Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:39 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times

Advertisements

I'm an American living in Brussels. It's nice -- in a lot of ways, it's better than living in many parts of the US. I wouldn't leave the US to live here though. Whatever can be found here in terms of lifestyle and quality of life can be found in the US too. What really stands out to me are the similarities actually. "The West" share a similar culture.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:24 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato&onion View Post
In Europe, kids learn several languages whereas in America it's only English. People seem more educated and worldly. You can take a train for an hour and you land in another country. There is so much beauty and amazing food and culture in Europe. It is less wasteful, public transportation is all over, healthcare is free. I feel like America has zero appeal when compared to Europe. These are just a few....I currently live in America and sometimes I think about relocating, but I don't want to have to learn a language at my age (27), plus immigration would be another hoop. I immigrated when I was 9 years old from the middle east. As a woman I am glad to be in America versus where I came from, but I can't help but wonder how much better life would be if I was living in Europe.
You should move....no doubt Europe has many advantages. I'm learning a new language and I'm much older than you. Keep in mind though, Europe has less job opportunities, especially if you don't speak the language of whatever country you want to live in.

I recently looked at moving to Spain for a few years but the wealth tax killed any thoughts for me doing that. IMO, non-workers and low skilled workers are better off in Europe and motivated high skilled workers will be more at home and will do better in the USA.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:57 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato&onion View Post
In Europe, kids learn several languages whereas in America it's only English. People seem more educated and worldly. You can take a train for an hour and you land in another country. There is so much beauty and amazing food and culture in Europe. It is less wasteful, public transportation is all over, healthcare is free. I feel like America has zero appeal when compared to Europe. These are just a few....I currently live in America and sometimes I think about relocating, but I don't want to have to learn a language at my age (27), plus immigration would be another hoop. I immigrated when I was 9 years old from the middle east. As a woman I am glad to be in America versus where I came from, but I can't help but wonder how much better life would be if I was living in Europe.
And whose fault is it that kids don't learn foreign languages in the US? People who want their kids to learn foreign languages either teach them (some people do raise their kids to be bilingual, or multi-lingual), or send them to schools where foreign language is taught from first grade. Healthcare isn't exactly free in Europe, it's paid for by a high tax rate. 27 isn't too old to learn a new foreign language.

In the US, your life is as good as you want to make it. Focus on making a good life for yourself.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:00 AM

202 posts, read 224,690 times
I can guarantee you that 3/4 of Europeans would emigrate to the US if they were given a chance.
Now ask how many Americans would do the same vice-versa.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:12 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
This is gonna be good.
......yet again.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:27 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetway View Post
I can guarantee you that 3/4 of Europeans would emigrate to the US if they were given a chance.
Europeans from which countries? The EU?

Old 03-16-2015, 11:35 AM

221 posts, read 343,492 times
Quote:
Counting only people from old Eastern Bloc countries then I presume.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:57 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,322 times
Quote:
Less vodka dude.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Europe is a CONTINENT for ****s sake. Before we address this fact we can't answer any of your questions.
More like a sub-continent, when you look at all of Eurasia.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
You are missing the point.

Europe is a collection of over 20 countries some are poor and some are super rich the quality of life between these countries are massive.

Where in Europe would you move to? Eastern Ukraine? Or Southern Italy? Its a continent (well a cultural region within Eurasia) you can't compare that to the United States which has a underlined mainstream culture, Media, politics dynamic and language that unifies the land.

Also this magical place called Europe isn't that great France, Spain, UK, Ireland, Portugal, Netherlands and Germany all have their issues.

If I was going to answer your question keeping in mind that Moldova, Bosnia, Ukraine and Russia are in Europe (not just rich Western Europe) then I'd say NO Europe isn't better than the US in terms of quality of life.
Canada. What she really wants is Canada. Beautiful scenery, "free" healthcare, great cooking in parts of it, slightly more rational politics than in the US, bilingual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe