Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 09:14 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,117,824 times

Advertisements

I´ve been living in Spain for 3 years, I am fluent and teach English in the south. Any expats here living in Spain?

How are you liking it, what do you miss about home and what is your pros and cons to the life in sunny Spain?

Generally I love it, however I do miss some things about home but one is for sure I do not miss the Scottish weather
My fiancé is a native, though I feel like sometimes I don´t really "fit in" as the culture is completely different, its a small town of only 3000 people. Though It is "real Spain" where I live not a tourist resort so there are only a few ex pats; An Irish lady and a Swedish couple, most are retirees not many people come here to live unless they want to do seasonal work in the resorts like Benalmadena, Torremolinos, Mijas Costa etc

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 09:58 AM

96 posts, read 107,122 times
Well, south spain- scotland, are both in europe but still is a big cultural shock i think.

No wonder Why you feel dishoriented.

Why did you chiose to move there? Usually northern europeans going in southern europe do that for interest in that culture, fascination. Not for economical reasons obviously

Old 05-03-2015, 09:58 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
What line of work is your fiancé in? I'm interested in living in Spain maybe in 5 years or so working in IT. I'm an American of Spanish heritage and a native Spanish speaker (my wife is English). How do you, as a Brit, find living in Spain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultureStrenght View Post
Well, south spain- scotland, are both in europe but still is a big cultural shock i think.

Why did you chiose to move there? Usually northern europeans going in southern europe do that for interest in that culture, fascination. Not for economical reasons obviously
I wouldn't move to Spain for economic reasons. For me, it's to reconnect with my countrymen after several generations

Old 05-03-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
What line of work is your fiancé in? I'm interested in living in Spain maybe in 5 years or so working in IT. I'm an American of Spanish heritage and a native Spanish speaker (my wife is English). How do you, as a Brit, find living in Spain?

I wouldn't move to Spain for economic reasons. For me, it's to reconnect with my countrymen after several generations
Ok, i understamd.. I know a brasilian girl here (of supposedly portuguese ancestry).. She fell in love with an italian expatriate there (temporary work) and she decided they would live in italy, as she was very attracted to live in europe instead of brazil. She s a crioulla, her family arrived in Brazil in the XIX century. Proof some people still stick to themselves, she s from southern brazil

Also the case o fan italian-irish american, this guy travellec a lot, first years in usa where he was born, than was brought to italy with his mum that divorced, went on school with me, than two years ago decided to go living in london after he was dumped by his italian girlfriend. Now he lives there

Old 05-03-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:

I do not feel disorientated nor did I move for economic reasons, I spent a lot of my childhood in Mallorca. Lot´s of vacations in Spain (been visiting for 28 years) in general and we always had an interest in the culture, lifestyle, food etc. Spain is my home from home, we still have the house in Scotland so we can visit.
I moved because I prefer the outdoors lifestyle, climate, way of life in general, though don´t get me wrong there are more opportunities/stronger economy back home that`s for sure but we just prefer living in Spain. There´s big demand for learning English, jobs in this field are plentiful. My in laws have a family business in cultivation of avocado trees, mango, citrus trees, etc business is booming. It all really depends on what type of industry you want to get into. There is demand for doctors, nurses and IT skills.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Ok, i understamd.. I know a brasilian girl here (of supposedly portuguese ancestry).. She fell in love with an italian expatriate there (temporary work) and she decided they would live in italy, as she was very attracted to live in europe instead of brazil. She s a crioulla, her family arrived in Brazil in the XIX century. Proof some people still stick to themselves, she s from southern brazil
My family stuck to themselves too. I look like I'm from Spain, not the Americas.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
How do you, as a Brit, find living in Spain?
I enjoy it, being Scottish i´ve never had any problems. The local people are friendly and welcoming. Certainly there is more "gossiping" than what I am accustomed to it´s something that never really happened in my little town back home. People like to "look" more, more rudeness.

However there is certainly more of a community feel than my town. Streets are very clean, It is a well kept place, even the highways. The food is amazing, always fresh. If you love seafood it is just paradise. Costs are cheaper than back home too. Healthcare is the same as home only in Spain we have to pay for medicine (discounted).
I am not a fan of living in a British community, what is the point of moving to Spain if you don´t want to mix with the locals, I like to integrate and be sociable.

My only major gripe about Spain is the corruption, endless paperwork.

If theres anything else you would like to know feel free to ask.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
My family stuck to themselves too. I look like I'm from Spain, not the Americas.
Yes, sorry i m fashinated by theese new world stories, since it s all knew to me.. Even in my region i m one of the last 100% tuscan since almost all my age mates are a mix with other regions or completely of other region origins. I seem to steem from 1800 XD

Old 05-03-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I enjoy it, being Scottish i´ve never had any problems. The local people are friendly and welcoming. Certainly there is more "gossiping" than what I am accustomed to it´s something that never really happened in my little town back home. People like to "look" more, more rudeness.

However there is certainly more of a community feel than my town. Streets are very clean, It is a well kept place, even the highways. The food is amazing, always fresh. If you love seafood it is just paradise. Costs are cheaper than back home too. Healthcare is the same as home only in Spain we have to pay for medicine (discounted).
I am not a fan of living in a British community, what is the point of moving to Spain if you don´t want to mix with the locals, I like to integrate and be sociable.

My only major gripe about Spain is the corruption, endless paperwork.

If theres anything else you would like to know feel free to ask.
My wife is British too, so that's why I asked. We both want to move to Spain after I get British citizenship, but that's not for several more years. I'm specializing in network maintenance and administration. There's plenty of jobs in this field in the UK and Germany, but not so sure about Spain. My native language is Spanish, but I'm guessing the best chances for me would be in Madrid and Barcelona?

About the endless paperwork and corruption, unfortunately it's a cultural thing. We have the same problem in Puerto Rico too (the only Spanish speaking territory in the USA), and everything gets done with a snail's pace.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:34 AM

Yeah I heard it happens in South America too, part and parcel with the culture as you say.

Though the pros do outweigh those cons. I have a good life and make the most of it.

Don´t rule out Málaga either, it is one of the nicest cities in my opinion. It is also not as expensive as Madrid or Barcelona. You have the Costa del sol, lots of attractions nearby. The climate is also the best in Europe.

I would say give it a try with the job searching. All you can do is try anyway.

I spent some time living in the US too, may I ask why you are considering a move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe