Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 03:40 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times

Advertisements

All Nordic nations are very centralised and heavily dependent on their capital regions. A system where Southern Jylland would subsiside Northern Savonia or these regions would be put against each other is not possible. A federation where the regions would have a say in the local parliament is impossible. The only solution is a centralised parliament from Stockholm, with some priviledges within the provinces (countries).

Legislatively it would not be hard to unite at all. We all Nordics are already entitled to another country's governmental subsidies, entitled to citizenship in 2 years of residence, and have a similar approach to almost everything. The only problem would be the EU, NATO and Denmark's liberal policy on alcohol. Politically, Kokoomus-Moderaterna-Venstre-Höyre are already practically the same party, all countries have similar Social Democratic parties, and Fremskrittspartiet-SD-True Finns-DPP can agree on everything. All countries also have strong Green parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 03:55 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
For me, Sweden interest me more than Italy which is high on everyone else's list.
Same here! Though I would like to go to Northern Italy and kind of follow the journey that Henry took in Farewell to Arms (Hemingway), right into Switzerland.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:59 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
All Nordic nations are very centralised and heavily dependent on their capital regions. A system where Southern Jylland would subsiside Northern Savonia or these regions would be put against each other is not possible. A federation where the regions would have a say in the local parliament is impossible. The only solution is a centralised parliament from Stockholm, with some priviledges within the provinces (countries).

Legislatively it would not be hard to unite at all. We all Nordics are already entitled to another country's governmental subsidies, entitled to citizenship in 2 years of residence, and have a similar approach to almost everything. The only problem would be the EU, NATO and Denmark's liberal policy on alcohol. Politically, Kokoomus-Moderaterna-Venstre-Höyre are already practically the same party, all countries have similar Social Democratic parties, and Fremskrittspartiet-SD-True Finns-DPP can agree on everything. All countries also have strong Green parties.
With the exception of the NATO and EU thing, I think these other issues can be overcome. Denmark can have it's own alcohol policy just like US states have their own as well as drug policies like with pot. California and Florida have very strict anti smoking policies, Arizona does not. This is feasible in a federal system. The now countries can be states like in the US or Mexico or republics on the Yugoslav model. I know the current countries have their own provinces and you mentioned that the power structure in these countries is currently centralized (so I was wrong when I thought they were federal). This does work. It works in the US., the nation is federal but the states themselves are unitary with power centralized in the state capitals.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Same here! Though I would like to go to Northern Italy and kind of follow the journey that Henry took in Farewell to Arms (Hemingway), right into Switzerland.
That sounds cool too. For some reason, northern Europe has always intrigued me more.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:16 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
With the exception of the NATO and EU thing, I think these other issues can be overcome. Denmark can have it's own alcohol policy just like US states have their own as well as drug policies like with pot. California and Florida have very strict anti smoking policies, Arizona does not. This is feasible in a federal system. The now countries can be states like in the US or Mexico or republics on the Yugoslav model. I know the current countries have their own provinces and you mentioned that the power structure in these countries is currently centralized (so I was wrong when I thought they were federal). This does work. It works in the US., the nation is federal but the states themselves are unitary with power centralized in the state capitals.
The U.S. is such a headache of policies that vary sometimes drastically state by state. Like the open carry gun laws. We all speak English, but just the different vibes/cultures of each state makes it feel like you are travelling to a different country. In fact as a Californian I've felt more culturally aligned with the people of British Columbia than with Texans, Southerners and Floridians...just way different mentalities.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
The U.S. is such a headache of policies that vary sometimes drastically state by state. Like the open carry gun laws. We all speak English, but just the different vibes/cultures of each state makes it feel like you are travelling to a different country. In fact as a Californian I've felt more culturally aligned with the people of British Columbia than with Texans, Southerners and Floridians...just way different mentalities.
I say this all the time on these forums. The US really is like a bunch of different countries culturally. I've also head other Californians say the same things that you just said. I've not been to Texas so I can't speak from experience. Washington feels a lot like CA in many ways though.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:31 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,065,752 times
The EU negates all of this. The only need to amalgamate these countries is for defence purposes. The EU is getting together more as time progress more into defence. Not there yet but pointing that way.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:24 PM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Globally, it would be a force to be recognised. IF Finland were to be included, it would be an economy as big as Russia, despite having only 27 million people. It would be the 9th largest economy in the world.
That sounds pretty damn awesome.
But I don't see the point of an United States of the Nordics other than looking awesome and pissing off Russia lol. Each of them is doing very well themselves and the borders are completely open.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
The EU negates all of this. The only need to amalgamate these countries is for defence purposes. The EU is getting together more as time progress more into defence. Not there yet but pointing that way.
This is true if Scandinavia would want to go the confederate route as the EU is pretty much already a confederation. If they decide on a federal system then it would be like Germany, a federal state within the confederate EU system.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That sounds pretty damn awesome.
But I don't see the point of an United States of the Nordics other than looking awesome and pissing off Russia lol. Each of them is doing very well themselves and the borders are completely open.
it would **** off more than Russia. Such a union would make Scandinavia an economic powerhouse which would likely not sit too well with some European countries. Look at the reaction Germany gets as it has a lot of say in economic decisions. A unified Scandinavia would be another dominant force in Europe in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe