Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 12:13 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,970,976 times

Advertisements

Conversation has been moved from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Estonia isn't officially a Nordic country.

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-09-2017 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 11:00 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,895,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
More Russian nonsense. Its a nordic country, part of the Hanseatic league, Denmark and Sweden for most of its history.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:02 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,970,976 times
Quote:
More Russian nonsense. Its a nordic country, part of the Hanseatic league, Denmark and Sweden for most of its history.
Then why isn't it part of the Nordic council? Btw I'm not opposed to having Estonia becoming a Nordic country, it's just that as of now it's not officially recognized as one.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:11 PM

26,848 posts, read 22,692,015 times
Quote:
That's not "Russian nonsense," - that's the way Estonia is treated by the very *Nordics.*

Old 11-08-2017, 09:31 PM

6,474 posts, read 8,222,510 times
Quote:
Naah. It is Baltic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_countries

Old 11-09-2017, 11:50 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,396,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Why do you break into with those issues here again? DKM was probably refering to the fact what according to wikipedia Skype was
#First released in August 2003, Skype was created by the Swede Niklas Zennström and the Dane Janus Friis,...#

- those Swede and Dane were the Nordics DKM had in mind. (True, in cooperation Estonians )

Quote:
It is certainly not any "Russian nonsense". Estonia has been under the German domination for 700 years-most of it's history, every Estonian town and place has a parallel name in German. What was that Hanseatic league? It was a German thing!
Here is the map of the Deutsche Hanse

Germany is not Scandiavia. As well Estonia has been under domination of Russia- for many centuries, under Poland-Lithuania too.

I know there is vociferous party of those Estonians who want to talk up it as a Scandinavian country ingnoring the facts they do not like but however, facts, even your own words are contradicting to it lol If those estonians so deeply believe that "being nordic" solves all problems of Estonia, then I am glad but- facts, facts.

Overall, i am not trying to offend anybody but don't you people thinks Nordics are overrated ? They are perfiral countries. Wealthy but still periferal. Estonia is, true a periferal country (as it is too far north) but for instance Finland - it is even more periferal country. Finns say "Europe starts from Tallinn" From *their* point of view - yes And Estonians are not same as Finns. Thankfully

Old 11-09-2017, 12:12 PM
DKM

Estonia was never part of Poland-Lithuania. It was Danish, Livonian, and Swedish until conquered by the Russians. Not too different than Finland except for the 20th century. You are confusing German with Danish yourself.

I found no difference between Estonians and Finns. The capitals looked the same except a bit poorer in Estonia and the Russian areas with their ugly communist housing but Estonians themselves look and sound like Finns to me. Not exactly the same but more similar than anyone else to Finns. In any case, it as founded as a Danish nation and much of its history tied to Denmark, going back to the Vikings. Reval was Danish. Seems as Nordic as Finland to me. Politically maybe not thanks to Soviet occupation in the last century... Apparently a majority of Estonians agree with me since I looked it up.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:22 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,396,809 times
Are you DKM, serious?

Now your arguments:
Quote:
Estonia was never part of Poland-Lithuania.
You are wrong, it was.
Quote:
It was Danish, Livonian, and Swedish until conquered by the Russians. Not too different than Finland except for the 20th century. You are confusing German with Danish yourself.
You take an academic history book where they wrote something about Estonia. Your "knowledge" is ridiculous.
Quote:
I found no difference between Estonians and Finns.
Ok, and then I will find no difference between Arabs and Jews, and of course no any difference between Russians and Ukrainians at all (that means the latter should be part of Russia for ever and case closed. )
On a serious note, Estonian and Finnish langages are by far more different than any Russian and Ukrainian. But of course, two non-IE langauges will may sound similar for you indeed, as they heavily differ from Germanic, Slavic and other languages you may usually hear.
Quote:
Reval was danish
In any case, are you sane there? Tallinn was not "founded by Danish nation", it was founded by Estonians and was occupied by Danish, on century 13th. But since 1346 Estonia has had no contacts with Danish.
Quote:
Apparently a majority of Estonians agree with me since I looked it up.
As I told that "many estonians" are a voicy internet community. I don't care what somebody says or edits in wikipedia. Internet is internet and has a life of it's own. Estonians are very small people and thus childish sometimes. Or at least childishly fetish the idea of promoting it as a Scandinavia. For me and for many others such idea sounds primitive.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:13 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
Are you DKM, serious?

Now your arguments:

You are wrong, it was.

You take an academic history book where they wrote something about Estonia. Your "knowledge" is ridiculous.

Ok, and then I will find no difference between Arabs and Jews, and of course no any difference between Russians and Ukrainians at all (that means the latter should be part of Russia for ever and case closed. )
On a serious note, Estonian and Finnish langages are by far more different than any Russian and Ukrainian. But of course, two non-IE langauges will may sound similar for you indeed, as they heavily differ from Germanic, Slavic and other languages you may usually hear.

In any case, are you sane there? Tallinn was not "founded by Danish nation", it was founded by Estonians and was occupied by Danish, on century 13th. But since 1346 Estonia has had no contacts with Danish.

As I told that "many estonians" are a voicy internet community. I don't care what somebody says or edits in wikipedia. Internet is internet and has a life of it's own. Estonians are very small people and thus childish sometimes. Or at least childishly fetish the idea of promoting it as a Scandinavia. For me and for many others such idea sounds primitive.
Not interested in expanding this argument with someone resorting to personal attacks when they are wrong. I'm detecting a Russian here with the skewed anti Estonian slant in views.

How about backing up your claim that it was part of Poland Lithuania? Some rural southern parts of the modern country were part of the commonwealth but those parts weren't Estonia then, they were Latvia then.

They aren't two unrelated IE languages, they are quite similar. You must have a Soviet level of linguistics education.

I didn't say Tallinn was "founded by Danish nation." Your straw man, go argue with yourself.

Part of Estonia was indeed part of Denmark after 1346. To claim it had no contacts with the Danish since then? Uh, the Hanseatic league would have made your statement impossible.

Sheesh no wonder they moved the Red Army statue from downtown...

Old 11-09-2017, 05:16 PM

26,848 posts, read 22,692,015 times
Quote:
Not interested in expanding this argument with someone resorting to personal attacks when they are wrong. I'm detecting a Russian here with the skewed anti Estonian slant in views.

How about backing up your claim that it was part of Poland Lithuania? Some rural southern parts of the modern country were part of the commonwealth but those parts weren't Estonia then, they were Latvia then.

They aren't two unrelated IE languages, they are quite similar. You must have a Soviet level of linguistics education.

I didn't say Tallinn was "founded by Danish nation." Your straw man, go argue with yourself.

Part of Estonia was indeed part of Denmark after 1346. To claim it had no contacts with the Danish since then? Uh, the Hanseatic league would have made your statement impossible.

Sheesh no wonder they moved the Red Army statue from downtown...
Me thinks you are dealing with an Estonian here, who doesn't like cliches as much as you do, DKM))))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe