime and ethnic diversity. Fredrikshavn, Odense, Aalborg and Skagen are like any Scanian city but if you have not been to Scania in Sweden than well – it is like small versions of Copenhagen – the same kind of housing design (brick stones or timber framed houses) but much smaller with narrow streets. The only thing I dislike with Denmark is that they can understand what I’m saying but I have a hard time to understand what they are saying and that you don’t get your sausage in the bread but on the side (WHY?).

Old 07-10-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme View Post
I have been to those cities. Aarhus is similar to Copenhagen but smaller. It is rather similar to Malmo (if you have not been there) but without the high crime and ethnic diversity. Fredrikshavn, Odense, Aalborg and Skagen are like any Scanian city but if you have not been to Scania in Sweden than well – it is like small versions of Copenhagen – the same kind of housing design (brick stones or timber framed houses) but much smaller with narrow streets. The only thing I dislike with Denmark is that they can understand what I’m saying but I have a hard time to understand what they are saying and that you don’t get your sausage in the bread but on the side (WHY?).
Do many Europeans, from outside of Scandinavia, visit these other cities?

I was just looking at Aarhus on google maps, and it's just as beautiful and filled with character as Copenhagen in. But I'm imagining for most outside of Denmark, a visit to Denmark, means a visit to Copenhagen.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:32 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:

These are typical sleepy towns. Good place to raise a child though.

Copenhagen with some high tides always looks good to me. Yep.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:14 AM

271 posts, read 369,638 times
Quote:
Do many Europeans, from outside of Scandinavia, visit these other cities?

I was just looking at Aarhus on google maps, and it's just as beautiful and filled with character as Copenhagen in. But I'm imagining for most outside of Denmark, a visit to Denmark, means a visit to Copenhagen.
I guess there are statistics on the internet showing what kind of tourism Denmark has. I think Denmark have around nine million tourists a year. Looking at Denmark Statistics it seems like Italians, Germans, French, Scandinavians and Spaniards are common tourists in Denmark. There is an also large Turkish tourism but I’m positive that these are immigrants that come on a tourist-visa. Denmark borders Sweden so border-crossings are common and no Visa or working-permit is needed. Swedes work in Copenhagen and Danes work in Malmo. Those few friends I have that lives in Malmo metropolitan area says that it common to go out on the weekends in Copenhagen. I’m no expert on Denmark and I have never lived in Scania or in Denmark so I don’t have a deeper knowledge on this issues.

Denmark is slightly larger than Maryland in United States or about 400 percent larger than Scania. Denmark is really small and you likely see the entire country within a week. I think there is pretty much tourists in Skagen, it is popular among Swedes who rents houses there in the summer. I don’t know if there are other parts of Denmark that is infested with tourists in the summer – other than Copenhagen of course. Those cities we discuss have mostly Scandinavian or maybe Northern European tourists – but that was what I experienced other than a few Japanese tourists but you see them all over Scandinavia. Copenhagen is an international city and Copenhagen airport is the busiest airport in Scandinavia. I think it’s like the world 22th most internationally trafficked airport so you will not be the only foreigner. My view on Denmark is that Copenhagen is great and the rest is just small towns. The big thing in Denmark is like Lego-Land, Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Tivoli Gardens (overrated amusement park) and Copenhagen Zoo. Personally, my favorite attraction in Denmark is Freetown Christiania but that is more like for college kids and young adults than kids.

Freetown Christiania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-11-2014, 11:19 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Denmarks towns, any town or city whatever, I would only describe as *quaint*.

Boring ?
No, but I can relate to that, when you do not speak the language (which I can !)
You mix with the locals, speak their language and you can have a great time in any small town or village in Denmark.
We did all the time, we were there for fun or work ...
(I often yank the whole family on business trips)
We have even been invited into peoples homes when visiting !
All because I am a brown-face who can speak their language,
with a Caucasian wife and brown-faced kiddies in tow.
Most of them always thought that their Mother was their Nanny !
It was a great conversation opener !
To overcome difficulties in relationships, you have to find the weaknesses first !

Old 07-11-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Denmarks towns, any town or city whatever, I would only describe as *quaint*.

Boring ?
No, but I can relate to that, when you do not speak the language (which I can !)
You mix with the locals, speak their language and you can have a great time in any small town or village in Denmark.
We did all the time, we were there for fun or work ...
(I often yank the whole family on business trips)
We have even been invited into peoples homes when visiting !
All because I am a brown-face who can speak their language,
with a Caucasian wife and brown-faced kiddies in tow.
Most of them always thought that their Mother was their Nanny !
It was a great conversation opener !
To overcome difficulties in relationships, you have to find the weaknesses first !
Actually that was the inspiration for me to post this thread

After having visited Copenhagen, I just really liked the people! I went into different bars, got lost while meandering far off the tourist tracks....and interrupted plenty of locals along the way, to get me back to a spot on the map I'd recognize.

Over and over, I continuously encountered very approachable and friendly locals, who were happy to help me out, and who often seemed to want to continue the conversation well past the point necessary. Even had a couple walk me all the way to place I was looking to go. I also had the conversation of 'How do you find Danish people - as we are very reserved' conversation, where they seemed very pleasantly surprised to find that I had all great experiences with locals.

Anyways, it made me think that I'd like to see much more of Denmark, than just Copenhagen. I'm also one of those traveler types who gets more into interacting with locals, people-watching, going out, etc., than I am of the type who has a checklist of museums to walk through.

Looking on google maps, many of those off-the-tourist-trail quaint (or boring) smaller Denmark towns, look quite quaint and interesting to explore as well.

I've actually put Aarhus at the top of my list, as it seems to be the biggest 2nd city, and google mapping it, certainly has just as much beauty as Copenhagen, it seems.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:08 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
I've been to many small towns in Denmark. I've spent far more time in North Jutland than Copenhagen. I find that I really like the small towns. However, I'm not someone who needs anything super exciting. The only thing boring about some towns is weekends or holidays when nothing is going on. They can be like ghost towns at those times. I'm out of time to type more, but maybe later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe