Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Greece Get Yet Another Deadline?
Unlimited, as they come 12 50.00%
This is the ultimatum for sure 12 50.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 12:59 AM

156 posts, read 287,573 times

Advertisements

Judging by how events have unfolded for the past few years, it seems that deadlines have always been extended...for Greece to postpone 'punishment' yet again.

I was watching Bloomberg news and they were interviewing this official from Brussels about the prospects of Greece getting another deadline even if the current one due this Sunday (12 July, 2015) is not met satisfactorily. The official shrugged his shoulders helplessly and gave a wry smile.

What do you think? Is this Hellenic drama ever going to end? When will deadlines ever be taken seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 02:01 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,414 times
The Greek government has accused the EU of blackmail & terrorism, hardly the sort of attitude that would persuade their creditors to agree to a third bailout.

Tsiparas has knowingly misled the people of Greece, I believe he should resign.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:08 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,262,503 times
Why should they? It's not really going to help problems.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:59 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,602 times
I believe this is the ultimatum, the precedent governments had a different behaviour and tried to implement, although unsuccessfully for the most part, some of the reforms the UE was asking for. This one, however, is using a different and more agressive approach which will end up backfiring sooner or later.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:13 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Do people still care? It is getting tiring. Endless talk and "negotiation".

The Euro Zone doesn't seem to have a bottom line. If it keeps showing that it is so reluctant to accept a Grexit, Greece will keep taking advantage of that.

If the EZ decides to compromise again, Greece will definitely default again. And if the EZ can't survive without Greece, it probably shouldn't exist at all.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:11 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Do people still care? It is getting tiring. Endless talk and "negotiation".

The Euro Zone doesn't seem to have a bottom line. If it keeps showing that it is so reluctant to accept a Grexit, Greece will keep taking advantage of that.

If the EZ decides to compromise again, Greece will definitely default again. And if the EZ can't survive without Greece, it probably shouldn't exist at all.
I agree, it's terrible what has happened but Greece is far away. Everytime I turn on the BBC news it's all I hear, I don't really care to be honest.

It isn't going to have any effect on me anyway as I am not in a eurozone country.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:40 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,876,278 times
Washington for geopolitical reasons doesnt want Greece to leave the eurozone (proof that the € is not only a financial but also a political institution) ,and as the US calls the shots (Greece is a member of NATO), the EU will probably extend to Greece a new rescheduling of its debt. And if Merkel disagrees, Obama will send him his little yapping poodle Hollande to coerce her (and the German taxpayers) into bailing out Greece.
How shameful the whole picture.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 AM

26,782 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Washington for geopolitical reasons doesnt want Greece to leave the eurozone (proof that the € is not only a financial but also a political institution) ,and as the US calls the shots (Greece is a member of NATO), the EU will probably extend to Greece a new rescheduling of its debt. And if Merkel disagrees, Obama will send him his little yapping poodle Hollande to coerce her (and the German taxpayers) into bailing out Greece.
How shameful the whole picture.
Ah, that's what I keep on hearing...
That the US ( and IMF?) keep on putting pressure on EU to keep Greece in.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:54 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,450,938 times

Old 07-09-2015, 02:27 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
The prosperous Germans are not the most unhappy with this Greek farce. Greece has developed some bitter critics and perhaps outright enemies among those who live closer to the bone than the Greeks care to.

Poorer than Greece: the EU countries that reject a new Athens bailout | World news | The Guardian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe