Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:02 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Arabic isn't a language of international commerce. Why should it be taught in primary school?
Almost all poor people from Arab countries are grabbing their chance right now to get in Europe... Most of them can only speak Arabic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 12:30 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times
Quote:
Arabic isn't a language of international commerce. Why should it be taught in primary school?
That's about as wrong as those Americans who believe that Beckham scores more goals than Messi...

Here's the reality though:

Who holds the oil? The Arabs.
What city in the middle east has the biggest gdp? Dubai/Arab Emirates
How many people speak Arabic? about 300 million.

It's in top 5 of the most spoken languages worldwide.

During my stay in Dubai I also noticed desire among the local to maintain their language despite the comparable English proficiency.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:18 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
Regarding learning Arabic...

I'd say point well taken. Certainly needed for the future where it would incomparably give a closer and more rigorous understanding of the operation of totalitarian monarchies, their governments and institutions and their international interests. Knowing language provides a better avenue to the thinking behind actions.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:27 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Europeans have no interest in learning Arabic.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Europeans have no interest in learning Arabic.
Not yet but in 2 decades from now who knows. World saving Western Europe are tolerant to the intolerant so everything can happen.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:13 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Almost all poor people from Arab countries are grabbing their chance right now to get in Europe... Most of them can only speak Arabic.
Yes, so...? How does that answer the question?

Old 01-06-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, so...? How does that answer the question?
Many of them only want to speak Arabic.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:15 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
That's about as wrong as those Americans who believe that Beckham scores more goals than Messi...

During my stay in Dubai I also noticed desire among the local to maintain their language despite the comparable English proficiency.
Fine. But these things have been true since the 1950's. Why propose teaching Arabic in schools now? If it's such an important language, why wasn't it introduced as a standard part of the curriculum when English was?

Old 01-06-2016, 04:28 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: 'The future looks bright. Economies growing again, unemployment shrinking and technology developing. Most poor countries are getting richer'

So in the case of the EU you think it will be resilient then? From my perch she's got alot on her plate. Brussels more and more is being perceived as throwing weight around with Germany at the apex running things. Sure looks like agitation going on turbulently in the 'union'. Far-right parties seem to be on the ascendant with all their implications. Just my take.
First of all, it isn't only far right parties who are skeptical of how the EU is currently structured. It's just that no one around here seems to notice the steps ahead made by parties like Podemos, Five Star Movement, ecc.

These parties who go against the establishment usually tend to be more popular in a moment of economic or political crisis, once this one ends they will end up having a marginal role as usually. That is unless they build a solid base and start getting more moderate but i can't see how most of the Euroskeptical aside from a few (Five Star Movement and Front Nationale for example) will stay popular once economy gets going.

Look at UKIP for example! They have stopped their rise as of late because British economy is growing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post

I think it's a bit shortsighted to think that oil will keep being an important source of energy and fuel in the long run given how things are currently going and i haven't seen the influence of Arabic grow that much either outside of there being more immigrants and therefore more people who are likely to speak it

Old 01-06-2016, 04:35 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times
Quote:
Fine. But these things have been true since the 1950's. Why propose teaching Arabic in schools now? If it's such an important language, why wasn't it introduced as a standard part of the curriculum when English was?
I'd say you're mistaken if you think people in Europe or elsewhere owe their English knowledge to school.
If the Arab world provides good $ opportunities, or other sorts of comforts people will find a way to learn the language.

I'd also say you're mistaken in your claim that those things existed since the 1950s. They didn't. Dubai for example has been pretty much a desert before 1995. Google for instance "Sheikh Zayed road before and now". Its like comparing a sand dune vs New York.

Though the biggest point probably was the lack of globalization: Budget airlines, internet, migrants etc. will result in culture exchange both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe