Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 06:55 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times

Advertisements

I'm probably in the minority, but I have never really been interested in traveling Western Europe. I've been to Copenhagen, that's Northern but still on the same scale price-wise and how Western it is I guess. I only went there because I got a great airfare deal, but it was a pleasant surprise.

If I had all the time and money in the world, I would certainly like to travel Western Europe. But I don't, so I go to the places that interest me more. It just seems that when people picture a big Europe trip, they think Western. I'm in Prague right now and that's usually the furthest West I go. I love Eastern Europe...places like Prague, Budapest, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, etc.

London, Luxembourg, Bruges, Venice, and Portugal would definitely be high on my list. I could probably plan a whole 3-month trip to that side of Europe, but that probably won't happen for a few years. I have a much better time in the lesser-known areas.

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 08:09 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Born and raised in the Netherlands have traveled to 16 other countries, only 6 of them are in Europe (England, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Germany, Austria).
Those Euro trips were all with other family members when i was younger.
For solo travel with gf i prefer other places (USA, Eastern Asia etc.) and rather wait with Europe until after my 50's, by that time i will also have a larger budget.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:01 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
It largely depends on where you are and what your background is.

Davy-040 said he is more interested in USA and East Asia. For myself, I was raised in East Asia and lived in both US and Canada for more than 10 years. I find North America boring because everywhere looks pretty much the same with very small variation, at least culturally, so I stopped traveling there. Asia is more diverse but poor countries with very poor infrastructure make the journey less pleasant. I still travel to Asia but before I go, I need to make sure these facilities are acceptable.

After traveling somewhat extensively, I still find west Europe most beautiful and pleasant. When I say west Europe, I definitely don't include Northern Europe, but mostly from Portugal to Austria, from England to Italy. Denmark and up is boring to me, not to mention expensive for no reason. Yes there are many great nature scenes but I can see those in North America too.

I had planned to visit something like Vietnam or Cambodia but decided to give up after watching a few Youtube videos. Sorry I experienced enough of those chaos, poorly paved roads and dirty street food when I was younger. They may be a thrilling experience for a westerner, but hardly for me. I especially can't understand westerners flocking to morning or afternoon markets in other nations - I grew up living like that so I have no interest in them whatsoever. We didn't have chain grocery stores back in the days and all groceries were bought from these fresh markets.

Went to Portugal and Spain this winter, will most likely go again this late fall, probably France and Andalusia. I find myself keep returning to Europe because there is so much to see. I think small countries like Spain or France has a lot more than what a giant country like Canada/USA do, and high speed train makes going from one place to another very easy. After that I set my eyes on Greece, Montenegro, Croatia etc, but I have zero interest in Baltic countries, or Poland, or Scandinavia. I do South America or Africa too for the different experience because seeing too many castles, palaces and manicured gardens can become boring, but west Europe is still the most attractive place for me.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:05 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
I would like to go to the city my Grandmother was born in Germany and Mr. CSD would like to go to the area his family immigrated from in Ireland.
Other than those two places we have zero interest in any other areas.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It largely depends on where you are and what your background is.

Went to Portugal and Spain this winter, will most likely go again this late fall, probably France and Andalusia. I find myself keep returning to Europe because there is so much to see. I think small countries like Spain or France has a lot more than what a giant country like Canada/USA do, and high speed train makes going from one place to another very easy. After that I set my eyes on Greece, Montenegro, Croatia etc, but I have zero interest in Baltic countries, or Poland, or Scandinavia. I do South America or Africa too for the different experience because seeing too many castles, palaces and manicured gardens can become boring, but west Europe is still the most attractive place for me.
I'm from the USA, so I guess Western Europe is just too similar to America for me in that it's high priced and extremely developed. It does have a lot of history though and I would love to explore that region of Europe, it's just not a priority. So I guess that's why the cheaper countries in Europe appeal to me...all the history at half the price, and I'm more interested in them to begin with. Cities like Prague and Budapest are just as beautiful as places like Paris, but much cheaper.

The US dollar is a lot stronger against the Euro now, so that always helps. But the places that are on the Euro don't jump out at me anyways. My family is also from Poland, so I was interested to explore that area when I went there so I could see where they came from.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:30 AM

379 posts, read 359,505 times
I had no desire to go to Europe (western or eastern) until a friend forced me to visit Paris about 15 years ago. Now I really love Paris, and I find France in general very interesting and 'nice' to visit. I also like Belgium, go figure. I don't really get into the sights though, I just kind of hang out.

I've also been to Amsterdam, Copenhagen and various cities in Germany, which I did not find very interesting or pleasant to 'hang out' in, either. I suppose I prefer all of them to most cities in the USA, though. I find most places in the USA mediocre at best, which as an American, actually makes me a bit depressed and sad. (the good places in the USA I like quite a bit)

That said, I still have no desire to go to Eastern Europe, the Baltics, or even places like Greece. Maybe someone will force me there someday and I'll enjoy it. I'm going to Berlin in a week and hoping that will be cool. I have this ominous feeling that I'm going to find it boring.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:43 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
I also prefer going East in Europe if I'm travelling independently. It's just cheaper and there's more offbeat things that I find compelling. I loved hanging out in Serbia this past winter.

However, I can't deny how nice it is to stay with a friend or Couchsurf for awhile in a Western European city. If you can secure a place to stay, then self-catering and just hanging out in parks with a few beers and going for walks in any major German, Dutch, Austrian, etc. city is honestly a hard life to beat, in my eyes.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I also prefer going East in Europe if I'm travelling independently. It's just cheaper and there's more offbeat things that I find compelling. I loved hanging out in Serbia this past winter.

However, I can't deny how nice it is to stay with a friend or Couchsurf for awhile in a Western European city. If you can secure a place to stay, then self-catering and just hanging out in parks with a few beers and going for walks in any major German, Dutch, Austrian, etc. city is honestly a hard life to beat, in my eyes.
I agree completely with this. Well said.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:53 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Ive always wanted to go everywhere, and that includes Western Europe. But I dont prefer it to other regions.

At the moment, Im interested in Portugal, Paris, and Germany in Western Europe.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:40 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
I love to travel, so not only do I like western Europe, but all of it. The only place I am NOT interested in SW Asia (India/Bangladesh to the Middle East) I've been to various countries in the ME and it just isn't my cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe