Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: European perspective: Which U.S. state do yo think is the most 'cultured'?
New York 23 37.70%
Massachussetts (Boston, etc.) 24 39.34%
Maryland (Baltimore, Washington DC metro area) 5 8.20%
Virginia (Washington DC metro area, Arlington, Richmond) 3 4.92%
Connecticut (New Haven, Yale, etc) 3 4.92%
Minnesota (Minneapolis) 3 4.92%
Washington State (Seattle) 2 3.28%
California (San Francisco, etc.) 13 21.31%
Illinois (Chicago, etc) 4 6.56%
Ohio (Cleveland, Cincinnati, etc.) 2 3.28%
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Pittsburgh) 3 4.92%
OTHER 11 18.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 03:57 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,842,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
European perspective: Which U.S. state do yo think is the most 'cultured'?
Definitely New York!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 993 times
Las Vegas is the best as it is very modern, interesting and we can earn some money.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:42 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianadao View Post
Las Vegas is the best as it is very modern, interesting and we can earn some money.
Las Vegas is not a state.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:46 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Even as a city I don't really see the culture in LV. To the contrary, it seems like one giant fake, one of the least cultured big cities in the US.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:19 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
I hate the words "more cultured"

Lets not be a bunch of snobs, everywhere has culture and no culture is better than the other...

Yes Orlando, Las Vegas, Dubai are cultured and places like Timbuktu, Athens, Jerusalem aren't any more or less better than them.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:13 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
I totally disagree. And not because I was a snob, I have equally little to do with any of those places.

Some things are simply superior to others, which is logical when things are different.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:16 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Even as a city I don't really see the culture in LV. To the contrary, it seems like one giant fake, one of the least cultured big cities in the US.
That's because it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I hate the words "more cultured"

Lets not be a bunch of snobs, everywhere has culture and no culture is better than the other...

Yes Orlando, Las Vegas, Dubai are cultured and places like Timbuktu, Athens, Jerusalem aren't any more or less better than them.
This is the type of response that reminds me of the child who came in last place but got a trophy just for participating. While I agree that everywhere has culture, in the real world, some are better than others. Life isn't always fair and politically correct.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:26 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times
it's interesting how America's culture is mostly black or latino in persuasion!

when Americans tell you how awesome the food back in their hometown is (then they start telling u about good mexican tacos, burritos, fajitas) or amazing (soul food or cajun = black people)

they talk to you about architecture, and it's all art deco from belgium and france, or pueblos in new mexico from native americans

if they mentioned american music then they'll talk about (jazz, soul, rock, funk) all black urban beats

what is anglo american culture? besides suburbias, shopping malls, working 70 hours a week, SUV's, jesus christ, let me go to college and get 100thousand dollars in debt?

I am not being bigoted but if you take the latino and black element outside of America the US would be an awful homogeneous, depressing, sterile place to be!!!!
without blacks or latinos the US would be as exciting as a small town in the middle of Iowa!

Old 10-28-2014, 01:00 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,622,250 times
What about literature, country music and cinema, Irene?
Massachussets, because of the universities

Last edited by tarzan_taborda; 10-28-2014 at 01:12 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 01:07 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
it's interesting how America's culture is mostly black or latino in persuasion!

when Americans tell you how awesome the food back in their hometown is (then they start telling u about good mexican tacos, burritos, fajitas) or amazing (soul food or cajun = black people)

they talk to you about architecture, and it's all art deco from belgium and france, or pueblos in new mexico from native americans

if they mentioned american music then they'll talk about (jazz, soul, rock, funk) all black urban beats

what is anglo american culture? besides suburbias, shopping malls, working 70 hours a week, SUV's, jesus christ, let me go to college and get 100thousand dollars in debt?

I am not being bigoted but if you take the latino and black element outside of America the US would be an awful homogeneous, depressing, sterile place to be!!!!
without blacks or latinos the US would be as exciting as a small town in the middle of Iowa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe