Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:50 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,017,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safinator View Post
I agree.. British and Irish actors do well in the US, because they speak native english language and because they look just like regular white american people for the most part so people can relate to them. The non-brit europeans are easy to tell apart in hollywood movies, for example the first time I saw Diane Kruger I noticed she was not an American.
Are you suggesting that ALL British and ALL Americans are 'regular white' people? Or are you just saying you can only be a British actor in the States if you are 'regular white'?? Perhaps Idris Elba would have something to say about this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 10:13 AM

97 posts, read 201,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Are you suggesting that ALL British and ALL Americans are 'regular white' people? Or are you just saying you can only be a British actor in the States if you are 'regular white'?? Perhaps Idris Elba would have something to say about this one?
No, I said people always need someone in screen they can relate to, that holds true specially for americans. The guy in your picture is black but he could pass for a regular "african-american".

America loves to play with stereotypes... The Russian "looking" guy is always the "bad" one or the Asians are either on martial arts or part of some organized crime. Its just easier with Brits because they speak the same language and Its easier for Most Brits to blend as Americans than for other european Nationalities.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
No, I said people always need someone in screen they can relate to, that holds true specially for americans. The guy in your picture is black but he could pass for a regular "african-american".

America loves to play with stereotypes... The Russian "looking" guy is always the "bad" one or the Asians are either on martial arts or part of some organized crime. Its just easier with Brits because they speak the same language and Its easier for Most Brits to blend as Americans than for other european Nationalities.
I didn't post a picture but if you mean Idris Elba then I fail to see how he cant also pass for a regular black Frenchman, Dutchman, Belgian, Brazilian, Nigerian or Angolan man??? I'm also not sure why you think 'white' Russians couldn't pass for American, I can tell you as somebody that lives in a part of the world with thousands of Eastern European immigrants you would assume that they were British (until they open their mouths of course).

Old 05-21-2015, 10:34 AM

97 posts, read 201,834 times
Quote:
I didn't post a picture but if you mean Idris Elba then I fail to see how he cant also pass for a regular black Frenchman, Dutchman, Belgian, Brazilian, Nigerian or Angolan man??? I'm also not sure why you think 'white' Russians couldn't pass for American, I can tell you as somebody that lives in a part of the world with thousands of Eastern European immigrants you would assume that they were British (until they open their mouths of course).

Thats the effect of being used to see foreigners that look even more different on a daily basis.. If you live surrounded by South Asians, Africans and caribbeans you might start seeing Russians as not so different looking from the British average, which doesnt mean they look anything like Brits. IF brits look so similar to Russian people why isnt there dating sites looking for british women instead of Russian .

IS waying Rooney or John cleese rather russian looking than British? Vladmir Putin looks like an average man wolking on a small english town? please..

I dont believe brits resemble any European nationality, other than the Irish who have a lot in common when you look at their origins.. I still can recognize the Black british man from regular african American.. A lot of the black British men look more like jamaicans.. they tend to have different facial structure from regular african-american.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:34 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonboy View Post
I disagree go to any cinema in Western Europe and 99% of the movies are from hollywood. Yes in France, Germany, Spain, Italy they are dubbed but they are Hollywood movies regardless.

Of course there are also many local programs, series etc. but for example Desperate Housewives is internationally known.

You can find a McDonald, Starbucks, KFC in every major European city.

MTV, 90% of the musicians are either American or US based (Justin Bieber etc.) but of course every country in Europe also has its local artist, actors, musicians.

Also for example Craig Daniel or Clive Owen are British, but if they didn't move to Hollywood "nobody" would know them. Same for Amy Winehouse or Jay Sean they are signed to American record labels.

I would say that countries like India, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, Hong Kong, The Philippines got strong local industries. But then again the biggest stars go to Hollywood.

I would say that countries like Belgium, Holland, Norway, Sweden and the UK have the most American pop culture. The fact that almost everybody in these countries are fluent in English proves my point.
As someone who lives in one of the countries you have mentioned, i completely disagree.

Let's start out with music, counting featurings there are 16 artists in the top 10 singles, there are 4 American artists, 2 Spanish, 2 American, 2 British, 1 Norwegian, 1 Danish, 1 French, 1 Australian, 1 Jamaican and a Puertorican. There are also 10 Italian artists in the top 10 singles so local music is far from being dead.

Starbucks has no frnachises in Italy and it will probably never have since it's nothing more than a ridiculous imitation of our coffee culture. Since Rome and Milan are both major European cities that mean they actually don't have a franchise there. Until recently the only 2 KFCs were on US military bases, when two have opened respectively in Rome and Turin.

MTV is an American based tv (which no one actually watches here), of course they are going to air mostly American artists since despite being international their home country makes for a significant part of their worldwide audience.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Thats the effect of being used to see foreigners that look even more different on a daily basis.. If you live surrounded by South Asians, Africans and caribbeans you might start seeing Russians as not so different looking from the British average, which doesnt mean they look anything like Brits. IF brits look so similar to Russian people why isnt there dating sites looking for british women instead of Russian .

IS waying Rooney or John cleese rather russian looking than British? Vladmir Putin looks like an average man wolking on a small english town? please..

I dont believe brits resemble any European nationality, other than the Irish who have a lot in common when you look at their origins.. I still can recognize the Black british man from regular african American.. A lot of the black British men look more like jamaicans.. they tend to have different facial structure from regular african-american.
Complete rubbish! John Cleese doesn't look anything like Wayne Rooney!! If they both have this (non existent) British look then tell me EXACTLY what this 'look' is?? Then I will tell you if all the British people I share this country with have that 'look'!

Old 05-21-2015, 12:48 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,258,522 times
Quote:
I agree.. British and Irish actors do well in the US, because they speak native english language and because they look just like regular white american people for the most part so people can relate to them. The non-brit europeans are easy to tell apart in hollywood movies, for example the first time I saw Diane Kruger I noticed she was not an American.
I've always said if you plopped me in America with an American accent they'd never question me. Much to the distaste of some people.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Brits learnt english after Kayne west and lil wayne became popular in the Isles, until that time brits limited themselves to speak an old Brythonic or Gaelic dialect .

Before the foundation of the US there was nothing outside the States... that why Vegas is such historical compilation of all the wonders around the world
Kayne West is black.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Don't know what you are talking about! I can spot a Polish person a mile away!? Think you've gone a bit loopy there love.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:08 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,036 times
I know the topic is least pervasive, but one day I was on the flipping through the channels during a summer in Germany when this appeared on the television:

Couldn't believe it! Youtube to see how bad and MTV-pandering it actually is.

Obviously this doesn't generalize the whole country or anything, I just thought it was so effing funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe