Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 08:40 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,143,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Not always. It really seems to be the middle class that struggles with healthcare. They make to much to qualify for medicaid, but they cannot afford the insane premiums that health insurance requires. So you get this midlle group that has to much money for state funding, but not enough money to pay healthcare premiums. And then there is the issue of middle class americans having healthcare that is tied to their job. Many people will stay in a job that they hate because they don't want to lose insurance. And then sometimes sick people are to sick to work and lose their jobs and health care. I'm not denying we have serious issues with healthcare here.
I pay nothing for my healtcare except $5 for generic drugs and $10-20 for prescription ones.

Hundreds of dollars a month is what you would pay generally for great healthcare. People talk about higher taxes in Europe, but I think that if a lot of people looked at the cost of their insurance premiums, those taxes are not so bad.
Very well put!

I have one of the worst cancers - brain cancer - and receive excellent treatment in Minnesota. I am also, by most definitions used by the federal and state governments, "poor". People actually impoverish themselves to receive health care for this type of condition. I wasn't poor at time of diagnosis, but as a part-time worker at a family business who did not offer health insurance, I was enrolled with MinnesotaCare, a state program. Now that I'm on SSI (a payment made to those with disabilities), I receive MA, which is even more generous, and if I ever find work again, I'll automatically qualify for MA-EPD, which is MA with a nominal premium.

The problem is that public (and private) health insurance programs vary by state. A few years ago, at least, Minnesota was one of the best places to be for Medicaid (federal)-funded health insurance. A family of 4 could make up into excess of $60,000 yearly and still qualify if their employer did not pay health insurance or they were self-employed. The same family in Alabama would have to earn under $5,000, if I remember correctly. Also, a lot of the very poor do not sign up for the programs they qualify for, even in good health care states like Minnesota. For example, I have a relatively poor uncle who did not sign up merely out of neglect until a social worker who my relative sees pushed it on him.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Oh doesn't sound good at all It's true that in Europe you really get your taxes worth of services, not much money goes to "security" and wars.

This is how much 1000 euros worth of cancer drugs cost in Finland:

No matter how much money you make.
Crap! I was on 24 cycles of that.

A $3.00 co-pay, and than a $0.00 co-pay, if I remember correctly. And five days at 440 mg (my dose, second phase of treatment) retailed at over $5,000 in the U.S.

However, let's not ignore the dark side of it - I went several months without a job simply to remain qualified for MinnesotaCare, and the financial side of cancer (for me, being eligible for the programs while at the same time being honest) has been nothing but a constant source of anxiety and hindrance to my personal success in life.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:20 PM

I think you could actually make an argument that Americans - a lot of them, at least - have a disdain for public transit. Public transit doesn't enter into their quality of lives, even if it is well-available to them.

For those who counter "what about the Millenialls!" (younger generation), I will say I belong to the generation. When I was in college, very few of the students took the bus, even though the student ID pass worked as a free bus pass...to the entire city. This despite generally crowded parking, and most students living near campus. Public transit is just foreign to many Americans' mentalities. Not mine, or even perhaps most people in these threads, but the "average Joe" from Andover or Lakeville, Minnesota would rather commute in his Ford F-150 pick-up truck than ride a metro or bus.

Of course, whether this constitutes responsible behavior or not is up for question, but it just goes to say that the availability of a good public transit system as a universal factor in quality-of-life is a bit of a flawed concept.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:04 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I think you could actually make an argument that Americans - a lot of them, at least - have a disdain for public transit. Public transit doesn't enter into their quality of lives, even if it is well-available to them.

For those who counter "what about the Millenialls!" (younger generation), I will say I belong to the generation. When I was in college, very few of the students took the bus, even though the student ID pass worked as a free bus pass...to the entire city. This despite generally crowded parking, and most students living near campus. Public transit is just foreign to many Americans' mentalities. Not mine, or even perhaps most people in these threads, but the "average Joe" from Andover or Lakeville, Minnesota would rather commute in his Ford F-150 pick-up truck than ride a metro or bus.

Of course, whether this constitutes responsible behavior or not is up for question, but it just goes to say that the availability of a good public transit system as a universal factor in quality-of-life is a bit of a flawed concept.
Quality of life, IMO, is being able to live car-free. When I was in college, most students rode the bus, because few had a car. I don't know how in these days of astronomical tuition rates and high student debt so many students can have cars at college...?? It's hard to believe that they do. Maybe they just live close enough to campus to walk, and don't travel around town much, except by bike.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

You hit the nail on the head.

My son lives in Austin. Austin's downtown is very walkable. Prior to moving out of town a bit, he lived about six blocks from his work. Now - he's not lazy at all. He hasn't got an ounce of fat on him, either. He could have caught the bus, or walked to work, every single day. But he bought a moped (they're very common in Austin), and puts up with having to lock it up every time he gets off it - after he got the first one stolen, he learned the importance of locking it up - rather than ride the bus, which he could easily have done from either place he's lived in Austin.

Many Americans simply do not want public transportation. I have said this so many times on this forum I am nearly blue in the face: we like cars. And we have the room for them - and the cheap gas.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:21 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

My son lives in Austin. Austin's downtown is very walkable. Prior to moving out of town a bit, he lived about six blocks from his work. Now - he's not lazy at all. He hasn't got an ounce of fat on him, either. He could have caught the bus, or walked to work, every single day. But he bought a moped (they're very common in Austin), and puts up with having to lock it up every time he gets off it - after he got the first one stolen, he learned the importance of locking it up - rather than ride the bus, which he could easily have done from either place he's lived in Austin.

Many Americans simply do not want public transportation. I have said this so many times on this forum I am nearly blue in the face: we like cars. And we have the room for them - and the cheap gas.
I wonder if this is regional, or an issue of conservative vs. liberal. In cities on the West Coast, people want public transportation. They want good transportation. A good, convenient, affordable public transportation system is the sign of an enlightened society, IMO.

And of course, this says nothing about the people who have no choice; people who can't afford a car and need public transport. What happens when you have a way of life that requires people to own cars, even if they can't afford it? People who have to look for work an hour's drive away, because the factory where they worked for 10 years closed? They end up buying cheap used cars that are unreliable, cars that break down occasionally, making the driver late for work, putting his employment at risk. It's unjust.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:42 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,467,352 times
Most americans are suburban and really have no concept of public transit, or any use for it.

The suburbs are too spread out and therefore public transit (usually buses) are terrible and slow.

If I wanted to take public transit from my house to my parents house in the suburbs it would take 3 hours. It takes 18 mintues to drive there. Unfortunately, I do not see any fix for this in the near future, or ever.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:50 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,525,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Most americans are suburban and really have no concept of public transit, or any use for it.

The suburbs are too spread out and therefore public transit (usually buses) are terrible and slow.

If I wanted to take public transit from my house to my parents house in the suburbs it would take 3 hours. It takes 18 mintues to drive there. Unfortunately, I do not see any fix for this in the near future, or ever.
Yeah most people i come in contact to don't have this strange obsession with "walkablity" "urban" areas... and aren't scared cars and highways like man people on this forum are... the car centric lifestyle is just normal to us, we are used to it.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wonder if this is regional, or an issue of conservative vs. liberal. In cities on the West Coast, people want public transportation. They want good transportation. A good, convenient, affordable public transportation system is the sign of an enlightened society, IMO.

And of course, this says nothing about the people who have no choice; people who can't afford a car and need public transport. What happens when you have a way of life that requires people to own cars, even if they can't afford it? People who have to look for work an hour's drive away, because the factory where they worked for 10 years closed? They end up buying cheap used cars that are unreliable, cars that break down occasionally, making the driver late for work, putting his employment at risk. It's unjust.
Regional, people in urban areas probably want more public transportation. people in suburban areas probably want more highways.

Not a conservative vs liberal thing at all.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

The suburban American car centric lifestyle is pretty unique i guess.... its strange how so many non American posters are so weirded out by big box stores, driving everywhere, large lots when its just the norm for a lot of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe