Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 06:12 AM

43 posts, read 112,994 times

Advertisements

In Europe, kids learn several languages whereas in America it's only English. People seem more educated and worldly. You can take a train for an hour and you land in another country. There is so much beauty and amazing food and culture in Europe. It is less wasteful, public transportation is all over, healthcare is free. I feel like America has zero appeal when compared to Europe. These are just a few....I currently live in America and sometimes I think about relocating, but I don't want to have to learn a language at my age (27), plus immigration would be another hoop. I immigrated when I was 9 years old from the middle east. As a woman I am glad to be in America versus where I came from, but I can't help but wonder how much better life would be if I was living in Europe.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:06 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
A couple of things here. Yes, they speak more languages, but if Illinois spoke one language and Missouri another, and yet Indiana another language, you would find the same thing in North America (and you do in the border states and in French Quebec). Remember that all of western Europe is about the size of the Eastern Time Zone of the USA. It is true that they are less wasteful as their resources (such as land) are less than North America. Such a situation is done out of necessity and not as an inherent consciousness (humans are all products of their environments). As for appeal, it is much like beauty - it is all in the eyes of the beholder. My wife is German and we both love Germany - however, we don't want to live there. She likes the USA but doesn't want to live here either, so we are looking at places that are less "modern" and forward thinking just because we want warmer weather year round. So what we consider ideal, others would disagree. Also, there is nowhere on earth where medical (and any other service) is free. In Europe, it is taken out in taxes, whereas in the USA, it is still taken out of your paycheck by you (and not the government). Most Euro nations have the government take the initiative to extract your medical coverage dues and in the USA, that is the individual's responsibility. Within those constructs, there are pros and cons that are probably better left to another thread lest this one be hijacked As to which one is better - that opinion will vary greatly from person to person. I personally would be happy with either one, as I am flexible and can tailor my habits and social tendencies to the environment I find myself in. That is the key. No place is perfect and only you can make yourself happy wherever you are.

Last edited by Bulldawg82; 03-16-2015 at 07:25 AM..

Old 03-16-2015, 07:18 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Remember that all of western Europe is just a tad bigger than all of Texas.
Err... Texas is about the size of France and Greece combined. All of western Europe? Not even close.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:19 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
This is gonna be good.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:24 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Err... Texas is about the size of France and Greece combined. All of western Europe? Not even close.
I stand corrected! You are right. Western Europe is about the size of our eastern time zone! Texas is just a tad bigger than France!

Old 03-16-2015, 09:04 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
Learning a new language at age 27 is no big deal, really...

If I could I'd like to learn arabic for instance, and I'm older than that.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:05 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Europe is a CONTINENT for ****s sake. Before we address this fact we can't answer any of your questions.

Is the UK better to live than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Moldova better to live than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Greece better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Netherlands better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Ireland better to live than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Italy better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Russia (The European bit) better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is France better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Germany better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Ukraine better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Malta better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to

.................................................. .................................................. ..............

Old 03-16-2015, 09:15 AM

43 posts, read 112,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Europe is a CONTINENT for ****s sake. Before we address this fact we can't answer any of your questions.

Is the UK better to live than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Moldova better to live than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Greece better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Netherlands better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Ireland better to live than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Italy better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Russia (The European bit) better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is France better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Germany better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Ukraine better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to
Is Malta better to live in than the ''USA'' yes and no depends which bit you move to

.................................................. .................................................. ..............
Thanks for your useless answer. And I don't know why everybody is talking about the size of these continents...Europe and the US are similar in size, and who cares about that anyway? The things I mentioned above are about the quality of life.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:25 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato&onion View Post
Thanks for your useless answer. And I don't know why everybody is talking about the size of these continents...Europe and the US are similar in size, and who cares about that anyway? The things I mentioned above are about the quality of life.
You are missing the point.

Europe is a collection of over 20 countries some are poor and some are super rich the quality of life between these countries are massive.

Where in Europe would you move to? Eastern Ukraine? Or Southern Italy? Its a continent (well a cultural region within Eurasia) you can't compare that to the United States which has a underlined mainstream culture, Media, politics dynamic and language that unifies the land.

Also this magical place called Europe isn't that great France, Spain, UK, Ireland, Portugal, Netherlands and Germany all have their issues.

If I was going to answer your question keeping in mind that Moldova, Bosnia, Ukraine and Russia are in Europe (not just rich Western Europe) then I'd say NO Europe isn't better than the US in terms of quality of life.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:35 AM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato&onion View Post
In Europe, kids learn several languages whereas in America it's only English. People seem more educated and worldly. You can take a train for an hour and you land in another country. There is so much beauty and amazing food and culture in Europe. It is less wasteful, public transportation is all over, healthcare is free. I feel like America has zero appeal when compared to Europe. These are just a few....I currently live in America and sometimes I think about relocating, but I don't want to have to learn a language at my age (27), plus immigration would be another hoop. I immigrated when I was 9 years old from the middle east. As a woman I am glad to be in America versus where I came from, but I can't help but wonder how much better life would be if I was living in Europe.
Where is health care free?
Only English in the US? You may want to change schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe