Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 07:13 PM

71 posts, read 98,352 times

Advertisements

Should Nordics, Baltics be worried ? Trump Stated some time ago, that on the case of Russian Invasion on Baltics or Finland it may not result with a immidiate military assistance? Hows the USA and Russia relations going to affect this all ? Will there be some secret pacts on the way ? Discuss please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 07:35 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,060,523 times
I just heard on the news that he's very iffy about supporting NATO, and a spokesperson for Norway said they're very concerned about this. He wished to remind Trump that the US's focus with NATO since 9/11 has been terrorism-related security, or something along those lines, on the US' behalf.

It's quite bewildering. But this is how the Republicans think: cutting spending everywhere possible, without warning.
When the evangelical Republicans took over Congress in the middle 90's, they immediately slashed foreign aid spending to the extent that they cut off funding to the US' several "area foundations" that channel foreign aid to the worlds' different regions (Africa Foundation, Asia Foundation, Inter-America Foundation). These were told to go find their funding elsewhere, and they were immediately thrown into crisis, and had to begin private fund-raising (i.e. going begging), while also applying for funding to charitable foundations. The (then) newly-created Eurasia Foundation, for funding citizen groups ("civil society") in Russia, was shut down completely, the doors locked, the employees all sent home. This, after awarding grants to people (Americans) doing work with Russia; suddenly these organizations, which had already initiated their projects, couldn't reach the Foundation to get their money to pay for their project expenses, staff, whatever. No one knew they had closed.

So this is how they operate. *poof* The command is given, and government institutions are closed, international commitments and initiatives cancelled, funding withdrawn. They don't care how much havoc they create. Of course a lot of this is simply ignorance about how diplomacy, foreign aid, and international negotiations and so on are normally conducted. It's outrageous. I'm afraid the prospects are worrisome.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-09-2016 at 08:17 PM..

Old 11-09-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharapita View Post
Should Nordics, Baltics be worried ? Trump Stated some time ago, that on the case of Russian Invasion on Baltics or Finland it may not result with a immidiate military assistance? Hows the USA and Russia relations going to affect this all ? Will there be some secret pacts on the way ? Discuss please.
Maybe this is why Putin was so Trump-happy during the election cycle. The path is clear for him now, or he hopes so.....?

Old 11-09-2016, 07:53 PM

Well definitely Northern European politicians and people are concerned according to the mainstream media, and the only ones who are happy, are Putin and Trump themselves.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:54 PM

26,807 posts, read 22,591,590 times
Putin indeed is a big winner in these elections, but so far I can't find any reasonable explanations - why would he want to take over Baltics? Or Finland for this matter?

Old 11-09-2016, 07:55 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,459,101 times
I hope Trump sees that Russia is not the problem here. NATO and the MIE are the trouble makers.Theres no good reason for American weapons and troops to be in Europe other than to make certain people rich.

I'm not holding my breath though. NATO has a way of perpetuating itself just like all government machinery.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:56 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,459,101 times
The Baltics would only be a burden to Russia as would the Ukraine.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Putin indeed is a big winner in these elections, but so far I can't find any reasonable explanations - why would he want to take over Baltics? Or Finland for this matter?
Russia is always been unpredictable,hungry for new territories, especially ''claiming'' back what used to be once part of it, military exercises especially focusing on attacking west not defending, et cetra ? Of course ''invasion'' is extreme scenario, but still possible.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:09 PM

26,807 posts, read 22,591,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
The Baltics would only be a burden to Russia as would the Ukraine.
Well, define "burden" Scrat.
If you care about the NATIONAL interests of your country, the inclusion of YOUR OWN people, the population with their lands, that extend your territories ( which was a traditional way of self-protection for Russia) and add to your labor force - how this can be a "burden"? (I am talking about Eastern part of Ukraine of course.)
If you, however, consider as an ultimate goal first and utmost the enrichment of your "upper class" and consider an investment in your own people ( instead of London's property or some "New York Mets") as "undesirable" since it doesn't immediately brings you "high return" - then yes, it becomes a "burden."

Old 11-09-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I couldn't say re: the Baltics. But of course he wouldn't invade Finland or Norway. But maybe the simple threat of doing so in the Baltics is to his advantage. To keep those countries guessing, keep them nervous.

There could be a negotiating advantage there, if they feel that suddenly the rug has been snatched out from under them, and they're on shaky ground, without a clear commitment from NATO (i.e. the US). Previously there were in a position of strength regarding independence from Russia, but with an American withdrawal or passivity, they will suddenly be in a weaker position. Russia could use that to its advantage.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-09-2016 at 08:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe