Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 07:36 AM

13 posts, read 10,942 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking to relocate in Europe and change my lifestyle, as well.

what I am looking is a place near a source of water (preferentially sea, but lake, river, etc.. are ok).

we want to buy a house with a garden and make an atelier/workshop, so that my wife can craft her art.

I am a computer engineering, so I can freelance, teach, and focus on writing.

We have 2 kids, small age, and we need your help to find a place where we can find:

* low pace, but still vibrant in history and culture, i.e, low pace, but not boring
* respectful people, with family values
* safe, low rate of violence
* good health system and facilities
* able to live with low income (from our arts), given that we would by our house with no mortgage

I like the quiet and peaceful low pace of country, but want also to have cultural exchanges - the best of both sides, I guess.

Language would not be an issue and very open to islands.

Where would you suggest us to relocate?

Thanks for your attention
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 07:59 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo77 View Post
Hi,

I am looking to relocate in Europe and change my lifestyle, as well.

what I am looking is a place near a source of water (preferentially sea, but lake, river, etc.. are ok).

we want to buy a house with a garden and make an atelier/workshop, so that my wife can craft her art.

I am a computer engineering, so I can freelance, teach, and focus on writing.

We have 2 kids, small age, and we need your help to find a place where we can find:

* low pace, but still vibrant in history and culture, i.e, low pace, but not boring
* respectful people, with family values
* safe, low rate of violence
* good health system and facilities
* able to live with low income (from our arts), given that we would by our house with no mortgage

I like the quiet and peaceful low pace of country, but want also to have cultural exchanges - the best of both sides, I guess.

Language would not be an issue and very open to islands.

Where would you suggest us to relocate?

Thanks for your attention
Let's assume that a resident visa or citizenship is not an issue, which you did not address.

First area that came to mind is southern France, probably on the outskirts of towns not on, but relatively close to, the Mediterranean coast, probably with a main river running through, and with some ancient/medieval history like Arles, Nimes, Avignon, or possibly as far west as Toulouse where it may be even a bit cheaper, but I'm just guessing. With a low income, you could possibly fall under the radar in terms of the worst of taxation and bureaucracy, while enjoying a world class level of services, at least relatively.

Other possibilities are places in Greece, Portugal, Spain, and a few in southern Italy/islands. Among those, Greece and Italy are in bad shape economically, and the bureaucracy and taxation adversely affect life at every level with proportionally little in return in terms of services, and shrinking. Portugal, away from Lisbon and Oporto, might be somewhat less bad, then Spain, perhaps somewhere in Andalusia, a step or two or three below southern France, geographically and socially, generally speaking.

Good Luck!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:51 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,062,698 times
Try Finland. The problem is getting you a job. The Scottish islands are great but you may have to change professions.

Last edited by John-UK; 06-10-2014 at 09:02 AM..

Old 06-10-2014, 12:05 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,325,120 times
The Stockholm archipelago.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:08 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Try Finland. The problem is getting you a job. The Scottish islands are great but you may have to change professions.
He specifically requested good healthcare, so no. Otherwise I would suggested Finland as well.

But I would know a perfect place...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aantalista.jpg
http://naantalinmatkailu.fi/sites/na...uva_oletus.jpg
http://vesalamminen.net/Img1696.jpg
http://www.vastavalo.fi/albums/userp...n_naantali.jpg
http://www.discoveringfinland.com/ft...akala-main.jpg
http://www.vastavalo.fi/albums/userp...mal_259280.jpg
http://finntimes.com/wp-content/uplo...-in-winter.jpg
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/18731.jpg

Old 06-10-2014, 12:14 PM

9,362 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
The OP seems to have stated that he works remotely at home, unless I misunderstood "freelance", possibly supplemented by teaching and writing.

Are the Scottish islands, Finland outside Helsinki and the Stockholm archipelago low cost areas? Hard to imagine that imported food is cheap. What about buy prices for small houses?

Old 06-10-2014, 01:21 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Are the Scottish islands, Finland outside Helsinki and the Stockholm archipelago low cost areas? Hard to imagine that imported food is cheap. What about buy prices for small houses?
Well, considering that 99% of Finnish and Swedish artists are dirt poor, I think they'll survive.

Actually... mass-produced Dutch veggies, Danish pork and Brazilian beef is cheaper than domestic.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:08 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,325,120 times
Why does the food have to be imported?

Old 06-11-2014, 02:29 AM

13 posts, read 10,942 times
thanks to everyone who have replied, so far.

I guess houses in Finland or Sweden are quite expensive, right? Something around 200K would be ideal.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:56 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Sorry I have to ask, but how are you planning to get a Visa with those jobs?

Other than that, I'd recommend places with lots of tourists and low cost of living. Since the economy doesn't seem to matter that much (because of the freelancing), I'd probably go to Croatia, Greece or Portugal. Dubrovnik or somewhere on Santorini comes to my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe